Attenance (Interest?) Up - What's the Next Step

From reading here appears attendance is up at shows including Finals Weekend. No idea why things are up in 2015 be it no FN, economy, getting info out better, whatever or even more interest in DCI.

Question is if this continues what should be the next step(s)? Throwing out a few as general ideas and feel free to add or build.

Find out why things are up and build on that.

Try to increase attendance.

Try to increase involvement with corps (marchers, volunteers, sponsors).

Try to increase shows, publicity, etc.

Build on start up of new corps and their health....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Hopefully, with attendance up, revenues should be up. If revenues are up, I'd like to see DCI return to full panels for the summer season. The predominant reason cited for DCI going to half panels for half the competitive season a few years back was that incoming revenues were not sufficient to continue the decades long practice of full judging panels. Now, if reports are up that attendance is the best in years, put that money into full judging panels. The kids who bust their arse, deserve 100% commitment in their judged shows. Lets be honest here, having a Drum & Bugle Corps competition without a Drum judge, or a Brass Judge, or a Guard judge is dopey beyond belief.

• Like 5

Jim, in-person attendance has gone up. But, in my opinion, the chance to keep going up, or even stay at today's levels is limited by the ability of the venue to provide a good seat to everyone. I'm one of the few fans who likes to see venues with too much capacity!

• Like 1

just keep going with the slow build and the social media outreach. don't try to be too much too fast.

now the key is how can DCA start seeing some of this rub off on them

• Like 3

I think DCI should have been surveying people at shows and asking them WHY they are attending...perhaps they can do that for finals?..it's not too late for that.

I would suggest finding out why attendance is up and keep doing the same thing. Based on what I've read in other posts, the shows that had the most growth also had younger audiences which probably means reaching out to school groups. As I've also said before, keep reaching out to alums. Not all hate what is happening today and are often very impressed, yes they will think they truly did drum corps, but everyone thinks that way. People who marched in the 60's thought drum corps died with them, same with 70's, 80's, 90's, and so on.

Hopefully, with attendance up, revenues should be up. If revenues are up, I'd like to see DCI return to full panels for the summer season. The predominant reason cited for DCI going to half panels for half the competitive season a few years back was that incoming revenues were not sufficient to continue the decades long practice of full judging panels. Now, if reports are up that attendance is the best in years, put that money into full judging panels. The kids who bust their arse, deserve 100% commitment in their judged shows. Lets be honest here, having a Drum & Bugle Corps competition without a Drum judge, or a Brass Judge, or a Guard judge is dopey beyond belief.

How about just 3 judges ... 1 for brass, 1 for percussion and 1 for guard?

People who marched in the 60's thought drum corps died with them, same with 70's, 80's, 90's, and so on.

Having marched in the 90's I am SO glad that I'm not part of THAT statistic...

• Like 1

If attendance is up, well, I guess I would just have to say that when I toured with a corps as a truck driver, back in 2010-2011, we went to a LOT of smaller venues. High School stadiums without much seating. (Not to mention trying to maneuver in tight spots.) If attendance is up, then people must be packed in like sardines everywhere.

The seats were almost always full or nearly full at these smaller venues - but like someone said, everybody wants a good seat. Along with that, everybody wants to see a good performance. Some of these competition sites were just too small. Is that really all they can get??

Not everybody is able to see the corps when they're as close to perfection as they're going to get, and not everybody can sit in the middle.

Maybe they need more competitions at universities where there is a lot more seating. Then they can sell more tickets. Raising prices is an option as well. If demand outweighs the supply, raise the price.

Perhaps they should take a look at the way they schedule competitions and alter it to favor more seats.

When you see your revenue go up, the first thing you should do with the extra money is to reinvest it into what caused your revenue to rise in the first place.