DCI in Indy through 2028

Carolina Crown was 4 spots out of finals 13 years ago. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

pipe down.

People keep looking at this from the perspective of the adults, but what about the younger fans? What about the local high school students in California that won't get the experience of having Finals in their backyard where thay can catch a bus, ride their bike, car pool to the gig. A Finals ticket on its own isn't out of reach for kids when they can factor out travel costs. Also, what about the school programs that could go to the show together.

The bottom line here is that the West Coast has never been given the love from DCI similar to that of the midwest or east coast. It's just frustrating that so many non-west coast fans seem to think that it's no big deal when they've never really known what it's like in our shoes.

Oh well... it is what it is.

• Like 2

Whether you call it a sport or not, DCI championships are a weather dependent competitive event. There's the acoustic trade off of course, but sticking to Indy seems like a no-brainer to me.You wouldn't enjoy it much in your home town if you got unlucky and saw nothing but three days of rain instead of drum corps.

Edited by troon8

There ARE indoor stadiums in other cities.

Going from another reply's idea... the positives outweigh the negatives. They know exactly what they are getting with a finals week at Indy. They know Lucas Oil inside and out for logistics, seating, tech, recording and streaming. The presence of DCI activity outside of the stadium continues to evolve and grow. Thanks to partnerships with local leaders, vendors and volunteers.

And let's not forget the package deal for DCI offices to call home. The same home as Music For All, PAS. A stones throw from WGI.

I understand why people want it moved, but if it makes more sense, and it seems that it is not turning fans away, then it is the right decision.

Edited by mingusmonk

9 hours from South central PA.

Piece of cake.

Southern DCA corps takes 17+ hours to get to Rochester.

Going from another reply's idea... the positives outweigh the negatives. They know exactly what they are getting with a finals week at Indy. They know Lucas Oil inside and out for logistics, seating, tech, recording and streaming. The presence of DCI activity outside of the stadium continues to evolve and grow. Thanks to partnerships with local leaders, vendors and volunteers.

And let's not forget the package deal for DCI offices to call home. The same home as Music For All, PAS. A stones throw from WGI.

I understand why people want it moved, but if it makes more sense, and it seems that it is not turning fans away, then it is the right decision.

I agree that DCI is comfortable with Indy finals and the current tour. After 7 years, they ought to be! I also agree that they have good financial incentives for Indy.

Nevertheless, from 1972 to 2008, every year DCI managed to figure out all the things you mention in stadiums around the country. They could certainly do it again. I thought 2004 Denver and 2007 Pasadena were great, well-attended championships. Its sad to think that not only is finals never going to those cities again, they are not even going to get a big show after early July for the next 13 years.

• Like 2