Hamilton Happenings - June 22

Well I look at it the other way. They are outperforming a show which is lacking in the content box at this point. I DO agree that they seem to get the performance levels up pretty quickly (week 2 of the season) so that's promising. They'll be able to absorb the needed changes quickly.

there's no way to tell unless you see upside down numbers. clearly you don't.

so you basically need to hear what judges are saying: is it "the show is too thin on content" or "you need to fix this transition and look at the pacing here and could we add a bigger CG moment there and you need to explain your intent here in the closer"

i won't speculate on which option might be accurate :ninja:

I haven't seen them yet this year, but I think it's worth pointing out that BAC started slowly both of the last two years and were just fine by season's end. I wouldn't be too worried about them.

I will admit when I woke up this morning and checked last night's scores, seeing Troopers beat BAC last evening concerned me, as did Crossmen topping them the previous night. Ii's no disrespect toward either corps. I can recall seeing Troopers practice and warm up prior to the CYO Nationals in 1976. I was 13 at the time and it made a huge impression on me to see them up close and personal. I can recall watching Crossmen at semi's in 2012 and knowing that show would be en enough to make finals. I just expected BAC would hit the ground running a bit more. However, they are also preparing for the Foxboro anniversary show as well as July 4th with the Boston Pops on the Esplanade, so there is quite a bit on their plates.

I'm sure they're running in circles with their hair on fire.

Seriously -- given a few of the names they've had on the GE captions, I think maybe they're getting the feedback they need to hear right now.

Yes there are things they need to "fix". But they have plenty of time to fix them :-)

Taking a quick peek at their schedule....

They're in Muncie for 5 days straight, then Allentown for 3 days, then RI for 3 day. Just maybe they could squeeze in a few adjustments.

Personally I think they've got to feel AWESOME that they're marching, spinning, and playing better than the corps who are "beating" them. Let's just wait and see what happens before we "write off" Crown fo the season :-\

Hey - they are performing well - which is terrific. They are a terrific corps

However - as I said originally before my words were misconstrued - it has got to be "concerning" to the staff that the content and repertoire scores are lower than the corps in front of them. Which means changes must be decided, designed, taught and then perfected. The corps in front of them must only perfect. Both corps in front of them also will add the endings to their shows, likely further raising the content scores.

So it is concerning. No one is saying light ones hair on fire, or "write off" the season

The show (as it stands) seems like a fifth placed program. The corps is clearly capable of doing more - so give them more. Lop that big opening drum solo in half, drop another drum feature in the middle of the show with some fast tempo/drill and add the real ending. The current drill during the extended drum opening is awesome but, frankly. pretty ineffective. They are working hard back field to create upside rotating prisms and crowns.. Has zero to do with the program and the crowd is pretty unaware.

The show needs highs and lows - it is flat. The guard is incredible, but it is repetitive. The drill is mostly forgettable. They need quiet moments and fast moments. The body work by the brass is impressive but at the same time - a little out of place.

Their staff is incredible, I'm sure they find the content/rep feedback concerning so I'm sure changes will come. And a "huge banner" at the end and making yet another Crown for the last note - isn't going to get it done IMO

And I'm writing this as a massive Crown fan rooting for them!

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

Hey - they are performing well - which is terrific. They are a terrific corps

However - as I said originally before my words were misconstrued - it has got to be "concerning" to the staff that the content and repertoire scores are lower than the corps in front of them. Which means changes must be decided, designed, taught and then perfected. The corps in front of them must only perfect. Both corps in front of them also will add the endings to their shows, likely further raising the content scores.

So it is concerning. No one is saying light ones hair on fire, or "write off" the season

The show (as it stands) seems like a fifth placed program. The corps is clearly capable of doing more - so give them more. Lop that big opening drum solo in half, drop another drum feature in the middle of the show with some fast tempo/drill and add the real ending. The current drill during the extended drum opening is awesome but, frankly. pretty ineffective. They are working hard back field to create upside rotating prisms and crowns.. Has zero to do with the program and the crowd is pretty unaware.

The show needs highs and lows - it is flat. The guard is incredible, but it is repetitive. The drill is mostly forgettable. They need quiet moments and fast moments. The body work by the brass is impressive but at the same time - a little out of place.

Their staff is incredible, I'm sure they find the content/rep feedback concerning so I'm sure changes will come. And a "huge banner" at the end and making yet another Crown for the last note - isn't going to get it done IMO

And I'm writing this as a massive Crown fan rooting for them!

Agreed but my biggest pet peeve is the entire show is played triple forte. They need some nuances to add effect.
  • Like 1

However, they are also preparing for the Foxboro anniversary show as well as July 4th with the Boston Pops on the Esplanade, so there is quite a bit on their plates.

The anniversary show is just another contest. As for the Esplanade, it shouldn't take too long to get the staging down, and one must figure they have worked on any music for some time now. They did begin Spring Training a week earlier and the improved staff/mm should get the additional work done pretty quick. The genesis of the corps used to be "We don't Gava" and we don't make excuses. All corps know what has to be done and the BAC will be busting butt with the best of them to begin their climb shortly.

(Added note before someone reams me a new one. My reply above is about perceived excuses. I do not feel there are many valid excuses in life. Tim could have been referring to any group/organization/person. The major crash of multiple vehicles in fog is an incident that could have been diminished if the speeds were lower and distances between vehicles increased. The majority of any corps season scheduled is known in advance. If there's a possibility that an additional event may happen, prepare just in case.)

Edited by Ghost