Innovations in Brass: Akron

I think that bloo and crown will close the gap on the cadets. The GE1 judge at lucas oil was the reason for the size of the gap between crown/bloo and Cadets. I was surprised, to say the least, that crown was 1.2 and bloo was 1.4 under cadets in that caption alone.

Edited by Cleveland1

I think that bloo and crown will close the gap on the cadets. The GE1 judge at lucas oil was the reason for the size of the gap between crown/bloo and Cadets. I was surprised, to say the least, that crown was 1.2 and bloo was 1.4 under cadets in that caption alone.

Why?

I'm interested to see how BAC fares against Cavies. While I know the BAC folks are always excited about the corps' chances, when you speak with those who know the corps and have watched them rehearse, talked with people involved, etc., they will still be enthusiastic but they are also frank about what the corps needs to do, and reports this year sound more like 2011 and 2012, so I'm hoping for a great show. I do believe Cavies will be formidable this year, and if they can clean their show and perhaps extract a few things, they have excellent potential.

I would expect Cadets to place first tonight. The show is pretty powerful and ahead of Crown and Bluecoats, though Bluecoats topping them tonight would not be a shocker. I liked both shows but I think Cadets have a show that does not have a huge amount of room to grow which makes plateauing a possibility and while Bloo is in good form, I find the show missing some of last year's magic, but three days into the season is still just the beginning.

I'm expecting Crown to be third. I think their show has great potential and will be a powerhouse as the season progresses, and I am sure we have not seen anything yet as far as this show is concerned, but while a prop malfunction caught our attention, those things happenI'm not sure I went from light to darkness and the depths of despair back to light on Wednesday . I may in Foxboro and know I will in Allentown, but not yet.

Cadets show has more demand then either of the other corps. That in and of itself, gives them plenty of room to grow. The ballad will be an ongoing experiment that can be layered all summer since it's mostly staging and guard work, and the closer which will be fast and furious will also take time to get on the field and clean. If anything. I'm not speculating on scores or placements, but I think this show will NOT plateau early. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

I will be at the show tonight and I am very excited to see this shows live to get the full effect, especially for the Bluecoats. Personally, I am hoping Bluecoats and Crown close the gap with the Cadets by a lot.

Why?

1. Because not all judges judge the same way. This judge clearly liked the cadets program and was from a visual background. Its possible that the judge tonight will rate them the same, but i feel that such a big gap is unlikely, i feel that they are closer.

2. I know that GE1 (formerly GEV) doesnt directly judge things like VP, VA, and VCG, but he judges the program from a visual lense. i find it VERY surprising that the cadets had such a huge gap in GE1 despite not getting first in any visual caption, or even subcaption. While i'm not saying that cadets should be below bloo or crown in GE1 because their visual score overall came in 3rd, i just don't think that large spread will happen again tonight. And that large gap was much of the gap between cadets and bloo/crown.

3. I'm not trying to seem like i'm promoting a conspiracy among judges. Or that some judges like certain corps over others, but its clear that some judges look for certain things and like certain things and other judges like other things. Things like GE are far more likely to vary depending on the judge since the criteria is less about accuracy and precision.

Edited by Cleveland1

For me, it's like baseball. I love Opening Day. The red white and blue bunting around the stadiums, the ceremonies, the excitement. I love it! After that, I'll watch the games and enjoy them, but I don't really pay attention to the standings too much. I'll check in on Memorial Day to see the lay of the land, but still wait until the All-Star Break to begin really digging in on who's leading the divisions, by how many games, who has a shot at the wild card(s), etc.

In drum corps, it's about that first regional when everyone goes head to head for the first time. All the speculation, all the noise surrounding that one caption win by a corps at that one show back in June, all the spreadsheets picking apart numbers from shows that didn't have full panels and comparing them to shows that did, west coast scores vs east coast/midwest scores, yada yada yada......it's all really just the set-up until July 18th in San Antonio (mayyybe July 11th between DATR and Minnesota as a nice little preview). That's when it all comes together as to which corps are legit as a contender for the title or at making finals, and who the wannabes are. That's how I look at these June and early July shows anyway. They're fun and you get to see the shows develop and grow and such, and yeah, you look at the scores, but for me anyway, I don't put much stock in them until everyone is under one roof in the same contest. That's where the fun really begins.

• Like 4

1. Because not all judges judge the same way. This judge clearly liked the cadets program and was from a visual background. Its possible that the judge tonight will rate them the same, but i feel that such a big gap is unlikely, i feel that they are closer.

2. I know that GE1 (formerly GEV) doesnt directly judge things like VP, VA, and VCG, but he judges the program from a visual lense. i find it VERY surprising that the cadets had such a huge gap in GE1 despite not getting first in any visual caption, or even subcaption. While i'm not saying that cadets should be below bloo or crown in GE1 because their visual score overall came in 3rd, i just don't think that large spread will happen again tonight. And that large gap was much of the gap between cadets and bloo/crown.

3. I'm not trying to seem like i'm promoting a conspiracy among judges. Or that some judges like certain corps over others, but its clear that some judges look for certain things and like certain things and other judges like other things. Things like GE are far more likely to vary depending on the judge since the criteria is less about accuracy and precision.

The GE1 judge in Indy whom you reference is extremely well experienced, has probably judged more nationals than most, is known for her insightful tapes, and is well respected by the staffs of most corps. She also judged the Clovis show last night, making her the first judge in the country to see the top 7 from last season. Her numbers for BD, Cadets, SCV, Bluecoats, and Crown, although from different shows and two days apart, may be interesting fodder for some conversations and reflections. No other judge is seeing everybody so soon.

####, cavaliers go to a lot of shows. Do they go to more than most other corps?

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread on the number of shows each Corps attends. We usually have one each season. It usually results in a lot of BD bashing, so it's probably for the best it hasn't appeared.

The GE1 judge in Indy whom you reference is extremely well experienced, has probably judged more nationals than most, is known for her insightful tapes, and is well respected by the staffs of most corps. She also judged the Clovis show last night, making her the first judge in the country to see the top 7 from last season. Her numbers for BD, Cadets, SCV, Bluecoats, and Crown, although from different shows and two days apart, may be interesting fodder for some conversations and reflections. No other judge is seeing everybody so soon.

Yes, would be interesting to see where she placed/scored the the corps from both shows. It is always good to have such an indication from the first judge to see many of the corps. Even though, as you pointed out, from different comps. I seriously doubt an experienced judge had wiped her mind clean from a comp just 2 days before.