MADISON SCOUTS 2016

All this talk about body being forced and only five moves that everyone does over and over is unfounded. I think you have perhaps just stopped really watching, noticing, trying to appreciate something that is different from what you know best (It happens as we get older). Example of great movement and all extremely show driven: Blue Knights 2015- ( I will avoid using my own corps as an example).

And I would like to mention that it was Scouts that raised the body ante, dancing while playing some hard stuff in the early 80's. The activity got better as more tried to do the same, with many failing at first.

HUH? Yes, but don't you want demand? Your statement seems to say that corps could march at 132 beats a minute for the whole show and as long as they are in step, their show should carry as much value as anyone that demonstrates more variety, which I think almost always leads to better GE.

But it's not variety. This new judging system has made everyone a near carbon copy of one another, while playing different music. Same drill, same chop and bop, same ridiculous body movement, same ridiculous lack of melody...the list goes on and on. DCI is becoming a snooze fest.

I've decided to not even watch San Antonio this weekend. I'll tune in for SCV and Madison, and maybe BK. That's it. I don't really feel that I need to see anyone else any more this season...boring!

• Like 2

I feel the same way on that! The three corps that I would pay to see now are Bluecoats, Madison & SCV.

Edited by Madcityscout

But it's not variety. This new judging system has made everyone a near carbon copy of one another, while playing different music. Same drill, same chop and bop, same ridiculous body movement, same ridiculous lack of melody...the list goes on and on. DCI is becoming a snooze fest.

I've decided to not even watch San Antonio this weekend. I'll tune in for SCV and Madison, and maybe BK. That's it. I don't really feel that I need to see anyone else any more this season...boring!

I know a ton of people that would love your account if you don't want to watch.
  • Like 2

So interesting. I see the activity way more diverse corps to corps now than even 5 years ago. BD is NOTHING like Crown, is nothing like Cavies, is nothing like Phantom, is nothing like BK.

Your take on things are of course yours and I respect that. But, this reminds me of our current political situation in the US. I am boggled by how any two people can see and hear something and have polar opposite reactions. Donald Trump is the savior of America, Donald Trump is a complete idiot. Crown is the best drum corps to ever step in a field, Crown is the worst thing I have ever seen or heard. It just boggles my mind. Is there really something on the water? Not saying you are right and i am wrong. just on opposite pages.

• Like 1

So interesting. I see the activity way more diverse corps to corps now than even 5 years ago. BD is NOTHING like Crown, is nothing like Cavies, is nothing like Phantom, is nothing like BK.

Your take on things are of course yours and I respect that. But, this reminds me of our current political situation in the US. I am boggled by how any two people can see and hear something and have polar opposite reactions. Donald Trump is the savior of America, Donald Trump is a complete idiot. Crown is the best drum corps to ever step in a field, Crown is the worst thing I have ever seen or heard. It just boggles my mind. Is there really something on the water? Not saying you are right and i am wrong. just on opposite pages.

well in Flint...

• Like 1

One can choose to see what they want. Just look at the convention this week..lol we can convince ourselves of almost anything I suppose.

• Like 1

I know a ton of people that would love your account if you don't want to watch.

Doubt it. This has always been a small niche activity. Diminishing his feelings via a retort like this is very typical

I just don't see it like you do. Corps are playing to the sheets. BD is the corps that wins most. Most corps are going to try to emulate what they are doing. Every corps has the same body movement, every corps has the guard dancing as much or more than they are using equipment, every corps is playing multiple pieces of music which prevents any building of melody and the piece. Every corps has brassline's who seem to barely play.

I'm ALL for change and evolution. I hate narration, but I'm not upset corps use it. I LOOOOOOVE the use of Trombones. I am impartial to the use of electronics. But, at the end of the day, I don't know how anyone could watch a show like '87 Vanguard, '88 Madison, '89 Regiment, '90 Star (to name a few) and think that anyone today is nearly as entertaining as those shows were. Those shows had drill that wasn't demanding for the sake of demand. It had purpose, it flowed with the music, it had big open forms incorporating the entire musical ensemble. It had melody. It's pieces built and evolved into a climax ('96 Regiment comes to mind). They had hornlines that played for almost the entire show, not just 6 minutes. They had guards that did synchronized guard work for most of the show.

I'm not some old timer who can't handle change, but I wholeheartedly believe DCI was WAY MORE entertaining '84 (my first year) through the mid-2000s.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 3

I just don't see it like you do. Corps are playing to the sheets. BD is the corps that wins most. Most corps are going to try to emulate what they are doing. Every corps has the same body movement, every corps has the guard dancing as much or more than they are using equipment, every corps is playing multiple pieces of music which prevents any building of melody and the piece. Every corps has brassline's who seem to barely play.

I'm ALL for change and evolution. I hate narration, but I'm not upset corps use it. I LOOOOOOVE the use of Trombones. I am impartial to the use of electronics. But, at the end of the day, I don't know how anyone could watch a show like '87 Vanguard, '88 Madison, '89 Regiment, '90 Star (to name a few) and think that anyone today is nearly as entertaining as those shows were.

I honestly believe it's just a simple lack of exposure. I doubt many who prefer the way things are today spent more than one viewing or listening with those DVDs or CDs, let alone experienced those shows live. But it really is a whole different beast from a design standpoint. And most of it comes down to WGI's increased influence on DCI, with designers' efforts converging for both activities they design for.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1