Southern BD...not everyone is going to get into the music the Coats have selected the last couple of years, but isn't that true for any corps? I think the Coats design team in '14 and '15, with their gifted arrangers, have done an incredible job of taking music and composers that many may have never heard before and creating something outstanding for drum corps.

Again, not for all, but I think MANY would agree the Coats have really established a style and sound that is now signature Bluecoats.

Sure hope you get to experience it live!

I will be attending DCI Atlanta so I will be able to see the Bluecoats live!

To be honest, I'm not a fan of this style, but that doesn't mean they're not performing the crap out of it.

As I said, perhaps seeing them live will change my tune!

What is going on with at the very end where they are playing but then put their horns down? Is it a "audio illusion" in that the sound is actually coming from the speakers and they are just pretending to play? The effect is lost on me.

They are actually playing the chord for a few bars and then gradually all put their horns down and the chord turns to static. It's easier to tell what's going on when you see it live.

The nuanced demand in this show is incredible. The intro to the closer? Having the soloists play 49 yards apart but perfectly in time. All the pods around the field lining up with a corps front field that is booking it is insane. Might seem silly but the guard having the unison slow movement in the ballad and having good balance/muscle control (I may only be impressed because I'm out of shape?)

I love this show. BD found an amazing staff many years ago that led them to many successes. I hope this team does the same.

• Like 1

Wow, I can't believe I have to say this about the Coats 2 years in a row but the music is once again doing nothing for me. At all. I just feel like the music is kind of abstract and not going anywhere for about 30 seconds until BIG HIIIIT.

Maybe its because i've only seen it on video? I hope so. I REALLY liked the Coats' 2012 music, but I didn't like it till I saw them live. Hoping that's the case here.

Anyone who's seen them live know if there's layers I'm not hearing because its a video?

If what you came for is a strong and obvious melody, you're looking in the wrong place. Bluecoats have become the pioneers of introducing new music to the activity, and currently melody hasn't been much of a part of their source music selections. I love these shows though.

If what you came for is a strong and obvious melody, you're looking in the wrong place. Bluecoats have become the pioneers of introducing new music to the activity, and currently melody hasn't been much of a part of their source music selections. I love these shows though.

The Bluecoats have finally found their niche in the DCI landscape, and are owning it. This year's show is already proving that what they are trying to do they can do extremely well, and attract top level talent to execute it.

If I were marching age, and was "into" music, I would have them at the top of my list to audition for. They strike me as a fun corps to be a part of, one that other corps members stick around to watch and wish they were out there performing their shows. I already find myself going back and listening to their show over and over again. They have an amazingly rich and balanced sound that only improves with volume (hard to do), and you can tell the members know the crowd gets the show and loves it.

It is clear that BD has the best talent year after year. They walk onto the field and execute books at a level that no one can touch, especially early in the season. That is all due to the fact that they have fantastic, well-trained players waiting in the wings, either in-house or at second tier corps. But it seems to me that Crown and Bluecoats have found a way to establish themselves as a cooler, more innovative version of BD. I hate to say it, but it's the sort of image BD used to be known for and now is just "the judges' favorite." People don't line up at the door to see BD anymore. They want to see what Crown and Coats are doing "this year."

Like it or not, kids are kids, and they want to be a part of something fun and exciting. What Bluecoats is doing now is just flat out fun to watch. And I for one think this will be the year they take their first of many gold medals.

Yeah I just watched a field-level view of this show on this website that starts with a "Y", and I have to say it's a pretty good show. Way too much electronics though and I hope that only becomes THEIR signature. But I can't wait to see this show live. That hornline is fantastic.

• Like 1

one that other corps members stick around to watch and wish they were out there performing their shows.

Really? How could you possibly know this?

Yeah I just watched a field-level view of this show on this website that starts with a "Y", and I have to say it's a pretty good show. Way too much electronics though and I hope that only becomes THEIR signature. But I can't wait to see this show live. That hornline is fantastic.

It's a very well written and balanced show which could win. Cadets have a very well written and balanced show that can win. That's my feeling after seeing the corps I have seen so far and none of them live until Allentown on Monday.
  • Like 1