Phantom Regiment 2016

And they had Myron "The Mad Scientist" Rosander doing the drill, yes? Watch the show on fast forward sometime - it's amazing to see the gradual progression across the field. Of course, sometimes he out-writes the ensemble (Madison 2006, Phantom 2010) but I don't care - I'll watch any of his shows anytime.

I hate to say it, but Swan Lake to me really *was* forgettable. Even the uniform switch didn't really do a lot to rescue it, especially as the music didn't change along with it. It took me all summer, but I really did get into City of Lights by Finals. Phantom occasionally throws out lighter-themed shows, and it just took them a bit to find their groove.

I mentioned this a few months ago, but I feel Phantom really needs to expand their wheelhouse of repertoires. (Don't start with "romantic music only" - they ditched that a long time ago.) Carolina Crown's E=mc2 - why couldn't Philip Glass have been a Phantom program? How about all John Adams, who isn't unfamiliar to Phantom? Heck, Crown even managed to out-Phantom Phantom this summer with Inferno - spiritually, it wasn't that dissimilar to Faust.

I love me some Phantom every year, but I root for them to get out of their rut. (And I also root for them to go back to the "classic" Phantom jackets, the 1989-90 / 1993-4 / 2003-5 ones...) Maybe some new faces in the staff lineups will help with that.

Mike

I definitely agree with Crown becoming the new Phantom. Regiment stayed in rehash mode for so long that Crown grabbed the chance to take on the classical genre and ran with it, playing new and incredible music. Phantom seems to be unable to define who they are now, especially with the direction DCI has taken.

Well, to tie into another popular thread, Symphnonie Fantastique could be an interesting concept using music from more contemporary composers Glass, Adams, etc.

Edited by Sutasaurus

Well, to tie into another popular thread, Symphnonie Fantastique could be an interesting concept using music from more contemporary composers Glass, Adams, etc.

but in true Regiment style, this time they will use a genuine guillotine and pick up where wicked Queen Joan left off. :-D

• Like 1

The problem with saying Crown are the new Regiment is Crown are just as liable to do a pop show as they are Classical.

They don't want pigeon holed into any particular musical style apart from sh1t hot.

The problem with saying Crown are the new Regiment is Crown are just as liable to do a pop show as they are Classical.

They don't want pigeon holed into any particular musical style apart from sh1t hot.

And classical / brass band, which works its way into every show. (More of a DCI issue than a Crown issue...)

Mike

I prefer to say that Crown out-Regimented the Regiment. That is, they've been able to program classical music in a way that's modern and with a cool (most of the time fun) theme. When they do "classical," they do it more effectively.

• Like 1

Agreed.

Crown's music is not limited to a genre but does generally have a few features: technically challenging, effective, appropriate.

I prefer to say that Crown out-Regimented the Regiment. That is, they've been able to program classical music in a way that's modern and with a cool (most of the time fun) theme. When they do "classical," they do it more effectively.

The usual automatic response in Rockford would be "NO ONE defeats the Regiment!'

But "Outing" the Regiment... that may be beyond the pale.

Edited by xandandl