I had the time to visit Spring Training again on Friday.

The attendees were asked to refrain from documenting rehearsal,

Why? It's not like we're splitting the atom here. The secrecy thing of some corps is just ridiculous. That being said, I'm not a Bluecoats hater. I've enjoyed all their shows since 2012.

Hehe atom. Kinetic.

Don't know if that was planned.

I like to use this analogy:

Why do stand-up comedians get angry when people record their open mics/small club performances? Because they're trying out new material to get a feel for it, some of which gets immediately cut. The last thing they want is seeing their discarded material recorded and representing them.

The same thing applies to groups who want to go that route. If a corps wants to wait until the first show for people to get a read on it, I think that makes sense. It works for the majority of finalist groups.

It's nice to generate early season buzz, like what the Cadets and other groups are doing with Periscope, but there's still two months left in the season. There's better content yet to come that promotes the activity AND keeps the die-hard fans happy.

The ultimate goal is to grow a paying audience, not give away rough work-in-progress content like you're running a "Ma and Pa" store.

This sums it up best. Great points. I, like any fan, love a little teaser during the off-season. I especially love the audio-only clips we get over the winter by certain corps, and I think we can thank the Cadets for being so open about that. But ultimately when it comes to spring training I guess it depends on your philosophy, but I prefer to NOT see every significant change to your show during the initial stages of spring training. If a corps decides to NOT show anything, I have no problem with that. It's not about giving up trade secrets so much, but I think some organizations would rather spend their time figuring out what works and planning for changes. Perhaps they also wish to do without the negative talk about their show before the world even has a chance to see it in a somewhat finished phase.

Even going back to my days on the Bluecoats board I know the corps is strict about when, how, and where content is released. I see that as a positive. They simply have a different philosophy from other corps and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

I watch some of what is available but not everything and I don't go to great lengths to search for it. I follow various corps announcements, FB posts, etc., but often when I see a video I'm not overly excited and for good reason. One the video may not be of the best quality and second since the corps is stil learning the piece or portion of the show, they have yet to own it. You can see the hard work, dedication, and a growth in intensity, and this whets my appetite, but I have not often watched a corps video from camps or as they prepare for the season that excites me or makes me make a bold prediction. The exception is last year, and in many cases I was wrong.

As far as Bluecoats is concerned, video snippets would not be helpful, at least for me. I usually find their shows to be a conglomeration of all kinds of material that stand alone might not work but somehow gets weaved into incredibly interesting and memorable shows. So if Bluecoats by choice does not release much preseason, that's fine with me because they'll no doubt impress me when I see them live.

As an alum, I am so nervous about this show. Source music seems incredibly out there but also in their realm. Hipster me loves Justin Vernon, but Woods seems like such a strange track for Bloo. Honestly Kanye did wonders with that track (Hate will ensue I'm sure), but it's an awkward piece. The whole repertoire seems a bit contentious. Electric counterpoint and Shaker Loops are a little same-soundy/repetitive. But Gene Takes a Drink and an Animated Description of Mr. Maps really have that TILT feel. Yet I'm so worried. This is either the best Bloo show ever or a barely top 6. But the homer in me leans to top 3 for the year. This will be incredible if pulled off.

• Like 1

I had the time to visit Spring Training again on Friday.

The attendees were asked to refrain from documenting rehearsal,

Why? It's not like we're splitting the atom here. The secrecy thing of some corps is just ridiculous. That being said, I'm not a Bluecoats hater. I've enjoyed all their shows since 2012.

They could still be working through sync rights for the DVD/Blueray. If they are and people post things, it may jeopardize obtaining rights.

Nevermind.

Edited by jjeffeory

As far as Bluecoats is concerned, video snippets would not be helpful, at least for me. I usually find their shows to be a conglomeration of all kinds of material that stand alone might not work but somehow gets weaved into incredibly interesting and memorable shows. So if Bluecoats by choice does not release much preseason, that's fine with me because they'll no doubt impress me when I see them live.

That is also their time to "try things." In 2008, there was a full day where cheesy, BOA-level naration was played throughout The Boxer ballad. It was immediately cut the next day. If someone were to have recorded that one day/run-through, people would have gotten the wrong impression of something that won't even be in the show.I can understand them only wanting the world to see a more finished and cohesive product.

(But darn if I don't want to hear an audio clip of the drumline and hornline, I'm dying over here)

Saw ensemble last nite. The show is "complete" -but of course that means nothing right now. I dig this show- ALOT. Not having really seen anybody but The Cadets, this show is most likely a top 3 show this year. Cannot wait to see this show POP on the field with uniforms, silks and different props.

• Like 4