Fake Plastic GE

I suppose, for some people, corps members slowly rotating lines and forming blocks for their park and bark is the epitome of drum corps.

But for others, clever, exciting, innovative and...dare I say it?...groundbreaking moves (while playing very well) is more entertaining.

I guess it all depends on where your head is at.

• Like 2

am I coming in clear?

20 out of 30 corps rolling on the ground is innovative and just happens to enhance and add to their 20 different show themes?

So then, the creativity must be in the 20 different justifications for rolling on the ground, taken as a whole, so they all get some of the points

But that's not factually accurate. And the exclamatory sentence, while humorous, is also un true.

Case in point being the introduction of running sequences in the last few years. There is almost zero execution involved in those, but they most definitely add General Effect.

We will have to agree to disagree. You see GE - I see people running around like a scatter-band.

• Like 2

am I coming in clear?

20 out of 30 corps rolling on the ground is innovative and just happens to enhance and add to their 20 different show themes?

So then, the creativity must be in the 20 different justifications for rolling on the ground, taken as a whole, so they all get some of the points

I think a lot of the corps (not all) just look the same and give the perception of staleness...

• Like 3

This is being pointed out like it is something new. One group figures out how to do something New and different then for the next 3-4 years everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Vanguard does asymmetrical drill and within 2 years everyone else is doing it. The Cowtowns of 35 years ago were grumbling about all of the gobblety hook drill that wasn't "real" drumcorps.

If you don't like the direction of the activity, just wait a few years and it will change. I went to the Evansville show on Wednesday and had a blast. I didn't love what Colts were doing and I had serious questions about Crossmen's props. But then Cadets came out and performed a show that I don't think any corps...10, 20, or 30 years ago could have dreamed of attempting.

I'm happy with what corps are doing today...just like I was happy with what they were doing 30 years ago.

Z

• Like 4

This is being pointed out like it is something new. One group figures out how to do something New and different then for the next 3-4 years everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Vanguard does asymmetrical drill and within 2 years everyone else is doing it. The Cowtowns of 35 years ago were grumbling about all of the gobblety hook drill that wasn't "real" drumcorps.

If you don't like the direction of the activity, just wait a few years and it will change. I went to the Evansville show on Wednesday and had a blast. I didn't love what Colts were doing and I had serious questions about Crossmen's props. But then Cadets came out and performed a show that I don't think any corps...10, 20, or 30 years ago could have dreamed of attempting.

I'm happy with what corps are doing today...just like I was happy with what they were doing 30 years ago.

Z

True - I remember when corps went to the backfield entry, & were allowed to finish their performance while still on the field. Old guys felt it was a sign of the apocalypse. I wonder what they would have thought if someone back then added rolling around on ground ( it would have had to be done in unison) to the mix?

For starters, discussion like this is needed. I welcome that initial post. I do think there is a lot of truth to it.

Some of the changes we are seeing are well done, and in some cases, really cool. I do like some of the staging and electronic additions - when done right. I believe the activity was in need of some changes. I believe that some things will stick, some will fade away. How it should be scored is beyond me. I have my opinions but I doubt DCI cares.

My personal dislikes in today's shows stem from the following:

1. Too much electronic bass at the wrong times

2. Unnecessary body movement (and yes, this includes rolling on the ground), or just plain BAD body movement that nobody can translate from the stands = dumb

3. Poorly constructed narration or too much narration

4. Singing can sometimes work (I like Troopers' and Boston's use this year), but often it just cheeses up the show

5. Too much scatter drill, usually filled with lots of body movement that ultimately leads to no emotional pull or highlighted effect on the show, mostly just chaos

6. An overabundance of mallets in the pit (since when were so many marimbas, vibes, and xylos needed for field music?)

Having said that, there are many more things I find that I enjoy in today's shows. I am not in favor of going back to the 80s or 70s, but I do believe that effective drill writing is becoming a lost art because we have more toys, and also because staging has become a big deal. We (the activity) need to strike a balance. I see this as a period of experimentation for DCI and its' member corps. In the end I believe a lot will be learned.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 8

Cowtown was there 35 years ago, we called them copy-cats but now they are re-branded as innovative !!!

Perhaps I should roll around on the floor and bask in the all the praise heaped on me by the DCP judges as the rest of humanity scurries away from my art while going ewe, why doesn't he just walk?

• Like 1

Or maybe the exploration of thought and imagination matters more to those people than performance quality.

Sort of like many fans. I'd say from the easily noticeable mass exodus of fans from many of the local shows before the scores are announced... and in increasing frequency with reach passing year in my observations... speaks volumes that even the majority of national show goers are primarily looking to be mostly entertained, than to hang around to find out which Corps the half panel ( or full panel ) judges that nite thought offered up better " performance quality " among their pecking order Corps peers.

Edited by BRASSO