Indy "opening" contest

Cavies: Had heard so many positive things coming from the corps and that this was the product to launch them back into the mix. After seeing the show, I'm not sure where I stand. Part of me wants to really like it and think that it can be competitive with the big guns. The other part of me thinks its really flat and the "game on" idea doesn't read at all except through the uniform. I really hope that I'm wrong and that as things move along it does become a powerful show. Tons of fast energy but sadly, this show received the least response from our theater.

You had a response? I heard crickets in my theater in White Plains, NY... for EVERY corps...sad IMO...last year people looked at me funny when I clapped and yelled out loud...so I decided not to be an drumcorps theater outcast this year...lol

You had a response? I heard crickets in my theater in White Plains, NY... for EVERY corps...sad IMO...last year people looked at me funny when I clapped and yelled out loud...so I decided not to be an drumcorps theater outcast this year...lol

Just chalk it up to that Westchester County reticence. :shutup:

There is one member who does this and I promise you, he is of DCI legal age. I believe his name is Nick.

Where do you get this idea that there are "adults" who are "manipulating" live shows? This is a new argument, I guess. It never came up during Tilt. The Bluecoats have been quite open that they are working with different sound engineers in spring training and in doing so, these sound engineers have trained their members on how to recreate these sounds in a live environment. But don't take my word for it. Look here: https://twitter.com/Bluecoats/status/608276187765424128

This is no different than hiring brass, guard, or percussion techs. Actually, about ten years ago, it became the norm to also have dance/movement techs, as well. The Bluecoats have just added sound engineer techs. You know, educated adults who teach members how to do things professionally. Yeah, this is just a bit ahead of the DCI design curve, and I am fairly certain other corps will follow suit.

He is coming up with it...because staff DOES manipulate a sound board for most of the corps...it was voted in to allow that a few years ago...I don't have a problem with it per se...just pointing out his rational IMO...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

I was disappointed in our crowd in Austin, too. Last year people warmed up during the show and by Bluecoats were cheering every little effect. This year there wasn't even applause. C'mon guys - it's drum corps!

Mike

• Like 1

I really enjoy The Blue Stars show and I still think it has plenty of potential for a lot of shaping and growth throughout the season. They will be a finalist corps; but how high they finish all depends on that hornline; currently, they are the corps achilles heel. The drumline and guard are picking up where they left off last season, the visual is on its way; but the hornline sounds like it's fighting just to make the Top 12. Again, it was the first show and I'm sure the staff knows the strengths and weaknesses of the corps and the show. I'm very much looking foreword to seeing and hearing their progression. FCO! :thumbup:

I also really enjoyed the Bluecoats show. They came out to the field, threw down the gauntlet, and are proving themselves to be a serious and highly entertaining contender for the gold. Some have been comparing this show to "Tilt." Why? "Tilt" was something completely different and should remain as such. The only comparison I can make to it, all positive, is the design team has, once again, created a great show with minimal props and highly effective use of the field, sounds, music, and talents of the performers.

She has a more visual eye and I agree, Cadets visually have a monster show from an effect standpoint. The drill is nonstop, full field coverage, interesting g, thoughtful and although not clean, has the greatest potential and that's how she called it. Bluecoats have really cool musical sound effects and the visual was second best by a bunch IMO.

But there can be no denying that this " leading the activity " is leading the activity into a realm where sideline adult machine engineers are being scored by judges every bit, if not more so, than the actual youthful musical and dance performing competitors on the field. This, in my opinion, is extraordinarily new.. and unprecedented... in how we judge DCI show performers, show performance competition. I make no judgement assessment on whether or not this is good, nor bad, just pointing out how sideline adult machine manipulators, and THEIR sound machine engineering talents are increasingly showing up on build up scoring sheets in competition between the performing youth on the field of competition in these Corps.

You mean Nick? He's DCI age and yeah, he's a bad azz ;)

Edited by superOOk

Could not disagree more! Same ole same ole! Drill could have been cadets any year. And so spread out that it's hard to read at times. Too much space. I'll be surprised if BCs don't run all over them

Theater I attended had under a dozen folks.

Transmission was lost during Madison's second minute and did not resume until I found the manager who had to find the projectionist or whatever they call the button pusher today. Audio resumed at Madison's nine and half minute mark, visual only for the last minute.

When contest was over, there was no staff present to put lights on in the theater and we ambled out after five minutes enabled by one viewer having brought a flashlight in her purse.

A dino's less than glowing thoughts:

Locally, a cinema about 25 minutes away has been showing DCI events over the last few years. I was excited that a cinema only 5 minutes away was showing this one. There were 8 people total in our theatre. That will probably be the end of that.

We watched the pre show trivia questions, then at 8:29, our screen went dark. After waiting patiently, finally at 8:40 my wife got up and went to find someone for an answer. 5 minutes later the house lights went down and we joined the broadcast in the middle of Madison's show. Not sure the guard for Scouts has the strength in design and performance needed to sell this Gene Kelly thing. Was disappointed for some reason to realize that there was no need to have 20 Contra---er I mean Tubas to generate low end boom.

Enjoyed the unique arrangements of the Stars show music. They have a lot of possibilities to enhance the thematic effect visually, and through characters, if they explore some more of the freak show portions of the classic side show.

Crown's guard was really noticeably cleaner than everyone else. Scary clean for June.

I initially thought the Cavies show was titled Gay Mon when it was introduced. Relieved we weren't taken on a journey of alternative lifestyles in Jamaica. Thought the wrestler head gear on the guard was silly. Not a fan of the voice use in the ballad. I keep waiting for them to return to the time when they presented ground breaking visual programs. Guess I will still be waiting.

Cadets. Marched and played the best...well second best, of all the corps shown tonight. Not understanding how the random counting fits or enhances the show yet. Horns were pretty cool, but someone with me said they had more than 10 of them? Hope T E N is only a temporary final drill set, and goes away.

Gooooooooo-Hope the electronics live sound better than in our theatre. Kinda amazing how much noise is still generated when the brass puts their horns down in places. The hamster balls were cool, but seem somewhat limited in how they can be used. I really don't recall much more of anything other than peeps rolling around inside them?

2014 Champs---My oh my, what a drum corps and show. IMHO, the perfect use of electronics to enhance a tremendous brass sound and book. Guess the copyright laws for recorded performances shown on a live theatre broadcast are different than those that apply to previously recorded online content? Hehe

Can't wait to see some live shows in a couple weeks!

• Like 1