I would imagine it's going to be a few more years before Bluecoats can really "establish" themselves in any section since none have taken home a trophy before. They are very much on the right track to rolling with the "big dogs" of DCI and be right in the thick of things. I truly hope they can continue this trend in coming years. Eventually, they will have an undeniable year enough to run away with the gold a la BD. (crossing fingers, of course)

I am genuinely asking, so please don't freak out: why should a corps or section have to "establish" themselves? Judges are judging the corps each night against each other, or is that being naive?

What you are saying sounds like "earning your dues". First of all, what are people's opinions on establishing themselves in a section? And secondly, shouldn't a corps who has been around for over 40 years with several long-time staff have "established" themselves? Is it because judges learn over several years what a designer or section head is trying to do? What about new judges?

For the record, I don't buy it. If you are good, you're good. Sections and corps' have captured lightning in a bottle before.

I am genuinely asking, so please don't freak out: why should a corps or section have to "establish" themselves? Judges are judging the corps each night against each other, or is that being naive?

What you are saying sounds like "earning your dues". First of all, what are people's opinions on establishing themselves in a section? And secondly, shouldn't a corps who has been around for over 40 years with several long-time staff have "established" themselves? Is it because judges learn over several years what a designer or section head is trying to do? What about new judges?

For the record, I don't buy it. If you are good, you're good. Sections and corps' have captured lightning in a bottle before.

When has a corps ever gone from 6th-7th to magically being a gold contender each year in the past 20 years? Yes they call it night by night, but success draws talent. Bluecoats have had a slow climb up the ladder for years before they could even break into medal territory. But their brass arranger and percussion arranger have been the same for many more years than that. Why do you think that is? Magically one year "writing better" than the other years? Success breeds future success. I truly think Bloo CAN win it all this year. But it will be many years of those successes before people consider them "consistent" in said successes.

And yes, people have capture "lightning in a bottle" before. But how did the following season go for them? And did they have any prior high placements? Cadets 2011- they had the right show and previous successes to back it. Crown 2013- two otts and two medal finishes before they "captured lightning in a bottle" enough to win it. Same goes with Bloo. One silver medal a legacy does not make.

When has a corps ever gone from 6th-7th to magically being a gold contender each year in the past 20 years? Yes they call it night by night, but success draws talent. Bluecoats have had a slow climb up the ladder for years before they could even break into medal territory. But their brass arranger and percussion arranger have been the same for many more years than that. Why do you think that is? Magically one year "writing better" than the other years? Success breeds future success. I truly think Bloo CAN win it all this year. But it will be many years of those successes before people consider them "consistent" in said successes.

And yes, people have capture "lightning in a bottle" before. But how did the following season go for them? And did they have any prior high placements? Cadets 2011- they had the right show and previous successes to back it. Crown 2013- two otts and two medal finishes before they "captured lightning in a bottle" enough to win it. Same goes with Bloo. One silver medal a legacy does not make.

And a bronze 😊

Sorry to be so lazy that I won't search this long thread for the answer, but I am curious about the source material for the voice samples used in the show. Can someone help me with that? The opening seems to me to be news media clips? I swear I can make out the words Bill O"Reilly, and the recorded corps introduction sounds like classic a Walter Cronkite voice. And what is the "seems to wear his hair long" segment in the drum feature? It's like an APB thing? Absolutely love the mood/vibe this show establishes using electronics, and live it's so much more effective than on any webcast. Had a great time watching them Saturday before East!

Truman...check out some of the source material for the show, especially "An Animated Description of Mr Maps" by the Books.

You may call me brother now.

Yes brother, I know...

NOW! LOL thanks!

I want all the American people to understand that it is perfectly understandable that the American people cannot possibly understand...hehe

Edited by truman

I would imagine it's going to be a few more years before Bluecoats can really "establish" themselves in any section since none have taken home a trophy before. They are very much on the right track to rolling with the "big dogs" of DCI and be right in the thick of things. I truly hope they can continue this trend in coming years. Eventually, they will have an undeniable year enough to run away with the gold a la BD. (crossing fingers, of course)

Coats are definitely trending up. I was afraid they might not be able to sustain and build on the success from last year. They've done that and more and they'll start to get a bump in the talent level as a bonus. Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 2

Yes brother, I know...

NOW! LOL thanks!

I want all the American people to understand that it is perfectly understandable that the American people cannot possibly understand...hehe

There is nothing to understand.

Great show again tonight, Blooooo! Tied with Cadets! Indy is going to be very interesting...

• Like 1