SCV 2015

To my ear it’s a bit of both but I’d lean toward having a better book. I was expecting stronger books from JD. Last year they handed way too much off of the music to the Front Ensemble for my tastes while they had the horns doing visual which didn’t pay off as much as they may have hoped. I feel they are unbalanced the past few years, too much music is being given to the drum line and too much of the show is designed around the drum line at the expensive of the brass.

This show is interesting but it feels more effect than musical

I agree with this 100%. It takes a while into the show before the brass actually plays while on the move. I love their show this year, but it is a 5th place show in design and execution.

Lets bash BD so you can make a point. Right on.

Not bashing, just stating fact. The BDs stand still or move slowly while playing (beautifully) much more than SCV or any other top 10 corps.

It's their style and it's not a matter that can be disputed.

Not bashing, just stating fact. The BDs stand still or move slowly while playing (beautifully) much more than SCV or any other top 10 corps.

It's their style and it's not a matter that can be disputed.

Well, I don't know if BD stands still while playing anymore than SCV this year. SCV doesn't play much on the move this year.

• Like 1

Well, I don't know if BD stands still while playing anymore than SCV this year. SCV doesn't play much on the move this year.

You're close, but when they are playing they are generally moving except for the opening hit. You could say that SCV moves without playing a lot though. Edited by Clutchtow

Santa Clara asking the crowd to light their cell phones as they take the field tonight at Lucas Oil!! Awesome!! I hope it catches on every night, and DCI captures it! It's kind of a visual Vanguard yell!

Good luck tonight SCV!!! I'll be watching at the theater!!

• Like 2

Santa Clara asking the crowd to light their cell phones as they take the field tonight at Lucas Oil!! Awesome!! I hope it catches on every night, and DCI captures it! It's kind of a visual Vanguard yell!

Good luck tonight SCV!!! I'll be watching at the theater!!

Didn't they do this with Pride of Cincinnati at WGI Guard Championships back in April?
  • Like 1

Content has to be achieved to be relevant?

Which is stupid in my opinion, then why have rep and achievement, and not just Achievement?

It makes sense, strangely. Look at a classical music buyer's guide: the key differences between multiple renditions of, say, a concerto are in the strength of the performance, and what that performance reveals about the written piece. A great performance/interpretation (achievement) heightens your ability to see the nuances and genius of the source material (content).

A high school performance of Beethoven's "Grosse Fugue" isn't going to be as intellectually invigorating as the Takács Quartet's version. An inexperienced actor playing Stan Kowalski won't bring out the genius of "Streetcar"'s writing the way Marlon Brando did.

Think of any drum corps show that you didn't "get" until late in the season, when the corps had finally mastered it, and you can see why achievement shapes your unederstanding of the content.

• Like 1

It makes sense, strangely. Look at a classical music buyer's guide: the key differences between multiple renditions of, say, a concerto are in the strength of the performance, and what that performance reveals about the written piece. A great performance/interpretation (achievement) heightens your ability to see the nuances and genius of the source material (content).

A high school performance of Beethoven's "Grosse Fugue" isn't going to be as intellectually invigorating as the Takács Quartet's version. An inexperienced actor playing Stan Kowalski won't bring out the genius of "Streetcar"'s writing the way Marlon Brando did.

Think of any drum corps show that you didn't "get" until late in the season, when the corps had finally mastered it, and you can see why achievement shapes your unederstanding of the content.

Well said! You've explained this better than I've ever heard it explained, and it now makes sense (at least to me).

• Like 1