SCV 2015

Seems like this would be a good spot for the "Vanguard" yell. The crowd yells "Vanguard", to light up the corps, which in turn "lights up" the crowd!

That would be a really awesome moment and something we always think about with this show. Though as has been discussed in other places, the current SCV design team doesn't seem to design specifically for "Vanguard" yell moments like some other SCV design teams did. That's not intended to be a shot as this crew - they've put together some beautiful musical arrangements the last few seasons. I wonder if this is something they'd like to see people do or not. I know some aren't crazy about the yell...but I've always thought it's cool and unique to them. Just like "bloooing", "SUTA", etc.

GO SANTA CLARA! (bump).

That would be a really awesome moment and something we always think about with this show. Though as has been discussed in other places, the current SCV design team doesn't seem to design specifically for "Vanguard" yell moments like some other SCV design teams did. That's not intended to be a shot as this crew - they've put together some beautiful musical arrangements the last few seasons. I wonder if this is something they'd like to see people do or not. I know some aren't crazy about the yell...but I've always thought it's cool and unique to them. Just like "bloooing", "SUTA", etc.

I'm not too familiar with SCV's show this year as I wasn't much of a fan when I checked it out a week or two ago, but I think that the design team should insert a spot for the Vanguard yell if there isn't a spot already. It can really add to the emotional/physical impact of the show overall. I loved how people did the yell in 2013 and hearing the SUTA yell in 2003's closer really adds to the moment. Not really suggesting this to improve Vanguard's score in any way, but more to add to the entertainment of the show

• Like 1

I was fortunate enough to be able to help SCV get the Tesla Coils going prior to the Fresno show.

I saw this effect the Wednesday(22nd) night at the Little Rock DCI Arkansas show. I was watching on DCI Live! Since I don't have 10mbps internet service, the resolution I get out of it at 4.5 mbps is crap(360P). That said... we did notice the effect when the corps is aligned in a set of "rays " going from a single point out to the rightmost tesla coils. The member's backs are turned to us they light their white sashes up then they all turn toward the crowd. The horn line are quiet because they're gesturing/dancing with their arms outstretched.

The top silver donut feature of the Tesla coils also get lit up but I don't recall when that happens exactly.

I think this is a perfect spot for the "Vanguard" yell... while their backs are turned to us... they turn and then BANG! The crowd goes crazy! BUT I think the moment just before the first hit is already taken. Relatively small crowd in Arkansas, it'll be interesting to see how the fans react in Atlanta.

Regarding lighting on the uniforms, can anyone confirm if this is a DCI first? I know Blue Devils had lit up props last year for Felliniesque, but uniforms?

So do y'all think is holding SCV back from pulling into 4th? I honestly can't put my finger on it, it seems like every night they have strong runs, but the scores aren't showing any gaps being closed.

So do y'all think is holding SCV back from pulling into 4th? I honestly can't put my finger on it, it seems like every night they have strong runs, but the scores aren't showing any gaps being closed.

I can't say anything about GE but SCV's style of drill is really holding them back in the visual side of things. Until they change the style to a more normal distance between each marcher, they're going to always look dirty and suffer both in Visual proficiency and the visual side of GE. Their hornline is not pulling its weight either (despite having JD Shaw...)

Edited by Cappybara

Honestly, execution. Their vehicle is good but there is still a good amount of visual dirt and fuzz to some forms. Also just keeping consistent balance through all portions of the show. Sometimes there are a few stick outs

I can't say anything about GE but SCV's style of drill is really holding them back in the visual side of things. Until they change the style to a more normal distance between each marcher, they're going to always look dirty and suffer both in Visual proficiency and the visual side of GE. Their hornline is not pulling its weight either (despite having JD Shaw...)

See I respectfully disagree. I think the close forms enhance the GE. Harder to clean, yes, but it lets them change the shape of the form more rapidly to more closely contour the musical shaping. It also makes the drill more exciting and mesmerizing. They took 1st in visual analysis at another show earlier in the season, so its definitely not hurting them there.

I agree on the brass part though, but even then they aren't that far behind in brass. They took fourth this evening.

Edited by Clutchtow