Relaxed/strict drum corps rehearsal

I agree that the OP may be referring to treatment by instructors rather than actual work and break times.

I have watched a number of corps rehearse over the years and while I have not witnessed what I would call out and out abusive behavior by instructors in recent years, drum corps is not for the faint of heart. I have heard some comments from instructors that I believe are obnoxious and not helpful, but people who march with these corps love the corps and the instructors. My guess is the relationship that develops is critical. Some names known and not so well known may not have an overflowing amount of finesse, tact, and diplomatic tendencies, but corps members know they know how to bring out the best in a corps and have their backs. That can make a difference.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

I once read of the following piece of advice being given to a young athlete, who was feeling particularly intimidated by his coach. One of the assistant coaches pulled the young man aside and counseled him by saying "Just listen to what he says...not how he says it." Years later, that same player came to idolize that coach like few others.

• Like 2

Cadets= death camp so I would check them off your list. BD relaxed, smart focused rehearsals.

Have you watched the Cadets rehearse recently? I think the days of the Cadets beating kids into submission are over. Its a much more intellectual process than it used to be.

• Like 1

I believe you have to decide what the goal is. If you are looking to join a potential champion, then it is likely you will see a much more intense rehearsal. If you are wanting simply to experience the activity and you aren't concerned about placements, then low tier division II may offer a more relaxed atmosphere.

I think what he/she will find is that if a member is not prepared or focused or lackadaisical, pressure is far more likely to come from his/her fellow members.

That's the way it was in BD when I marched...I felt the pressure FAR more from the vets than I EVER from from the staff.

'Course, those same vets also led by example...they were always the first to ting the horn bell to acknowledge a frack, drop for pushups, run back to their sets, etc...

Making a mistake was not the issue -- especially early on in learning a chart or drill -- not acknowledging the mistake was yours was by FAR the greater sin.

They set a great example for rookies like me to follow...and that gets passed on.

The staff only need ex[plain what they want done, how to do it, and channel the energy.

• Like 1

Have you watched the Cadets rehearse recently? I think the days of the Cadets beating kids into submission are over. Its a much more intellectual process than it used to be.

I'd agree

I once read of the following piece of advice being given to a young athlete, who was feeling particularly intimidated by his coach. One of the assistant coaches pulled the young man aside and counseled him by saying "Just listen to what he says...not how he says it." Years later, that same player came to idolize that coach like few others.

My guess is the relationship that develops is critical. Some names known and not so well known may not have an overflowing amount of finesse, tact, and diplomatic tendencies, but corps members know they know how to bring out the best in a corps and have their backs. That can make a difference.

I agree 100%!!! As long as the members of any group know that you will "go to bat" for them, then the rest is just personality. I have been in groups where you got the "Phil Jackson" type of "zen" approach, and others where it is the "Bobby Knight" get it right or I will f$%^ing kill you (maybe that's Vandy's coach now...) mentality. In both cases I knew to listen to what the instructors/directors said, and not how they said it.

Noooo

Another drum corps tradition thrown in the ashcan

unless by intellectual you mean they just use fancier words to call you human scum while taking away your free days?

Noooo

Another drum corps tradition thrown in the ashcan

unless by intellectual you mean they just use fancier words to call you human scum while taking away your free days?

There ARE days..... :ninja::ninja::ninja:

Drum Corps is intense, competitive. None of it will make you truly " relaxed ". if you like things" relaxing" in your music career for the summer, try joining a local summer band concert that play relaxing music on the half shell to old people that sit on lawn chairs. There's no competition, the band leaders usually let you come and go as you please, it won't cost you anything, and the people in the lawn chairs are likewise so relaxed that by the 3rd song, half of 'em fall asleep in their lawn chairs. Don't do Drum Corps would be my advice, as if they determine that you are looking for something " relaxing " , they probably won't want you with them anyway.