Denton, TEXAS

The problem with BD (imo) is that their trumpets stick out wayyy too much. I've never heard them live though. I just love how Bluecoats have the low brass power to match their high brass.

The balance you're describing is the basic pyramid system, bottom up approach. It's fairly rudimentary and we teach it to middle school and high school bands. In college we move further along with varied balances that change with the lead line, balances that shift due to instrumentation, style, orchestration, and phrase shaping. What BD's line does is THE most professional sounding balance on the field for the Jazz style. They don't use a one size fits all approach. Their balances are much more like the professional big bands, like Basie or Ellington, or at other times like Kenton or Ferguson.

Playing your whole show with a bottom up approach can be sterile and lacks the finesse and musical awareness that kids should be learning.

• Like 6

1. Cadets

2. Hopefully crown

3. Bluecoats

4. SCV

5. academy

6. Troopers

7. Colts

8. SOA

9. Oregon

10. Jersey

11. Cascades

Move everybody from 5th down. Forgot cavies

I'd guess

Cadets

Bluecoats

SCV

Crown

Cavaliers

etc

just a little tweak from yours...

• Like 1

I hope for the sake of everyone that the closer Bluecoats put out tonight is Closer 1.5 and not Closer 2.0... Very underwhelmed. I found the older closer to actually be more effective.

I was thinking the same thing.

I've been watching tonight's shows on a poor connection, and combined with the high camera (particularly in Denton) all I can see are blurry figures. Making lemonade out of this lemon, I've been focusing just on the drill, and it's interesting how that has changed my feelings about some of these shows. SCV has risen in my estimation: their marching is so tight, and their formations are impossibly intricate. Bluecoats, whose show I have absolutely loved when I've seen it live and relatively close to the field, felt a bit less coherent from far above. Has anyone else had the experience of having one favorite show for seeing close up, and another when relegated to the nosebleed seats?

• Like 1

I've been watching tonight's shows on a poor connection, and combined with the high camera (particularly in Denton) all I can see are blurry figures. Making lemonade out of this lemon, I've been focusing just on the drill, and it's interesting how that has changed my feelings about some of these shows. SCV has risen in my estimation: their marching is so tight, and their formations are impossibly intricate. Bluecoats, whose show I have absolutely loved when I've seen it live and relatively close to the field, felt a bit less coherent from far above. Has anyone else had the experience of having one favorite show for seeing close up, and another when relegated to the nosebleed seats?

My feed is actually pretty good.

• Like 1

Very interesting. I'm ignorant about brass subtleties, but that's the first thing I said on hearing BD brass this year: they sound like a group of pros.

The balance you're describing is the basic pyramid system, bottom up approach. It's fairly rudimentary and we teach it to middle school and high school bands. In college we move further along with varied balances that change with the lead line, balances that shift due to instrumentation, style, orchestration, and phrase shaping. What BD's line does is THE most professional sounding balance on the field for the Jazz style. They don't use a one size fits all approach. Their balances are much more like the professional big bands, like Basie or Ellington, or at other times like Kenton or Ferguson.

Playing your whole show with a bottom up approach can be sterile and lacks the finesse and musical awareness that kids should be learning.

• Like 1

The Cavs' trombone features has yet to sound loud enough to me, either on video or when I saw them live.

did someone say "bottoms up"?? :guinesssmilie:

• Like 2