I really liked the opener and closer of Bloo 2013 as well as the "City Life" portion (I think that's what it was called?) but the everything else in the middle was pretty forgettable. I wasn't a big fan of the transitions in between movements either.

Yes, it was Mvt. 1 of Steve Reich's City Life (otherwise titled Check It Out).

That portion, and the Bryant Concerto used in the closer were the musical highlights of the show for me. Visually, the opening and closing sequences were just masterpieces.

I had the time to visit Spring Training again on Friday.

The attendees were asked to refrain from documenting rehearsal, so I will not give any spoilers.

However....

Last year we saw this design team take a simple concept and present the crap out of it. From the field to the horns down position to the ramps, the theme was carried through with thought and precision.

This year will be similar. Kinetic Noise is certainly more esoteric, but the things they are throwing at you instantly resonate with the theme and identity of the show. That's not to say the effects are simple. I'm still not sure how some of the things I saw were done.

It was very, very impressive.

I think the Bluecoats design team is to be commended. I believe you will think so too next Wednesday!

• Like 6

The attendees were asked to refrain from documenting rehearsal,

Why? It's not like we're splitting the atom here. The secrecy thing of some corps is just ridiculous. That being said, I'm not a Bluecoats hater. I've enjoyed all their shows since 2012.

Why? It's not like we're splitting the atom here. The secrecy thing of some corps is just ridiculous.

I don't get it either...If they want to be that hard corps, they should like the corps brawl again

Why? It's not like we're splitting the atom here. The secrecy thing of some corps is just ridiculous. That being said, I'm not a Bluecoats hater. I've enjoyed all their shows since 2012.

What's wrong with some element of surprise? Although, I appreciate the Cadets approach to showing rehearsals. I've now seen the show that they have so far 3-4 times. I'm okay with skipping seeing it live at the first show that I attend this summer where they are in the line-up. I'm not as interested in it now.

• Like 1

I like to use this analogy:

Why do stand-up comedians get angry when people record their open mics/small club performances? Because they're trying out new material to get a feel for it, some of which gets immediately cut. The last thing they want is seeing their discarded material recorded and representing them.

The same thing applies to groups who want to go that route. If a corps wants to wait until the first show for people to get a read on it, I think that makes sense. It works for the majority of finalist groups.

It's nice to generate early season buzz, like what the Cadets and other groups are doing with Periscope, but there's still two months left in the season. There's better content yet to come that promotes the activity AND keeps the die-hard fans happy.

The ultimate goal is to grow a paying audience, not give away rough work-in-progress content like you're running a "Ma and Pa" store.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 5

You can watch all you want pre-tour--but the best surprise- is when you see it on the field- corps and guard in proper unis- that is when it really comes to life. I like watching how a show is put together. I watched pre-tour last year-but when I saw it live in Akron----way up high- TILT really came to life even more.

• Like 2