Celebrate Israel Parade

Going back to the thread ,anyone know why 3 corps failed to show for this parade? Excelsor -Windsor Regiment and Cadets 2 ????

Edited by Florida Sun

Going back to the thread ,anyone know why 3 corps failed to show for this parade? Excelours -Windsor Regiment and Cadets 2 ????

Cadets2 had a housing and scheduling issue that lead to them having to bow out. George talked about it on Facebook earlier in the week leading up to the parade.

Edited by Kamarag

Any idea how long the parade vids stay up? May not see it for a while as going away for a HS commencement... NO not mine...

PS Soupy Sales... another graduate of Marshall Univ in Huntington WV.... Have relatives in H-ton and one cousin went to Marshall...

Of course, any hijacked thread would not be complete without mentioning Sandy Becker and Soupy Sales. :tongue:

... or Sonny Fox and Wonderama!

:-)

• Like 3

Parade video's are up for the last 6 years so no problem catching it at a later date

• Like 1

Rats, the video was made private.

Fortunately (maybe), the 2015 Youtube video is still available here on the Celebrate Israel page. Here are the times I clock for the corps' appearances. In most cases, you can hear the corps for a little longer than you actually see them, but my numbers are for when they’re visible onscreen:

1. Sunrisers: 32:50-33:23 and 33:37-34:55. All of this is during interview with a violinist at the MC stand, which is very annoying. They are identified by an onscreen caption.

2. Hurricanes: at 46:34-46:54 they’re visible in the distance, and at 47:34-48:14 they pass behind an interview with a Knesset member; the interviewer says, “as we try to talk over the horns here”. The corps is never identified.

3. Raiders: 1:22:33-1:24:23. This is the only corps to get a proper introduction from the MCs (that actually appears onscreen; see my "Finally" note below).

4. Saints Brigade: 1:41:08-1:41:45. Although they are identified by a caption, the only sound while they appear is that from the “house band” playing by the grandstand.

5. Fusion Core: 1:47:44-1:48:08 and 1:48:31-1:49, as the MCs discuss shwarma. One of them refers to Fusion as a “marching band”; the corps is never identified.

6. Bushwackers: 2:37:25-2:38:25. The corps is never identified, and their performance is quickly covered up by the amplified recording from the float behind them.

Finally, there is the marching ensemble at 2:54:53-2:55:59. One of the MCs identifies them as Excelsior Drum and Bugle Corps, and reads a long description and history of the corps. But their instrumentation includes concert baritones, trombones, sousaphones—and woodwinds! Only in the last seconds of this clip does the other MC cry, “Oh, wait, wait, wait!” as she notices their banner, which reveals the group to be the Upper Schuykill Marching Band.

In short: I hope all the corps were paid well, because they earned little in terms of televised publicity.

Something else I found curious: the hosts describe the song played by the house band starting at 58:15 as a new work, but whatever the Hebrew lyrics might be, the melody sounds just like "The City of New Orleans” to me.

Although the video ends after three hours, the shot of the parade at the end suggests that it wasn't over at that time.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

11165236_10153272016835432_6566816666770

Parade coverage continues to be ... less than stellar.

Yup. Although "Bugel" for "Bugle" is perhaps only a bit worse than "Isreal" for "Israel".

(Not to mention "Excelsiour" for "Excelsior", "Sunrsers" for "Sunrisers", and "Bushwacker's" for "Bushwackers".)

• Like 1

I watched some of the broadcast of this parade. If you're hoping for sunshiny and rainbowy comments to follow here, stop reading now.

That whole presentation was absolute crap. All of it. I understand this isn't Macy's, or the Rosebowl, or anything else, but it looked like it was haphazardly thrown together and managed by technical directors that do not speak English. There was no plan to go between MCs and Peformers, and a pretty rough audio feed. To be honest I felt embarrassed for all the performers that were there. I hope it was financially rewarding because from an exposure standpoint it was an afterthought from the presenter.

• Like 2

Yup. Although "Bugel" for "Bugle" is perhaps only a bit worse than "Isreal" for "Israel".

(Not to mention "Excelsiour" for "Excelsior", "Sunrsers" for "Sunrisers", and "Bushwacker's" for "Bushwackers".)

Given that it was the Israel parade, surprised they didn't call them a drum and bagel corps. :tounge2:

• Like 7