Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

But as I said in an earlier post, this block of cuts, enormous as it seems, actually amounts to only 4% of the on-demand video for the year, so while it's highly alarming, it's surely covered by DCI's advisory.

It amounts to lot more if you're only interested in FN for the pre-2000 corps. It's a deal-breaker.

Mind explaining something? You say you're surprised DCI hadn't taken care of this before yet others say they did take care of it before but something changed that is out of their hands. Which one is it?

Lol. I have no idea.

You'd think that they'd get clearance of the six basic rights protected by copyright before posting videos, especially the right to digitally transmit sound recordings by means of digital audio transmission, prepare derivative works based upon the original, publicly perform the work, and the ability to distribute copies.

After all, one of the reasons that I've been given that 13+ place legacy videos weren't post on FN was because of "copyright" issues, which I took to mean that DCI went through the trouble of getting all the copyrights permissions for the top 12 corps each year, but not the 13+ corps. Now I'm not sure what they done.. Actually, I wasn't sure then, but didn't want to come across as having a tin foil hat. Sounds like they didn't obtain every permission of the sic pillars of copyright.

So, basically, I have no idea what DCI has done to secure copyrights on their streaming videos, and I have no idea what the "real" reason DCI has for not putting 13+ place corps on FN.

OK, I stand corrected. You are more handy with abuse than facts.

Right, because what I put about copyright law, no obligation from DCI for a refund, and their lack of a statement until they have legal advice to refrain so they do not face fines and other punishments, those weren't facts. .

I get it now.

Right, because what I put about copyright law, no obligation from DCI for a refund, and their lack of a statement until they have legal advice to refrain so they do not face fines and other punishments, those weren't facts. .

I get it now.

Don't feed the trolls. They like to get under your skin.

• Like 1

I get it now.

Legitimate question: how does e-mailing a customer base alerting them to content being removed from FN open DCI up to fines and other punishments? As was mentiomed earlier, DCI seems to be doing just that when someone contacts them asking for some sorr of explanation. If they can do one-offs, why can't they let ALL of their cutomers know? Or, is it more a case of (as is the case in a lot of the corporate world, having worked there for a long time and seen this firsthand) - we will only respond with the bad news to the people who have actually noticed and hope that the other customers haven't noticed yet? Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 2

So a FN subscription is 70 bucks? All this whining over partial removal of videos for less than half your prescription period? What do you want $10 back? How about you find it in your heart to consider it a $10 donation to the activity you love? Then you can feel good about yourself. And don't renew in June. OR would you rather DCI not remove the content and place themselves at risk of lawsuits? Seems to me DCI is acting prudently out of an abundance of caution, something the whiners here can't seem to fathom.

As we like to say, how long till the season starts?

• Like 3

Legitimate question: how does e-mailing a customer base alerting them to content being removed from FN open DCI up to fines and other punishments? As was mentiomed earlier, DCI seems to be doing just that when someone contacts them asking for some sorr of explanation. If they can do one-offs, why can't they let ALL of their cutomers know? Or, is it more a case of (as is the case in a lot of the corporate world, having worked there for a long time and seen this firsthand) - we will only respond with the bad news to the people who have actually noticed and hope that the other customers haven't noticed yet?

If this just happened, maybe they haven't had a chance to communicate yet. Some sort of release would probably go through lawyer review first. That's not a five minute exercise. OR we can don tinfoil hats and look for that second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Legitimate question: how does e-mailing a customer base alerting them to content being removed from FN open DCI up to fines and other punishments? As was mentiomed earlier, DCI seems to be doing just that when someone contacts them asking for some sorr of explanation. If they can do one-offs, why can't they let ALL of their cutomers know? Or, is it more a case of (as is the case in a lot of the corporate world, having worked there for a long time and seen this firsthand) - we will only respond with the bad news to the people who have actually noticed and hope that the other customers haven't noticed yet?

We're dealing with copyright law here. Any misstep in a public release could mean massive fines and potential jail time. Even in a simple email to subscribers.

So they're waiting to make sure their wording and timing is correct from a legal standpoint.

Same would hold true in any other business or legal matter.

And once again, they are under no obligation to say anything to any subscriber due to their terms of agreement.

Would it be nice for them to say something, yes. Will they say something, yes. Will they give a full recount of all that happened, possibly. Why, simple. It's a complicated matter that dealt with incorrectly from a legal side will not just change DCI, but all corps, BOA, WGI, etc.

Be patient people

• Like 1

Jeff Ream said you were the 3%. I guess I'm the 1%. I watch alot of DCI live shows in the summer, lots of FN in the spring and during winter I watch WGI FN and now it's temporarily closed! Oh my! Guess I'll have to watch whatever's left of DCI FN 'cause I got lots of paid days off during the holidays and we get 6 months of snow up here and I got the winter blues and haven't finished shopping and gotta start baking and cooking and wrapping and everthing else for the holidays! I look forward to my winter holiday days off work down time to watch FN. What am I going to do in lieu?

Ice fishing ?

Well... suppose DCI told all subscribers today that *all* content was being removed from the Fan Network today, but no one would be getting a refund for the five months left on their contract..

Or..... DCI decided to keep ALL the archives show content back to '74, but instead, cancelled all the live shows ( pointing to the " fine print " in the contract as within their rights ), And you get no refund, no explanation. The way you find out is to turn on your computer when you think you get the live stream , but you get a blank screen.

Raise your hand here if you think the dissatisfied, angry, frustrated, mystified, etc FN Subscribers in THIS scenario would be higher than the " 1%- 3 % " as alleged by the DCI PR machine ?