2015 Rankings (by most recent score)

the latest scores and rankings are sent to me (daily during DCI season; weekly for DCA) by (sorry, forget who; been signed up for yrs), who also posts them in a Yahoo group. try search some form of "drumcorps" in Yahoo groups. would repost, but I deleted it sometime since Sunday

I NEVER make predictions, but I am going to go out on a limb...

I say 6 corps break 90 before Championships!

Dunno.

Looking quickly over the previous ten seasons, it appears that this is the first year since 2005 that no corps had scored 90 by the third-last regular-season weekend of the season (meaning Aug. 15-16 for this year). And in 2005, Buccaneers had scored 89 way back on July 30, two weekends earlier than they did this year. In 2005, just four corps would reach 90 before Championships, the others being Bushwackers, Statesmen, and Brigadiers.

In every other year 2006-2014, at least one, often two, and sometimes three corps had already scored 90 or better by three weeks out. In 2009, four corps had scored 90 by now, but the number would only rise to five before Championships. Only twice in the past ten years have six corps reached 90 before Championships (2007 and 2008).

So that's what recent precedent says. What does this year foretell?

Two corps, Bucs and Cabs, are all but a lock to score 90 tomorrow.

C2 is close enough that they comfortably should do so by next week.

MBI has earned a regular-season 90 in every year since 2007, but this is the first season in that time that they've not yet had an official DCA score already, so we have no clear gauge. Still, maybe they'll come out tonight a higher score than any other corps this year has seen. (If not, they may not get a chance tomorrow, based on the forecast for St. Peter.)

Fusion and Sabers would have to show a very fast rate of improvement since their last score to achieve 90 by Reading.

CV would need to do astoundingly well, with tomorrow being their last pre-championship appearance (and dodging raindrops as well, although with better chance of a dry Saturday show than in Minnesota).

Kidsgrove didn't reach 90 before DCA Finals in either 2010 or 2012, but who knows?

Finally, Sunrisers' most recent score of 80.35 on Aug. 2, five weeks from championships, is actually better than what Bushwackers had on Aug. 3 last year (79.50), which was only four weeks from championships (because Labor Day was earlier). And Bush went on to earn a 90.10 on Aug. 23, improving more than ten points in just three weeks (before dropping a little at Championships).

To sum up: there are all sort of possibilities either way. It should be very interesting to watch!

MBI has earned a regular-season 90 in every year since 2007, but this is the first season in that time that they've not yet had an official DCA score already, so we have no clear gauge. Still, maybe they'll come out tonight a higher score than any other corps this year has seen. (If not, they may not get a chance tomorrow, based on the forecast for St. Peter.)

And that's just what they did.

• Like 1

It really is a brilliant show. Not particularly adventurous musically, given MBI's recent years of putting together really interesting arrangements. But still very well done and well performed.

I will reiterate what I said in another thread: That guard is frighteningly good.

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 1

the latest scores and rankings are sent to me (daily during DCI season; weekly for DCA) by (sorry, forget who; been signed up for yrs), who also posts them in a Yahoo group. try search some form of "drumcorps" in Yahoo groups. would repost, but I deleted it sometime since Sunday

That would be the great Michael Del Corso

• Like 1

Hey, Pat!

I do believe there is nothing wrong with having a bias, a preferred outcome. My preference would be for the Buccaneers to win every show, and I'm proud to say that!

On the other hand, for those placed in position to judge, determine the fate of others, by wielding ultimate power, I demand impartiality, and accept nothing less. Violators of trust need to be rooted out and, at the very least, have their scheme made extremely difficult to accomplish. I think DCA is much closer to 'purity' than even a few years ago. But, maybe something more is needed . . . . . .

Despite the added expense, I propose, for Championship Finals Only, each caption is judged by 3 individuals, with the average of those 3 scores being the score that counts. I'm guessing this would cost an additional 2-3 thousand dollars. Not only do I believe a sponsor could be found to cover that cost, I would be willing to donate some of the funds to make this happen. Worth it, I think!

Thoughts anyone?

Fred,

I feel similar in that:

1. I would change Bucaneers to Caballeros in sentence 1;

2. Spot on 100%. We demand and expect nothing less.....

3. While sounding good on paper, the same tricks that judges in multi-judge panels use in skating, gymnastics, and diving would creep in...... a "low ball from the Russian judges" would drop someone's average and all we would do is hire expensive judges, only to throw out the high and/or low scores.

I wish it could work, but the current judging of finals is pretty close to as good as we can get.

Regards,

Joe Dz

PS: Watch out for that Hungarian percussion judge... she's partial to the accordion !!!

Joe,

My thinking is, there would be more comfort for everyone if DCA judging actually HAD a high score and a low score to throw out in each, or most captions. A poster recently found fault with the guard number assigned at Scranton. Not sure that kind of complaint would happen with 3 judges in some, or all captions, for just the biggest event of the year. Yes, there still wouldn't be total purity in evaluation, and it would be more expensive, but it would get us even closer. Overall, I'm OK with what we have now.

Looking forward to reading about tonight's Clifton. Should be interesting. I assume you are now there. I spent the day with friends at Pocono Raceway and the Indy cars. Had it been available, I would have bought a broadcast of tonight's big drum corps show!

Edited by Fred Windish