Phantom Regiment 2016

Color me underwhelmed. To be fair, I just don't like YPG. But it seems like they missed another chance to give us a modern drum corps show with their trademark sound.

Mike

This is a pretty good summary of my general feelings toward PR in recent years - though probably I've been "whelmed" more often than "underwhelmed". In other words, they're fine, and I'm glad they continue to do their thing... I just wish they would do it a little bit better. I don't mean to be a hater, as I have friends who have marched there, taught there, and even designed there, and I support and encourage their efforts. I'd just like to see the Regiment as fresh again. They obviously have done some beautiful things over the years and have earned the adulation of many. I hope they can find some magic again sometime soon.

It doesn't make sense though. Why not just have a better arranged show from the beginning of the season? Why would you have really bad awkward transitions in the first place? Why would you have big sections that you cut out and redo completely? Everyone layers. That's not new.

The description you just gave makes it sound like they intentionally come out with a weaker initial product and wait to make it better. Why not make it better in the first place? I can't think of a good reason for that.

I agree. Oftentimes, changes like these occur out of necessity, meaning the original ideas just don't work. I have a hard time believing that intentionally putting out a flawed product is part of the plan.

For me where the Regiment let themselves down with regards to show design, is they seem less equipped to pre-empt what the judges are looking for in the season ahead. As a result they start the season playing catch-up.

Can't be helped by constantly replacing their staff... why do the board of Directors keep doing this?

I'm a fan of his years book. YPG is a fantastic piece of music, it has Regiment written all over it.

Drop any thoughts of giant kindergarten puppets and avoidable deaths... you'll do just fine.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

I like the music in general. Transitions are awkward and pacing is meh for some of the pieces but I believe this can be a good vehicle for them as long as they develop the show throughout the season and make the proper changes

my complaints are that shostakovich never really develops into final statement so there doesn't really seem to be a reason it is even included since we never get to react to it.

That and the opener and closer are pretty short, and it seems like most of the show is ballad, drum break, ballad. There are a lot of things I like about the arrangements though, especially the first ballad and YPG.

The thing that most confuses me about the arrangements is why the pit has to diddly bop all over the Shostakovich. Doesn't fit, IMO.

The thing that most confuses me about the arrangements is why the pit has to diddly bop all over the Shostakovich. Doesn't fit, IMO.

You mean the head Bob thing?

You mean the head Bob thing?

Why they have to play big runs on top of all the lush brassy goodness.

The version of the Concert I saw included the Encore piece of Elsa;s Procession. The announcer, Mike Robinson, thanks the PR volunteers for preparing 2 different sets of uniforms plus all the meals.

I'm wondering if the referencewas to the pit or to something more encompassing... They'll probably make us wait until Stillman Valley reveal...