ALLENTOWN - Day 2

Wow - what a statement.

How you do you know they "squandered" championship talent all these years. As if they Cadets "deserve" or have a "right" to the championship and only the inept and bumbling staff keep it from happening.

Here's the reality - Cadets historically have worked with LESS and achieved MORE than the typical top corps. Less money, less talent and fewer resources.

It's only around the mid 2000s that Cadets organization itself caught up somewhat to the resources of, say, a BD type or SCV type or Star type organization.

Now - do they have their misfires in design? Sure. All organizations do.

They take risks.

So if you're a fan - get used to the risk taking and realize, with RISK comes reward OR the possibility that it doesn't work out

2007 SHOULD have won - many of us feel that way. The kids performance at semi-finals was one for the ages. It was NOT a "failure"

The 12.25 program was wonderful - many of us still enjoy listening to the program. It was NOT a "failure"

If Cadets of 2015 win - fantastic. If they get 2nd, 3rd or even 4th - it was NOT a "failure"

As a fan I'm much more concerned that the kids had a great summer (they are) and were challenged (they have been) than the final placement

JMO.

So frankly - you're the one who seems to make it "all about winning"

THIS.

Don't get too competitive, folks. The Cadets and other corps have taken risks over the years. Some fail, some work, but in the end the kids still perform really well. I don't care what corps you are (BD included), you can't think of DCI as win or bust. I don't care for the black uni, but this Cadets show is still a solid straight-up in your face drum corps show. It's the most demanding thing on the field today, and it oozes great music and drill. Kind of hard to beat that if you're a fan of the activity. It will be a success regardless of placement. Just enjoy.

Edited by jwillis35

At every contest and prominent on every streaming video, DCI applauds parents, and band educators. Then they urge us to go to a website and support the arts as a part of a sound educational program in the schools.

In so many schools, cuts are being made in music, arts, and even physical education.

Then a group comes along outside of public education like FREE Players ( Family Residences and Essential Enterprises, Inc. (FREE) Theater Day Habilitation Program.) These remarkable people assist special education individuals to participate the activity that we all love.

The audience response to FREE Players was magnificent and the entire experience says that music and the arts have a place in the education of EVERY child, whether gifted, or special. It is my belief that we are all gifted in some way and we are all special in another..... music and art will help us further develop strengths, and overcome obstacles.

Support music.....support art........ IN public schools.

Joe

• Like 3

To me, the most significant thing from last night is CC's percussion score. In a race where captions WILL decide the title, now that GE is a toss up, their rebound in percussion is critcal...what a horse race...this is the year they should have done "triple crown". 😁

Yes, the constant talking does interfere with the show. In fact, it ruins it.

wigwam, if the Colts show is ruined for you because of the talking I suggest you either get up and make a sandwich when the Colts perform or if you're actually at the performance (which I doubt) go get a hot dog. The "GE" is good, scores prove it! Most critiques given by attendees have been positive. See jwillis35's Reflections of the show last night! The show since San Antonio has changed and I believe, as many, it is a good show. If it's ruined for you, don't watch it, wigwam, it's as easy as that, no need to get your knickers in a knot.

wigwam, if the Colts show is ruined for you because of the talking I suggest you either get up and make a sandwich when the Colts perform or if you're actually at the performance (which I doubt) go get a hot dog. The "GE" is good, scores prove it! Most critiques given by attendees have been positive. See jwillis35's Reflections of the show last night! The show since San Antonio has changed and I believe, as many, it is a good show. If it's ruined for you, don't watch it, wigwam, it's as easy as that, no need to get your knickers in a knot.

This is a public forum and they are absolutely allowed to voice their opinion. I would hardly call criticizing their show design getting in a knot. I would also think they have the sense to know if they don't enjoy something to go elsewhere. I know I made a trip or two to the concession stand when I went to Prelims before.

• Like 2

Sorry, Plan 9, Crown's percussion score is an anomaly that does not yet represent consistency of performance or instruction. It should not surprise anyone on the forum if their percussion score stays the same from Allentown through finals.

Of course it was about winning. The rub: the Cadets design staff, more than any other top 5 staff, has squandered championship-caliber talent with ineptitude, incoherence, bad taste, and cheese in design. "This I Believe" was a fail from the start. 12.25 made me actually groan when I read the show concept announcement, and I knew it would fail that very second. I could go on...

With all the talent and intelligence among alumni and fans of what the traditional Cadets were known as - "the thinking man's drum corps" - you'd think they'd have no problem coming up with show concepts and designs that are aesthetically unified and authentic to the music and that have meaning and import and innovation.

But if all else fails, you can always go for fire trucks, or banners, or whatever other gimmick you can pull out of your azz at the last minute to grovel for GE.

I'm tired of the marketing-as-design crap.

I just want good show design that doesn't hobble the brilliance and commitment of the MMs, who, even back in the 70s, were known to be the "hardest working drum corps in the country".

Is that too much to ask?

I loved and still love 12.25. Was it too trite for you? Are you too sophisticated to enjoy the show? Sorry they let you down. Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

I thought the excessive narration was a one year thing last year. Unfortunately they went all in again this year. Too bad.

I loved and still love 12.25. Was it too trite for you? Are you too sophisticated to enjoy the show? Sorry they let you down.

I enjoyed 12.25 too, thought I certainly can understand why some folks didn't. There's one thing about Cadets that rings true even after 35 or so years of watching them...not everyone loves every show (and that's ok). There are more than a few I didn't care for, but I'm always one to wonder what they'll do next.

I thought the excessive narration was a one year thing last year. Unfortunately they went all in again this year. Too bad.

I loved Colts' show last night, and the voice acting and singing was absolutely one of the highlights. It was campy and fun, something incredibly hard to pull off in drum corps. The Allentown crowd loved them, and Colts had the crowd eating out of their hand for eleven minutes.

My wife even commented, "The Empire Statesmen are alive and well. They didn't fold, they just moved to Dubuque."

• Like 3