All of Last Year's Finalists Make Finals Again

The top 4 remain the top 4, the middle four remain in the middle, and the bottom four stay at the bottom. The predictability has made Finals week nothing more than an expensive exhibition.

I feel for corps like Troopers, Colts and Academy. They are given the false promise of making a change and breaking in.

There is no change.

• Like 1

How many MMs try out for a new corps in the next higher tier?

The only thing keeping us from the haves vs. have NOTS is the depth of the talent pool coming along. The 13 thru 25th corps are able to start from a much higher level than in the past.

The top 4 remain the top 4, the middle four remain in the middle, and the bottom four stay at the bottom. The predictability has made Finals week nothing more than an expensive exhibition.

I feel for corps like Troopers, Colts and Academy. They are given the false promise of making a change and breaking in.

There is no change.

The top 4 remain the top 4, uh except last year Crown was 5th.

The middle 4 remain the middle 4, except for Cavaliers, Madison and Crown of course.

The bottom 4 remain the bottom 4, except for their new friend the Cavaliers and waving goodbye to Madison.

So yes, a fair amount of placement changes this year. Just not in 14th-11th. I thought Colts, Troopers and Academy had worthy shows and Colts/Troopers had some captions that placed higher. Historically the bottom of finals has been pretty volatile, so I won't be surprised if either climb in next season.

There is no change.

Academy had their best year since 2011. I'm sure they are happy. Colts must be disappointed since they were so close last year. Troopers as well, but it's not as if there was unfair. If you look at the 12th place holder, Crossmen, their show was not perfect, but it did what needed to be done where it needed to be done. This worked well competitively. Also kids who March DCI are competitive, know that nothing is a given, and no one can promise them anything. When the dust settles, they still had the time of their lives.

There's no magical formula to making finals. The corps that returned to finals from last year had Great Design Elements, Great Marching Technique, and Great Music. I was pulling for the Troopers/Colts/Academy but the corps above them March, Drum, Spin and Play just a little better. Thing is design gets a lot of discussion as most important, but great design goes no where without great execution. now adays the top 15 are something that would've beaten my 9th place corps back in the day. No lie. But, it just shows the levels of parity that is on display in the lower finalist-15 place corps. It means more I think now to see 12 corps return to finals than in 87-88 or 05-06. To me, the corps in 13-20+ were not nearly the strength that the are now. I think Mega Congrats are in order to the top 12- Way to go Crossmen, BStars, Boston, Cavaliers, Madison, Phantom, Blue Knights, SCV, Cadets, Bluecoats, Blue Devils and Crown! Good luck tonight!

Also Kudos to Troopers, Colts, Academy, SCVC, Spirit, BDB, Mandarins and others for making such amazing quality drum corps for us all to watch. You've made this the best season I've ever seen!

Academy had their best year since 2011. I'm sure they are happy. Colts must be disappointed since they were so close last year. Troopers as well, but it's not as if there was unfair. If you look at the 12th place holder, Crossmen, their show was not perfect, but it did what needed to be done where it needed to be done. This worked well competitively. Also kids who March DCI are competitive, know that nothing is a given, and no one can promise them anything. When the dust settles, they still had the time of their lives.

They're also human beings who would like to know that their efforts are being appreciated, not only by the fans, but by the judges. They'd like to experience finals without ever questioning politics of DCI judging,

Sounds like it's been top 12 for many years, but why 12? Why not 15 or even just 10?

They're also human beings who would like to know that their efforts are being appreciated, not only by the fans, but by the judges. They'd like to experience finals without ever questioning politics of DCI judging,

Sounds like it's been top 12 for many years, but why 12? Why not 15 or even just 10?

12 corps can fit on the field during retreat at finals.

• Like 1

Why ? because thats what it is. Can there be more or less ? , sure but then your argument can still continue. Sure everyone wants to be in finals, sure there are corps worthy but a line is drawn. that's pretty much it

• Like 1