SCV 2015

It looks like the tightened interval drill is becoming their identity. It is unique to them at the moment.

It actually reminds me of the Garfield Cadets after Zingali joined and they introduced their new drill style. The intervals were tight as well but up to that point nothing like it had been seen and there was nothing to compare it to.

I agree it's their identity and I love it, just giving reasons as to what's holding them back

Having marched during one of SCV's (only) two Jim Ott Award years I'm inclined to agree with just_another_fanatic and Cappybara. At the time the brass staff had a cohesion dating back to '81 that lasted most of the decade until the rise of the Green Machine in the early 90's. The "driving force" behind both Red and Green's brass program was the same person, and the further along it went the more awkward the Red relationship became and eventually they parted. I know he is older now but I would love to see that individual make one more run as SCV's caption head; he uncorked the volume (you can hear the difference starting in '82) and had a motivational style that at times was epic in its subtlety.

If you are a top notch brass player in this decade "the" place to be is CC, BD, and Cadets. IMO BC have entered that conversation as well. As an aside, I find it fulfilling to have one of the Impulse 2014 kids I taught contributing so well to SCV 2015's trumpet section; I hope my son (who played trumpet & mello with Impulse 2014 & 2015 and has 6 years of eligibility remaining) might make that leap as well someday, but where he goes is up to him.

• Like 5

Having marched during one of SCV's (only) two Jim Ott Award years I'm inclined to agree with just_another_fanatic and Cappybara. At the time the brass staff had a cohesion dating back to '81 that lasted most of the decade until the rise of the Green Machine in the early 90's. The "driving force" behind both Red and Green's brass program was the same person, and the further along it went the more awkward the Red relationship became and eventually they parted. I know he is older now but I would love to see that individual make one more run as SCV's caption head; he uncorked the volume (you can hear the difference starting in '82) and had a motivational style that at times was epic in its subtlety.

If you are a top notch brass player in this decade "the" place to be is CC, BD, and Cadets. IMO BC have entered that conversation as well. As an aside, I find it fulfilling to have one of the Impulse 2014 kids I taught contributing so well to SCV 2015's trumpet section; I hope my son (who played trumpet & mello with Impulse 2014 & 2015 and has 6 years of eligibility remaining) might make that leap as well someday, but where he goes is up to him.

Though scores might not reflect it, I think SCV should be thrown in the talks. Their tone very rarely over-reaches and all instruments can be heard on every chord.

I have not even come close to hearing a BD Contra line since the inception of synth bass in the pit. Now, that is their ONLY bass. SCV does not have this problem.

1) Rise of the Bluecoats and Crown made SCV's permanent fixture in the top 4 a thing of the past.

Hmm. Sort of history repeating, then? Glancing at the DCI years in which SCV was not in the top four, there appears to be one blip and longer two periods:

1980 -- 7th, behind BD, 27th, Bridgemen, Spirit, Phantom, Scouts

1990 -- 6th, behind Cadets, Cavs, Star, BD, Phantom

1992 -- 7th: behind Cavs, Cadets, Star, BD, Scouts, Xmen

1993 -- 7th: behind Cadets, Star, Phantom, BD, Cavs, Scouts

1994 -- 5th: behind BD, Cadets, Phantom, Cavs

1995 -- 6th: behind Cavs, Cadets, BD, Scouts, Phantom

1996 -- 5th: behind BD, Phantom, Cadets, Cavs

2003 -- 5th: behind BD, Cavs, Cadets, Phantom

2005 -- 8th: behind Cadets, Cavs, Phantom, BD, Bloo, Scouts, Crown

2006 -- 6th: behind Cavs, Phantom, BD, Bloo, Cadets

2007 -- 5th: behind BD, Cadets, Cavs, Phantom

2008 -- 7th: behind Phantom, BD, Cavs, Crown, Cadets, Bloo

2009 -- 5th: behind BD, Crown, Cadets, Cavs

2010 -- 7th: behind BD, Cavs, Bloo, Crown, Cadets, Phantom

2011 -- 6th: behind Cadets, BD, Cavs, Crown, Phantom

2012 -- 5th: behind BD, Crown, Phantom, Cadets

Star and a resurgent Scouts were factors in the early 90s period, it seems, and as you say, Bloo and Crown more recently. But a contributing reason to their better placement the past two years might be the (presumably temporary) decline in the Cavs' fortunes.

I love the show this year, but, what a great drum book SCV has.

I have not even come close to hearing a BD Contra line since the inception of synth bass in the pit. Now, that is their ONLY bass. SCV does not have this problem.

SCV can only dream of having the " problems " that BD has ( lol!)

The recap from Dallas last has BD with a 17.0 in brass and SCV posting a 16.8...I'll wait till the next show to see if this is a real move, but this seems like a huge move!

• Like 1

I have not even come close to hearing a BD Contra line since the inception of synth bass in the pit.

In "Ink", BD's contras come through very clear at one point early in the show, but as a general rule lately, I think your statement holds.

TRacer, I think it is OK to mention DCI HOF'er Tim Salzman by name. I hold him in the same high esteem as do you.