Official DCI Prelims Thread 2015

Wow I finally caught up on these posts from about 5:30 tonight...haha

• Like 1

I agree with EVERYTHING you said.. you're my new hero.. I'll prob get crucified again on here for agreeing with a BD critique.. but I'll "weather the storm" lol

just because I suddenly feel out-of-the-loop.. How old is the girl in BD's show? isn't there an age limit? I suppose she could be 14.. or am I just no longer in tune with the rules and reg's... ? does anyone have the info on this?

They could have a 2 year old out there and they would not be breaking any rules. There is an upper age limit, no lower age limit.

They could have a 2 year old out there and they would not be breaking any rules. There is an upper age limit, no lower age limit.

...but how many total members did they have?...I'm going to count...haha...just kidding

I have to say, the multi-cam did some unspeakable things during Vanguard's show. A lot of cool moments were missed cause they were zooming in on the percussion section or the pit. The ending part where the different sides of the block cross over to the other side, followed by the ripple jump turn. . . completely missed. It made me quite disappointed.

Overall, there were far more good camera shot choices than bad ones, but quite a bit was missed nonetheless. Too tired now to go back through my notes, where I listed a dozen or so fairly prominent examples, but off the top of my head here are two whose absence I regretted:

--Blue Knights: no shots of the flags being swung from behind the mirrors near the beginning, which is such a cool effect.

--Cadets: no clear shot of the guard removing the covers from the boxes at the end to reveal the black and white 10s. (If you knew it was coming and were looking in the right spot, you could just barely see one guard member starting to do this.)

Far more annoying (to me) than such film flubs was the lack of insightful commentary from the announcers. There were, I think, fewer than five helpful remarks from them all evening. (The best was Will Pitts' reference to BK's mirrors as "anti-props".) I don't blame them; they're working on the fly. Just get them some writers!

I was not aware that there wasn't a lower age limit, thanks :)

The commentators are worse than useless. Turrible

I was texting between shows and wasn't really listening to them....and even got yelled out from someone ten rows back for me to turn my cell off...I mean seriously?..what was so exciting between the show and/or pre-show...lol

Troopers were 11th in brass and 12th in percussion, but 15th in music analysis.

I can think of one prominent musical component of Troopers' show that neither the brass or percussion judges would evaluate.

The commentators are worse than useless. Turrible

i found out that Will Pitts wrote spirit's brass book, which i really like. so there's that.

whatever, they try hard and mean well.

i'm getting older, but i hereby vow never to dye my hair. rondo's is frightening.

• Like 1