Phantom Regiment 2016

But that simply has not worked for them lately. As much as I love hearing PR play classics, I like this approach.

Define lately. I'd say Turandot worked, and that was 100% Puccini. I'd say the same for Juliet, and that was dominated by Mozart/Verdi/Wagner.

If this season is anything like 2003 or 2007, I will be one happy Phan! Those are two of my favorite DCI shows ever!

While I do agree that their forays into more modern repertoire (see 2003, partly 2007, etc) have been among my favorites of PR's, they've found their highest peaks with almost straight-up classical selections.

• Like 1

If this season is anything like 2003 or 2007, I will be one happy Phan! Those are two of my favorite DCI shows ever!

The closers in 2003 and 2007 were otherworldly. Let's see if Will Pitts can work some magic this year

• Like 1

Their straight up classical has been hit or miss...definitely not consistent. I believe 2003 was the start of winning the hearts and minds with music, GE and Execution. The drill soon followed.

Including newer classical pieces will increase the breadth and depth of their performances and selections moving forward. What better way to introduce new composers than through drumcorp..

I think the older classical music has been worn out and has put limitations on what the corp can do. By expanding their musical selections like they did in 2003, it opened up a new door of creativity they hadn't pursued and lead them to the path of success. There is still room for some of the older classical music, but modern classical / or even newer music will bring a fresh sound to Regiment and will add to their visual program and its maturity.

Well, there's SO MUCH classical music out there that hasn't been put on the field. I can't imagine that older classical music has been completely worn out just yet, but that's just me.

• Like 2

The closers in 2003 and 2007 were otherworldly. Let's see if Will Pitts can work some magic this year

I'm so excited to hear what this cat can do. I hope that I'm not setting my expectations too high, but I'm just ready for Phantom to get their sound back.

• Like 1

Well, there's SO MUCH classical music out there that hasn't been put on the field. I can't imagine that older classical music has been completely worn out just yet, but that's just me.

It's not just you.

• Like 1

I think one of the reasons that 2003 and 2007 worked so well was the blending of classical and percussion (more modern) music and timbres. I believe that's why most fans find those shows "fresh" and "new" because they were indeed adding layers to classical music that were not originally written, and the Rennicks were instrumental to this through their writing.

I don't think that classical music needs to be abandoned, and there are certainly pieces we aren't tired of yet (re: Young Person's Guide), but I would like them to explore the unplayed classics and introduce the audience to pieces not yet heard on the field. Example: a, if not the, musical highlight of 2014 was the "Fanfare from La Peri" - evidence of this can be found in the concerts of college and high school bands, who programmed the piece in their fall concerts.