MADISON SCOUTS 2016

How do you "be consistent"? Not post videos of any corps?

You made an argument on the use of electronics that essentially came down to nuance. Can't there be nuance here? If a corps is going out of its way to not leak any information, can we respect that? If a corps has posted quite a lot about its show concept, can we attempt to post a video (and see if they remove it)? To me, there exists nuance in how these two cases are approached. Releasing information may suggest some level of willingness to allow videos to be posted.

Sure, but then why do people continue to post videos of BD rehearsals even after BD has removed each of them within 24 hours of them being posted? I think BD is just as actively trying to prevent leaks as the Bluecoats are, yet we get a ton of outrage over a show title leak. Not sure if Madison has made any attempts to take down video yet.

I guess at this point, it doesn't really matter, I just found the difference in attitude odd.

Edited by Cappybara

Did I post this on the wrong topic or did you really quote it on the Madison thread?

I see your point. I guess the difference to me is they have been explicitly keeping every single thing a secret, so I think that makes it worse whe something gets leaked. I guess I have gotten so used to leaked videos over the years it's just become a part of the preseason process.

But, point taken.

Now back to Madison 2016.

Agree with some of the choppy comments, didn't bring it up because most have that issue and is something that gets fixed during the season. Don't think it'll be a long term issue.

You posted it in the Bluecoats thread, I posted it here because you had the most extreme reaction out of everyone regarding the leak. Nothing personal.

We can go back to the topic of Madison now

• Like 1

As far as the guitar (or any non organic sound introduced), how I judge the effect is, if it wasn't there would I say, "you know what this needs, a good (insert non organic sound of choice here). That being said, if the guitar was not there, I would not have missed it, and do find it less than necessary (IMO). Flame away.

• Like 2

The best part about this show is that they're not afraid to play music in tho 80-160 BPM range. Modern show design knows only two tempos: slow and fast, and it severely restricts the music available to it. Bravo.

• Like 3

Also, in an increasingly rare sight, not all of their music is in 4/4. When all your hornline is doing is providing sound effects for your show's abstract theme, 4/4 is all you need. But this corps is actually playing music. It's a wonderfully updated version of the 1999 show that retains what made it entertaining while also paying just enough lip service to modern DCI design to be fairly judged in competition. Really impressed.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 3

Also, in an increasingly rare sight, not all of their music is in 4/4. When all your hornline is doing is providing sound effects for your show's abstract theme, 4/4 is all you need. But this corps is actually playing music. It's a wonderfully updated version of the 1999 show that retains what made it entertaining while also paying just enough lip service to modern DCI design to be fairly judged in competition. Really impressed.

Hope you're right about the fairly judged part...

• Like 2

Just wanted to pop on here to share my thoughts. I have never been a Madison fan previously. However, I think that has finally changed. I enjoy this show significantly more than past shows and will be interested to see how it progresses throughout the season. There is lots of room for growth. It's going to be a very exciting year for them!

No-he's bitter that it's not still 1981, and nothing will ever live up to it. He strolls in about this time each year, #####es about the corps and activity in general, then leaves in August. He also asks questions that could be answered on the Scouts website or various Facebook pages, rather than being an active alumnus in those areas. It's comical, but also rather sad.

In 1981, 107 Corps competed at DCI among 3 divisions (source - Corpsreps.com). I, for one, think the activity was healthier back then. That is not to say all of today's innovations are worse than the 'good ole days' - for example transportation & attention to the physical health and nutrition of the members is light years ahead.

Not all was good in 1981. But not all was awful either.

In 1981, 107 Corps competed at DCI among 3 divisions (source - Corpsreps.com). I, for one, think the activity was healthier back then. That is not to say all of today's innovations are worse than the 'good ole days' - for example transportation & attention to the physical health and nutrition of the members is light years ahead.

Not all was good in 1981. But not all was awful either.

But things are looking up. Soundsport has been a help in bringing new open class groups in. It's not 107 but I think we should be close to 60 including groups that don't go to finals.

Just wanted to pop on here to share my thoughts. I have never been a Madison fan previously. However, I think that has finally changed. I enjoy this show significantly more than past shows and will be interested to see how it progresses throughout the season. There is lots of room for growth. It's going to be a very exciting year for them!