Suicidal Judges

I recall a rained out MBA (precursor to BOA) show when my sister was in band. They had a standstill show that would be judged for music with all other scoring components taking the prelim scores from the morning/afternoon.

They did an original number that repeated a phrase softer and softer until, blam...ffff blast of the phrase before transitioning.

A judge had put his head almost all the way into the bell if one of the Mellos to see if they were still playing in the soft phrases. The big hit was louder than ever and done with particular fervor by the Mellos. Judge staggered back a bit dizzy.

• Like 3

As a Cadets Snare "Dad" in 2014, I noticed how frequently some of the field judges were not able or willing to adequately track the battery....makes it hard to give credit to the top box if you miss it. 2015 staging is making it much easier for the field guys.

I wonder if the drill writers take judges into account when they write drill for the battery....

over the years, I have heard PERCUSSION INSTRUCTORS specifically ask VISUAL DESIGNERS to close doors and windows through which a PERCUSSION JUDGE might come to visit the battery.

Some times it is amazing where spinning weapons and flags get positioned, he, he.

• Like 2

If you look at the finals video of Crown's 2013 drum break you'll see the judge almost get run over by the guard. But in some cases they can be helpful, look at last years situation when the drum judge picked up the snare and ran all the way to the back to give it to the Crown member.

• Like 2

I wonder if the drill writers take judges into account when they write drill for the battery....

Not sure about that, but I question (on the other hand) how a percussion judge in the booth can really hear how sanitary the execution is, especially in an environment like Lucas Oil...I know we could not really decipher with clarity on any of the 3 nights last year from different seats each night.

As a Cadets Snare "Dad" in 2014, I noticed how frequently some of the field judges were not able or willing to adequately track the battery....makes it hard to give credit to the top box if you miss it. 2015 staging is making it much easier for the field guys.

Agreed.

Great thread. Very entertaining stories. It does sometimes look, from the audience's standpoint, that the judges are performing their own sort of 'choreography'. There has been many a newbie I've sat next to who asked something like, "Who are those guys jumping around the field in the khakis and polos? Are they supposed to be there?" - followed by something like, "They're really annoying."

Edited by luv4corps

All I can think of are the Drum judges from 1991 Star and 2008 Cadets. How they survived those closers I will never know LMAO. I remember seeing a Youtube video of 2010 BD. Towards the middle of the show you hear a BD Guard member yell LOOKOUT to the drum judge lol.

But having judges on the field could be a good thing as well. Was it 2002 Magic of Orlando when the Tenor player took a big spill and the drum judge helped him out towards the end of the opener? And the judge who chased down the Crown snare line and gave the kid back his drum after he lost it. Awesome moments. Without those judges who knows what would have happened.

• Like 1

Not sure about that, but I question (on the other hand) how a percussion judge in the booth can really hear how sanitary the execution is, especially in an environment like Lucas Oil...I know we could not really decipher with clarity on any of the 3 nights last year from different seats each night.

That's a good point. I know there are many drum parts I would love to hear but can't hear it because of the sound in the stadium.

Watching the Cavaliers battery in 2001 would lead me to believe no.