If you won the lottery...

If I said two chicks at once, would you guys get the joke?

Yep. I would do nothing....and I would get 40 subscriptions to Vibe magazine!

I would use the money to get it out of Indianapolis.

I can't take friends and family to a city like Indy. After a couple of years, you can't turn DCI finals into a vacation.

Orlando was awfully hot but at least I was excited to do other things while I visited.

Family vacation to Disney, MGM etc...

California in 07 was amazing, I had tons of friends and family come to visit while hitting up all the sites around the Los Angeles area.

I would try and start a few drum corps that could form a local circuit. The targeted age range would be 12-16, and might be a Class B as opposed to Open. I would want it to be in addition to, rather than in opposition to school programs. It would be to provide an extra opportunity for kids to take things one step further or, depending on the area, provide musical opportunities schools do not. These would not be "feeder" corps, though if participants wanted to march at the OC or WC level, that would be great. It would be to bring the drum corps experience to a younger age group while also imparting the positives that drum corps provides. As I write this, I do not think it would revive drum corps in the areas where it was once a stronghold (Massachusetts, New Jersey, parts of the the Midwest), but in areas where drum corps shows are filled to capacity with young people, it could take off.

• Like 1

I'd pay for all of the Bluecoats expenses...

I would travel with them and we would always stay in hotels

I would get all the sheet music and play with the drumline on my practice pad

Would that blow all of the $$$???

Yup. Can you imagine how awful the echo would be with G Bugles anyways? I don't really enjoy the sound of G Bugles. They're harsh, have a lot of edge, and have many intonation issues. Not my cup of tea. There have been hornlines in the past that seem to have done wonderfully with them, but they were the top corps. Me, I'd rather the G Bugles stay in the past.

I have read pages and pages of posts on DCP extolling how superhumanly talented today's musicians are throughout World Class versus the Ye Olde Days of Yore, and Open Class is not far behind. I was fortunate to march in a 2V DEG G bugle line (gasp-- heresy!) that garnered an Ott Trophy (double heresy!), and I would submit that today's performers would relish the challenge of "conquering" a G instrument. My son already has two years of Open Class competition under his belt with 6 years of DCI eligibility remaining; he LOVES playing the 1980-vintage 2V G sop I gave him (he started playing on it when he was 11 and takes private lessons) and still marvels how much air he can put through it versus the large bore Yamaha Bb he plays in marching band & DC. While this admittedly is a very small sample size of just one, the underlying desire and challenge-- in his eyes, "playing something so radically different"-- could very well exist in a larger context and to this I would say, "Let the kids try it and decide."

I might host 1 DCI show a year where I would pay the top corps to perform. I would probably start a corps for 12 - 16 year olds. With the emphasis on teaching them to read music and learning to perform. I would keep them local. I think throwing a lot of money at a Corps would just make the other corps have to raise more money to stay competitive and ultimately make it harder for people in the corps that I did not support.

• Like 1

I'd give 5 mill to George Hopkins to take his black uniforms to INT.