Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

One more close-up that would have been nice: the Blue Stars "strong man" competition's winner is lifted on high by two other members, who hold him like a bridge while other guard members toss their equipment over him. It's like what they did with the couch last year. The cameras were looking elsewhere.

Did anyone notice that Crown has a similar guard element? I believe it was just as the "Abandon All Hope" banner was finishing its ride over the corps: the last guard member tosses his rifle very high, does a somersault underneath another member held like a bridge, and catches the rifle on the other side.

Even Cadets' guard has a member lifted as a bridge. Seems to be a required move this year along with triple tonguing, singers, tuba feature, baritone soloist,, and...wearing blue or black.

I know it's basically forbidden to say this on DCP but Blue Devils were my favorite. And I'm not a homer

They just keep serving up varied, inventive, entertaining musical and visual moments performed at an unbelievable level

Yes they do, from top down BD is a well run organization with a consistent talented design staff.

Look at the top 5 corps and you will similar organizational models.

Management goes a long way towards winning DCI medals.

didn't know where to put this;

But DCI has now officially announced the change in the judging line up for Finals as compared to what they had previously listed before Prelims.

Jay Kennedy who was scheduled to do percussion with Jeff Prosperie will now do Music Analysis. He replaces Greenwell. Caleb Rothe will do percussion with Prosperie, not Kennedy.

Who's on first, Evers or Chance? sez Abbott and Costello.

That is genuinely interesting.

DCP'ers had been saying in advance that semi's would have judges who would be "Blue Devils friendly." I don't know if that's true or not, but it seems clear there was a deliberate move on somebody's part to move judges around.

If this was a move by DCI to alter the perception of judges' bias, then I applaud them. Perception is reality and the drum corps community seems extremely tuned in to this. If the DCP'ers are tuned in, than I guarantee you the corps staff's and directors are as well.

I have to say, the multi cam did some unspeakable things during vanguards show. A lot of cool moments were missed cause they were zooming in on the percussion section or the pit. The ending part where the different sides of the block cross over to the other side, followed by the ripple jump turn... completely missed. It made me quite disappointed....

The CONSTANT changing of camera angles in DCI vid's have bugged me for years, and this year is no different. WE ARE NOT CHILDREN WHO HAVE ADHD! We don't WANT a new camera angle every 5 seconds, literally.

We are adults and sometimes the high cam view is NEEDED for 20 seconds or so to allow formations to be viewed as intended by the designers.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

That is genuinely interesting.

DCP'ers had been saying in advance that semi's would have judges who would be "Blue Devils friendly." I don't know if that's true or not, but it seems clear there was a deliberate move on somebody's part to move judges around.

If this was a move by DCI to alter the perception of judges' bias, then I applaud them. Perception is reality and the drum corps community seems extremely tuned in to this. If the DCP'ers are tuned in, than I guarantee you the corps staff's and directors are as well.

No.

I don't know what the reason is, but 'perception of bias' is not the reason.

Edited by mfrontz

Tonight at the theater, I saw ten really good drum corps, four great corps and one drum corps that is hors catégorie. Regardless of how it is scored, Blue Devils are at a dIfferent level from their competition.

HAHAHAHA....ahaha...aha.

My doctor told me I needed at least 4 hearty chuckles a day. Thanks!

It CAN hurt....a corps that's easily affected by it, and BD is NOT that kind of corps.

Most of the alums are saying the same thing...the met thing will NOT happen again, the corps is ###### off, and woe be whoever gets in their way.

They'll be gunning for 1st tomorrow, and not just to ensure they go on last Saturday night.

If your competitive attitude is reflecting their competitive attitude, we might just have a new #1 seed going into finals!

What a great ending to a great year, where raw competitive emotion literally CAN alter the outcome of the championships! This is the kind of scenario we fans drool over. This Saturday is going to be special.

Thanks for your insight, Sam. You've still got it! :bluedevil::thumbup::bluedevil:

Edited by wvu80

No.

I don't know what the reason is, but 'perception of bias' is not the reason.

I used a qualifying statement, "IF". You say "no", changing judges is not for "altering perception of fairness." The law uses a phrase that deals with public officials not just avoiding impropriety itself, but the appearance of impropriety. It's not a new concept, and its not my original idea.

If you admit you don't know the answer, then how do you know what I speculated is unequivocally wrong?

If you're simply giving your opinion and it is different from mine, that's perfectly OK, because I sure don't know. :cool:

Edited by wvu80

The CONSTANT changing of camera angles in DCI vid's have bugged me for years, and this year is no different. WE ARE NOT CHILDREN WHO HAVE ADHD! We don't WANT a new camera angle every 5 seconds, literally.

We are adults and sometimes the high cam view is NEEDED for 20 seconds or so to allow formations to be viewed as intended by the designers.

To add to this, why must they do close ups on the singers? They're singing, we get it. Show what's going on around them please!

• Like 2

I saw this addressed somewhere yesterday. If one of the international corps qualified for semifinals (they didn't), they would not bump an in compliance DCI corps. There would just be an extra corps in semis.

You're right! Jubal should have been penalized for overage members! (I don't think Chien Kuo, which is a high school, has overage members, and I'm not sure about GBS.) At all previous shows this season, Jubal and the other international corps were indeed judged on a separate (but numerically equivalent) sheet. Tonight they were not. Because they were not, I think all the same rules should apply.

Not that it matters, because none of these international corps qualified for Semis. But if Jubal, with overage members, had done so well as to qualify, would that bump out some other corps whose members were all of age?