MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Just watched the video - and I think I have whiplash from the design. The entire program feels forced to me - on a couple of levels:

My two cents - there is no consistency or flow from one idea to the next. Too much chaos, especially in the end of the show. I think the design team was trying too hard to make this show different than the 1999 show. It's extremely difficult to redo a popular or successful show concept, and in my opinion this is the perfect example of that. The kids look and sound great, but the show design is choppy.

I will sit here and wait to be loathed by Scout Nation. I see tremendous promise for this show and am looking forward to watching it grow all season. Get get'em boys.

Absolutely. Choppy is the word I was looking for. Lets hope they smooth things out from here.

Maybe it is the dinosaur in me, but I believe that if the sound is part of the show, the sound should be made during the show by one of the performers. If the sound can be pre-recorded, then why not record the entire brass & drum music in a controlled indoor setting & just do the drum & brass equivalent of 'lip synching'?

Exactly right.

Why do we always have to move to an extreme just because a middle/balanced ground is allowed?

If we allow people to legally use addictive drugs such as tobacco, why don't we just make all addictive drugs legalized?

If some open carry states allow handguns, why not let them carry assault rifles too?

See how that can sound a little ridiculous?

Whats ridiculous is this analogy of yours

• Like 1

From watching other videos of the show the guitar is not nearly as prominent. It fits in nicely. I feel the show flows smoothly until the the closer and then it's choppy...but I think they'll change that.

• Like 1

Absolutely. Choppy is the word I was looking for. Lets hope they smooth things out from here.

Well, it's certainly a different arrangement than '99...and I can see the "choppy" comment, but based upon the arrangement trend since the '99 season, I consider this to be much more melodic than what drum corps turned into for a dozen or so years where any corps could have said they were playing any number of pieces and it would have sounded the same as any no matter what.

I would view mic'd solos less as solos in the traditional sense and more as a means to add to electronics design. That is, think less of BD 93 and more of Bluecoats/SCV 2015.

I guess I don't really see there being a need. For example, the first micced trombone solo. There wasn't anything special that needed amplification AND it was way out of balance with the ensemble. One horn louder than an entire hornline (not playing at the same time, but still)just doesn't sound right. Seemed gratuitous and done for the sake of doing it, not because it added anything musically.

• Like 1

I'm not sold on this arrangement. Just seems to have zero meat to it. They look better this year but this show needs some musical work to make some sense. Probably a case of wanting to impress DCI judging with being cutting adge and forgetting about oh, the music. I think they are gonna have a great year and the show does look fun.

• Like 1

Here is a Video of the first full uniform run through. June 21st, Mount Pleasant Utah. This was a non-DCI event. A preview show for Battalion and Madison. Saw the show live and loved it! Great show, tons of notes and so much energy. One of my top 5 Madison shows of all time.

Video Link:

https://goo.gl/photos/KniPi4TUinTFro1z5

Edited by sirvongalot

A few thoughts...

The Scouts look very well prepared & ahead of where they usually are to start the season.

If I didn't know this was Madison, I wouldn't of known this was Madison. I didn't see or hear any typical Madison signature moments.

I know its early, but the frantic helter skelter herky jerky arrangements & transitions missed the mark for me.

The Guitar is terrible & sounds out of place.

Having said that, Go get 'em Boys!

:blink: Are you new???

• Like 1