ALLENTOWN - Day 2

What I think is causing spacing errors to be more apparent is the lack of a horizontal element. With the old uniforms, each person was divided into three prominent bands of color: maroon, gold, cream. When in a drill formation, the bands visually link side-to-side, connecting everything. So even with the light pants, spacing variances don't jump out quite as much. With the solid black, and no horizontal anywhere, you read each person as a vertical black peg, and it is immediately noticeable if each peg is not the exact same distance apart. Interesting.

With the Angel/Demon uniforms, they all had the gold horizontal cummerbund as a unifying element, so the side-to-side connection was present there.

This is a great analysis. To piggy back on this, the contrast in colors certainly added some nuance with regards to 180 degree movement. For instance, the sash is prominent on the top portion of the uniform. As they turn back field to front and vice versa, there is a visual pop from 90 degrees (where you don't see the sash) to 180 degrees either back facing or front facing (sash fully visible). Just a VERY minor thing but enough to maybe mean something... perhaps... no.......yea....nay....ok maybe not.

Edited by AROD24601

Hop has probably already read your post. He is well aware of the mixed feelings

Let's face it - the light pants made Cadets VERY unique among the top corps. If they would have designed this uniform for just the corps this season perhaps they would have done one leg white - or a strip etc

But the way they were designed works ok for this show and will be wonderful for the (quickly improving) Cadets2 - which is huge for their program

I was thinking the same thing. A good hand me down for Cadets 2. How about tomorrow?

• Like 2

they aren't going to win or lose based on the uniforms - that's correct

(respectful snip)

That then begs the question; if the uniforms (and related to the visual effectiveness of the color scheme, General Effect) don't matter, then why change to the black?

This is world championship caliber competition at the highest level where even a tenth of a point (or less!) can win or lose you a championship; everything matters.

• Like 1

The only winner this year is the fans. Has it ever been such a close spread going into finals week? (.225)

97 - BD opened gap at finals, buy one week before BD, Cadets, SCV all

1 apart.

That then begs the question; if the uniforms (and related to the visual effectiveness of the color scheme, General Effect) don't matter, then why change to the black?

This is world championship caliber competition at the highest level where even a tenth of a point (or less!) can win or lose you a championship; everything matters.

Hop (and the Cadets) have a reputation of doing what they want to do.

And like George (or someone earlier) stated that the main goal for the Cadets is to better yourself and push yourself to new heights so you succeed.

edit: Found it

"the black look is fine - and frankly Cadets aren't as much about "winning" as you must think - they are about achieving one's personal best - so they will get up tomorrow and clean clean clean

the chips will fall where they may"

Edited by Sandonovan

I must be the only one that likes the Cadets' black uniform. I think it conveys power so well. The final 90 seconds in black are awesome. I think also that they took LOS into consideration when planning the uniform. Trust me, they will be fine next Saturday.

Edited by Elmo Blatch
  • Like 4

I must be the only one that likes the Cadets' black uniform. I think it conveys power so well. The final 90 seconds in black are awesome.

I agree.

I gotta admit, as much I respect their members and staff and amazing product placed on that field each night, their fans and Homers are absolute trash. Sorry, not sorry.

I usually find myself agreeing with most of your posts, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with this one...we'll sort of. Yes, there are a few Crown homers that go overboard and post some cringeworthy things. I used to be one of them a few years, I'll be the first to admit....but I do still feel as though Crown fans take more grief than they probably should. I've seen/heard far more crying and complaining from another top corps' (that I won't name the because I don't want to seem like I'm trying to bring them down) fans than I've ever seen from Crown's. I know me saying this just makes me sound like even more of a homer, but I just thought it should be said.

FWIW, I can't really call myself a Crown homer since I've always been a huge Cadets fan. They're the corps that got me interested in the activity, Crown just happened to be closer so I get to see them more often. Not relevant, I know. Ok, I'm done rambling.

• Like 1

I usually find myself agreeing with most of your posts, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with this one...we'll sort of. Yes, there are a few Crown homers that go overboard and post some cringeworthy things. I used to be one of them a few years, I'll be the first to admit....but I do still feel as though Crown fans take more grief than they probably should. I've seen/heard far more crying and complaining from another top corps' (that I won't name the because I don't want to seem like I'm trying to bring them down) fans than I've ever seen from Crown's. I know me saying this just makes me sound like even more of a homer, but I just thought it should be said.

FWIW, I can't really call myself a Crown homer since I've always been a huge Cadets fan. They're the corps that got me interested in the activity, Crown just happened to be closer so I get to see them more often. Not relevant, I know. Ok, I'm done rambling.

Agreed. Every corps has those bad homers who make it rough for everyone else, then cause people to proclaim that those people are making them hate said corps. In my opinion, if you are willing to let the opinions of someone on the internet affect the way you feel about a drum corps, then you've already had those feelings.

• Like 2