Fan Network 2015

I for one will be one of those not renewing...why? Because I don't have the time and availability to dedicate 3, 4, 5+ hours on a Saturday or a weekday to a webcast. The DVR options and the on demand option was perfect for me. Now that I can't do that, I don't see the logic of the value in me blowing a Benjamin on the all access when I can't get "all access".

• Like 6

I've been a fan network subscriber most seasons since it got started, but it's incredibly difficult to justify the cost when I know for sure I'll miss most of these streams... It's really time for the corps to embrace what most of the entertainment/performing arts orgs are realizing - that to build audience loyalty you have to deliver content and lots of it, most of the time for free and in a spontaneous way... I hope to get my fill on YouTube and Periscope, but the corps need to be ok putting that content out there and stop trying to be "secret" or hide it from the public... That tactic doesn't work, and it has been proven over and over that the more content you put out, the more interest is drummed up and people will actually show up or at least consume the content online... There are definite ways to make money off of this.

I agree 100%.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whyere you heard that from. There hasn't been any significant changes in copyright law within the last few years.

Just a lot of people drinking the kool-aid given to them from someone else who doesn't know what they're talking about.

It's pretty much par for the course regarding a slew of topics on DCP.

• Like 1

Just a lot of people drinking the kool-aid given to them from someone else who doesn't know what they're talking about.

It's pretty much par for the course regarding a slew of topics on DCP.

Actually I didn't hear anyone say there have been significant changes in copyright law itself, nor did I say I had.

If you are in a position to tell us what is and is not look-aid, though, then by all means enlighten us.

Actually I didn't hear anyone say there have been significant changes in copyright law itself, nor did I say I had.

If you are in a position to tell us what is and is not look-aid, though, then by all means enlighten us.

I don't think you have said anything; I've read from DCP posters that there has been a supposed change in the interpretation of copryright law and I've also read posts from people here swearing that there have been changes in copyright law. I don't want to single anyone out, but it's not too difficult to find.

No... it is just your opinion and speculation ( not " a fact " at all ) that lawyers could shut down DCI for good if they wanted to. The notion that DCI could not legally prevail with adequate legal respresentaion is not something I share ( nor others ) at all. And don't take my word for it. Take the word of a DCP poster who is actually an attorney by profession, and posted as such on this very thread above. ( jaspre2000, poster )

Are you an attorney by profession, 2 muchcoffeee ? We have had posters on here asking us if we are "an Attorney". So are you an attorney ? Just askin' mind you, as you do seem to speak with unambiguous legal authority on what the " facts " are on this issue. So... some of us would like to know... are you an Attorney by profession, 2muchcoffee ?

And just how would DCI pay the lawyers to defend themselves?

The lawyers wouldn't need to prevail. They only need to bleed dry the DCI coffers.

Looking at the "Live" schedule, I'm noticing two days where two shows are being broadcast at the same time. July 16 - Belton AND Denton, TX, and July 22 - Hattiesburg, MS and Little Rock, AR. Nice that they are offering those, but difficult to watch both shows at the same time since they aren't offering on-demand or DVR... I guess I could run two computers at once. Kind of tough to focus on the music though :)

This is all so frustrating - and a shame.

I think there's a difference between the law changing and some deep-pocketed company deciding that DCI's agreements to use their music don't actually allow DCI to offer non-live online video streaming. The latter seems to have happened, else DCI wouldn't be so rigid with the service offered this summer.

Yet, DCI still operates Fan Networks for other circuits, and left their own online with hundreds of on-demand streams until June 12th.

DCI also has a YouTube channel with hundreds of video streams available on demand. That has not been pulled down.

There must be another explanation.

We sure have 'sliced and diced' this situation, but the season is upon us. For me, it's been a simple analysis. No matter what is behind all this, causing so much disappointment, I still want to enjoy LIVE drum corps events without leaving my home this season. More importantly, my options to recieve this are 'kinda' limited, too!

I can't go across the street and purchase from that guy. I can't solve all of this on my own, nor before this very evening, so I made a choice. I decided to purchase the ONLY access available to me, knowing full well I will be charged a fee. Better still, some of the fee I pay filters down to the corps!

I'll be getting the access I wanted, and realize there will be some showings I won't be watching and other showings are likely to be disrupted, maybe even destroyed. I've experienced quite a bit of that even when I purchased tickets and went to the shows in person!

It's unfortunate this option doesn't work for so many of you. Next year should be better.

They probably could've made more money if they had also made each individual show available for purchase so that folks would not feel like they are wasting money by paying the $100.00 for the package and not being able to watch several shows at all because of personal schedules/preferences...