Cadets, Back to Maroon and gold please?

I think this amazing show which still is amazing would be even more amazing with those cream pants highlighting that wonderful marching technique and stellar Cadets drill. Bring them back for INDY. We all respect you for taking risks but we'll love you more for going back!

It's not "taking a risk" or anything admirable, really.

It's yet another marketing gimmick, like tarps or fire trucks at finals.

It doesn't make design sense for the corps that marches and plays simultaneously better than anyone (if that's a thing that top corps do these days) and has for 30+ years.

Would Ohio State change their marching band uniforms for more "impact" at the Michigan game? Or the football uniforms?

Fact is: the entire show concept for "10" was stupid and silly and incoherent from the get-go. And this uniform thing - even if meant for Cadets2 - is just another product of the confusion and incoherence.

Cadets need a new approach to design if they're not going to squander top-notch talent with cheesy, incoherent, or downright dumb show concepts and designs. And that means they might need new leadership. SO many talented alumni and fans out there with great ideas, and instead, we get dumbness shoved down the MMs throats (like 12.25, etc.) from the top down.

Top down dictatorial decisions just don't work these days and for this generation. Is that entitlement? Maybe, but that's what this young generation wants: part ownership of their ideas.

How cool would it be if the Cadets solicit show ideas from alumni, fans, and MMs, and make the concept selection transparent enough to be democratic, and that way, it would be the community's show, rather than some guy's show?

And in conclusion: the black uniforms are unbefitting of the Cadets tradition, shelved the best uniform in all of DCI, and are a fail, just like the entire concept of "10".

• Like 1

I just got off tour with The Cadets on Sunday - the uniform change was planned in January. When they did the first run in the new uniform jackets / drop sash / shako in Annapolis I made a comment to George that they looked good, but were a bit of a shock - he said he was over the new look since the prototype jacket had been hanging in his office since April. No Jeff Sacktig was NOT surprised by this change, it had been planned well before spring training. What you don't hear about, and kudos to the sewing crew is that EVERY uniform (guard and corps) had to be altered to have The Cadet fit. They were made to the measurements from spring training, and all the kids have lost weight. The new unis showed up on Tuesday in Annapolis, and were altered and on the field on Thursday - the 7 women in the sewing crew didn't sleep for two days to get it done - amazing.

Doesn't matter when they planned it. Stupid is stupid no matter when stupid is stupid.

They made the decision for "10" last fall, and it was just as incoherent then as it is now.

Does it really matter now what we all think? The little people in green have made their decision too!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

It’s send the wrong message to the member to switch now, could really undermine their confidence

I don’t feel this show is cleaning the way it should be, a lot of leaning into moves, dirty rotations, getting that 2009 vibe. Also, as they are finishing the show, a certain amount of cheese is showing up in the GE that’s been there all year but now is holding it back. The counting, neon and Shosti don’t mix for me, sort of a disconnect between the music and the mood…so I feel the black helps

The reality is exactly the opposite - the members were super excited about the uniform change - kind of like kids at Christmas when they were getting fitted. The attitude of the members is through the roof right now - they know they have an impossible show, and they are performing it at a very high level. They certainly don't seem concerned about the competitive aspect - that's not what this summer is about for them. Learning, accomplishment and understanding what excellence really means is what they are all focused on. Given theur schedule, I don't think they have even seen a show from another corps - other than the last minute, standing on the track waiting to go on. We are all focused on competition, The Cadets are focused on being the best Cadets they can be.

• Like 2

My grandmother was named Marion, and today would have been her 100th birthday. She was a big drum corps fan also. though she would have favored the West Reading Police Cadets over Garfield.

Oh happy birthday,

It's not "taking a risk" or anything admirable, really.

It's yet another marketing gimmick, like tarps or fire trucks at finals.

It doesn't make design sense for the corps that marches and plays simultaneously better than anyone (if that's a thing that top corps do these days) and has for 30+ years.

Would Ohio State change their marching band uniforms for more "impact" at the Michigan game? Or the football uniforms?

Fact is: the entire show concept for "10" was stupid and silly and incoherent from the get-go. And this uniform thing - even if meant for Cadets2 - is just another product of the confusion and incoherence.

Cadets need a new approach to design if they're not going to squander top-notch talent with cheesy, incoherent, or downright dumb show concepts and designs. And that means they might need new leadership. SO many talented alumni and fans out there with great ideas, and instead, we get dumbness shoved down the MMs throats (like 12.25, etc.) from the top down.

Top down dictatorial decisions just don't work these days and for this generation. Is that entitlement? Maybe, but that's what this young generation wants: part ownership of their ideas.

How cool would it be if the Cadets solicit show ideas from alumni, fans, and MMs, and make the concept selection transparent enough to be democratic, and that way, it would be the community's show, rather than some guy's show?

And in conclusion: the black uniforms are unbefitting of the Cadets tradition, shelved the best uniform in all of DCI, and are a fail, just like the entire concept of "10".

Hmmm, it's an amazing show. I feel sorry for you if you are a drum corps fan and think this is an epic fail. It's one of the greatest things in the field.
  • Like 6

Does it really matter now what we all think? The little people in green have made their decision too!

Really?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Same reaction. People are forgetting what an incredible show they have this year, like the uniforms or not. Time to remember what is really important.

I still like the show. I liked it better in white pants. it made the visual insanity stick out more. if they went maroon and black I think it would have been less jarring

• Like 1

In case you missed it, they won 2 of 3 visual judges and 2 of 3 music judges last night. GE is underperforming, that is true, maybe it's the unis maybe not -- most likely that guard design/performance is the biggest factor.

Onward and upward to Champs, Cadets!

Exactly.