Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

Man just caught up on the pages. Good thing we only had 5 groups at the show to talk about ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah. I just did a cursory read-through of the recaps. Holy cow!! I'm not sure when the last time was that I saw such crazy divergences from top to bottom. Absolutely wild!! And as crazy as things were between the top five....check out positions 8-14.

Edited by HornTeacher

Sam, what is your opinion on performance order? Will going on fourth hurt Devil's scoring options?

I am no expert in such things, but I thought it was generally accepted that going on last or next to last was important for the judges to fix scores of the top tier corps as directly compared to one another. Number one Crown will go on 30 minutes after 4th place BD.

It CAN hurt....a corps that's easily affected by it, and BD is NOT that kind of corps.

Most of the alums are saying the same thing...the met thing will NOT happen again, the corps is ###### off, and woe be whoever gets in their way.

They'll be gunning for 1st tomorrow, and not just to ensure they go on last Saturday night.

• Like 5

It CAN hurt....a corps that's easily affected by it, and BD is NOT that kind of corps.

Most of the alums are saying the same thing...the met thing will NOT happen again, the corps is ###### off, and woe be whoever gets in their way.

They'll be gunning for 1st tomorrow, and not just to ensure they go on last Saturday night.

What was it that Admiral Yamamoto supposedly said immediately following Pearl Harbor?? Something like "I'm afraid all we have done is awake a sleeping giant"? Hmmm....

Yeah, CrownGuard did NOT have a good night. They've been really clean since mid-July and tonight was just... off. Chalk it up to first-night-in-the-dome jitters, maybe.

Sorry but this is such a silly statement IMO...dome jitters?...come on!

just saw the placements 2 hours after leaving the theater.

i'm happy crown won.

3rd or 4th is where i'd have BD in terms of my favorites, with or without the penalty. loved them last year, but there's just not enough to their show this year to merit a championship, imo.

was hoping to see madison jump above phantom, though i can understand why they didn't.

yes, i realize anything can happen over the next couple of days.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

Sorry but this is such a silly statement IMO...dome jitters?...come on!

Have you ever been through the process of going from warmup to the field at Lucas Oil? If not, it's pretty hard to understand. It's one of the things I really don't like about having Finals in Indy. I think that has more to do with performance issues than actually performing in there - it's not a very intimidating stadium from the field the way the stands are laid out, honestly.

Yes, the Colts did have substance aside from the singing. Some uneven judging in areas.

Mandarins took it on the chin. Almost as if they were slotted before they hit the show. !!!

• Like 1

Overall, my impression from the theater was that DCI 2015 is a fantastic season. I'm not sure what year I've liked the top 15 more than this one. There were more people than usual in the Portland OR theater, although it was not full.

Colts - I loved this show design. I think this is one of the best attempts I've seen to create a "theatrical" DCI production. The pacing and the interplay between the actors and the corps were very well done. They also win "most effective female vocalist" (this year's most hotly contested caption).

Madison - I am about the polar opposite of a Madison homer. I loved their performance tonight. I was not optimistic about this show at the season opener, but they have done wonderful things with it. It never goes over the top, the arrangements are fantastic, and it's very entertaining. Bravo, new Madison staff!

Blue Knights - Outstanding show. They did a good job in the theater of capturing the appearing and disappearing guard members - it's a cool effect. I thought the closer was absolutely gripping tonight, but it seemed like the soft ending kind of surprised the audience and took away from their crowd reaction.

SCV - Visually, I thought this was the most interesting show of the night. The drill responds very well to the music, the guard is integrated in interesting ways, the props are used well. I want to like the music book, but somehow it just doesn't sell itself despite the great percussion performance.

Bluecoats - Mesmerizing. Captivating. I am so disappointed that I did not get to see this show live, as you could tell that the various sonic effects only partially translated to the theater. Even if they finish 4th, this is a show that people are going to study and learn from. Bluecoats aren't just innovating, they are selling the whole audience on the DCI of the future.

Crown - It's amazing to me how much stronger they have made this show. Their effects are powerful and speak extremely clearly to the audience. The guard performance is breathtaking - I can't count how many times the camera focused on a performer and caught some outstanding guard work in the background.I found myself wanting more from the brass tonight, but it was still extremely impressive. They don't have everything this year, but it looks like they probably have enough for ring #2.

Cadets - The marching and playing are the best of the year. But for all that, the show comes across as surprisingly sterile. There's an explosion of 10s on the field and in the show, but none of them attract much attention or create much impact. The only guard moment that really stood out for me was the flags that enter with the french horns. I thought the back-to-back clips of Black vs Maroon & Gold were very instructive. I don't think it was a helpful change.

BD - The word that most stuck in my head was "cluttered". Perhaps it was the camera angles chosen, but there is so much stuff on the field, so many characters, so many moving pieces that the show just didn't seem to communicate very effectively. The performances are great - I enjoyed the brass more than Crown tonight - but this is far from their strongest show design. I think the little girl might be the cheesiest thing I have seen from BD in the last 29 years of watching DCI shows.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said.. you're my new hero.. I'll prob get crucified again on here for agreeing with a BD critique.. but I'll "weather the storm" lol

just because I suddenly feel out-of-the-loop.. How old is the girl in BD's show? isn't there an age limit? I suppose she could be 14.. or am I just no longer in tune with the rules and reg's... ? does anyone have the info on this?