Criticizing the "Kids"

Does posting " some girl with a voice that is marginal at best" about one of the singers this year qualify?

Ok...other than that .....jk

When I saw the title of this thread.. " criticizing the kids ", I thought it was a discussion about the 60-70 year old DCP'ers on here verbally taking to the woodshed the DCP'er " kids " on here that are between 45 and 55 years old.

Oh well, 'guess not.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm just glad I marched in a period right before socal media took hold of people's opinions and thought processes. One of the best things about being in DCI was how it secluded you from society. We lived in a total bubble, and if there was any criticism about the corps we never knew about it.

• Like 3

Interesting subject. Having lived through the tumultuous years with BD 08-12 it was obvious that many critics felt a strong compulsion to rant on about how much they hated the direction of the corps and how it would "ruin" the activity. This was obviously agenda-filled and many railed on about the how they booed. not at the kids but at the show design.....not something that is easily parsed out on the field when you're looking up at the crowd having just rung yourself out to perform for them. Yes, it's a competition and when you are a homer for one corps or another and are filled with emotion and want them to score better you may find it necessary to burst out with some comment showing your displeasure when one of these new ideas in design beats them. But the kind of nonsense that SOI in the late 80's - early 90's, Cadets 07-09 and BD 08-12 witnessed was off the charts. In the end, there was no paradigm shift that ruined drum corps.... just a shift in performance possibilities and a knowledge (from the designers) that complexity of performance comes in different forms and it is up to the judges and eventually the audience to recognize it. In BD's case, the judges caught on pretty quickly and saw the things they were doing were difficult to execute, smartly designed and very complex... and the numbers reflected that difficulty.

It always amazed me how when one corps "explores" new performance techniques and designs, how traditionalists (Dinos) immediately attack it and demand that the offending corps "fix itself" and get in line with what they think is appropriate drill and music. Just baffling to me. 7 corps could have performed before them in traditional design and one corps does something different and it's an obimination. I'm also not so naive to recognize that it's not so much the design that turns the screws of the traditionalists, it's the winning scores in the face of other traditional options. I feel that a show that demonstrates other dimensions of the art form is necessary to keep the activity fresh and new and inspiring to the new kids that are entering it, and we should celebrate the difference and applaud the effort.

As far as the OP's thoughts, yeah, they'll all grown ups and criticisim is part of our human experience, why should drum corps be different? True.... but when you're standing on that field after 12 minutes of doing it perfect...and for one simple reward....appreciation... that logic is lost.

obimination?

. One of the best things about being in DCI was how it secluded you from society. .

DCI's cutoff from society even extends into the winter and with its small numbers of remaining fans too.

DCI has cut off its past via FN.... making DCI even more secluded from its former fanbase.

At this rate, if DCI is not careful, it will soon be totally cut off, isolated and secluded from the rest of society.

Edited by BRASSO

I recall some poster showing up on DCP to take revenge on behalf of their kid that was crushed due to a second place finish. Certainly the exception but an example of a parent overzealously trying to protect their kid and, imo, sending the wrong message

I just don’t get the notion that you can ship your kid off for 3 months yet the same kid can’t handle criticize, if that were the case, I wouldn’t think my kid was fit for tour. In essence, I’m under the impression that criticizing the kids is more an issue of their parents and perhaps some educators; either by enforcement or the lessons taught.

Kids are often worse towards each other anyway

I recall some poster showing up on DCP to take revenge on behalf of their kid that was crushed due to a second place finish. Certainly the exception but an example of a parent overzealously trying to protect their kid and, imo, sending the wrong message

I just dont get the notion that you can ship your kid off for 3 months yet the same kid cant handle criticize, if that were the case, I wouldnt think my kid was fit for tour. In essence, Im under the impression that criticizing the kids is more an issue of their parents and perhaps some educators; either by enforcement or the lessons taught.

Your last sentence is not necessarily true. My generation is a very PC generation. We're very conscious of others (or try to be) and we often avoid criticizing others in order to avoid conflict. Yeah you'll get the drama in middle school and high school, but as for college kids (which is what most drum corps kids are), drama isn't very rampant.

• Like 1

I just don’t get the notion that you can ship your kid off for 3 months yet the same kid can’t handle criticize, if that were the case, I wouldn’t think my kid was fit for tour. In essence, I’m under the impression that criticizing the kids is more an issue of their parents and perhaps some educators; either by enforcement or the lessons taught.

It's not an issue of not being able to handle it..they do every day. it's where it comes from and how delivered that becomes an issue. Some have nothing to do with a like or dislike just a rant against what someone else believes or the direction of the activity and how it relates to a given corps ( gone are the days of the actual spectator ). Not all who criticize do it with good intention or much to back it either other than I dont like it. Sometimes we value our own opinions more than we should .

Of course , and I'm not talking just this activity, the experts are always on line. Are there many who could actually do and not just talk, sure but those usually aren't the ones most vocal and if they are they usually do it pretty gracefully and tactfully. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1