Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

I'd just like to point out that at this time last year, everyone was pretty sure Crown was slotted for a 5th place finish (including you I think). And Cadets were a lock for the medals. Almost a DCP consensus.

Unless you're keeping the time machine a secret, no ones really knows how these shows will develop over the course of the season. I think it's pretty unlikely Bluecoats will fall to 5th. But with not even a regional under our belts, I don't think anything's a lock. There are too many really good corps out there.

Personally I think what makes the difference is:

(a) how well (and how quickly) can the corps respond to the tape commentary

(b) how detailed a timeline did the corps develop in the pre-season to plan the development of the show

I think you can actually see those two items in play as the show evolves. Some corps are throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. Some corps seem to release things on their schedule. Some corps know how to get sparkling feet. Some corps are just frantically trying to adjust. Some corps seem to just do their thing and the hell with everyone else.

Regarding point (b) ... They have had a timeline planned from the beginning. Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Just a heads up for 'Coats fans in central Ohio (and beyond)...please put Wednesday, August 3, on your calendar. The corps is going to do an open rehearsal and complete run of the show that night at Newark High School's White Field. This will be similar to the open ensemble rehearsal that was held the last night of Spring Training at Denison...which was attended by a few hundred.

This is being done in conjunction with the NHS band/boosters. There will be no admission, but donations will be appreciated and split between the corps and the band. Concessions will be available and the Bluecoats souvie stand will be set up.

This is just a couple of days before the corps heads to Allentown!!! (You know what that could mean.)

Further details will be posted in the coming days.

• Like 2

This is at least the third year in row you’ve been quick to claim Star 93 for Bluecoats, your loyalty and hype is impressive but all shows and corps have things to work on at this time of the season (as shown in the video) - I'm sure everyone will get much better still

In the particular post you reference I'm comparing Star 93 to Bluecoats for a different reason. Go listen to all the repetitive lines in that music. The person I was responding to was claiming that 'Coats book was too repetitive. So that's the reference.

I'd just like to point out that at this time last year, everyone was pretty sure Crown was slotted for a 5th place finish (including you I think). And Cadets were a lock for the medals. Almost a DCP consensus.

Unless you're keeping the time machine a secret, no ones really knows how these shows will develop over the course of the season. I think it's pretty unlikely Bluecoats will fall to 5th. But with not even a regional under our belts, I don't think anything's a lock. There are too many really good corps out there.

I don't disagree with this, and I think most people are going to have opinions about placement, about who medals. So what. Nothing wrong with that providing you're not insulting the corps and just going off show structure, score, content, demand, etc. A few posts back I was refuting someone's claim that Bloo was too repetitive, growing stale, designed for indoors, and all the rest. I didn't call that kid any names did I? I made my point. I think I'm right, but time will tell. As you mention, Crown proved me wrong last year and I was quick to salute them and their re-design of that closer which needed major work. Read my comments about Crown this year.

I agree with your post. However - I just want to remind you that when I (for example) said that about Crown last year it was in reference to the show on the field at the time. Everyone remembers the closer change and addition of the banner at the end - however it was really (IMO) some very wise and timely changes in early July/mid-July to Crown's 2015 opener and second tune that really changed the equation. It fixed the show "arc" and added the tempo and dynamic diversity that was missing early on. And then the closer and BOOM. If I was guilty of anything it was underestimating the smart changes they would make. The year prior (Crown 2014) they failed to make several obvious changes that were needed, so it called that decision making into question I guess. Learned my lesson on that one.

Totally agree that right now it's hard to define "pecking order" as corps are putting small and large changes into their program - that why the "Lock for a Medal" discussion going on elsewhere is premature

Bloo could go undefeated all year. They could finish fifth (unlikely, but possible). With at least 4 or 5 corps with caption strength it's hard to tell.

As far as Cadets 2015 - they didn't change the things they needed to. Less "TEN" would have added up to a lot more. Instead they kept adding and it ended up a lot less. I think that's what they call "new math" lol. Cadets this year - like Crown last year - are making better changes (so far) but the verdict is still out

Crown 2016 is in a great position, the wonderful show "arc" is there. They can add and refine small things, add to the back end of the show and clean clean clean. A real advantage.

Boston 2016 is also in a great position, but I agree with others, content additions/changes will be necessary. The sliding gets a little old as you watch the show. You're like mentally ready for the next "big thing" -- I'm thinking they have that set up for the end of the show with the 2 lines of brass already "aiming" at the slide - but time will tell!

I don't disagree with this, and I think most people are going to have opinions about placement, about who medals. So what. Nothing wrong with that providing you're not insulting the corps and just going off show structure, score, content, demand, etc. A few posts back I was refuting someone's claim that Bloo was too repetitive, growing stale, designed for indoors, and all the rest. I didn't call that kid any names did I? I made my point. I think I'm right, but time will tell. As you mention, Crown proved me wrong last year and I was quick to salute them and their re-design of that closer which needed major work. Read my comments about Crown this year.

That's fine. The only reason I commented on your post was that unlike most "honking" here (with things like " I hope" "I predict" ect.) your post struck me as a opinion cloaked in the guise of fact. I thought it worthwhile to point out that predictions are just predictions and that last year turned out a little differently than many "expert" prognosticators predicted. No harm done and good luck to your team. As I said -- I don't think Bloo will be falling out the medals this season. The show's GE is tenacious -- grabs and doesn't let go!

• Like 1

A look into the design process of the Bluecoats new uniform with Stanbury Designer, Greg Lagola and Bluecoats Director, David Glasgow

https://youtu.be/3OdJQEPIxHA

www.stanbury.com - For more info and to find the rep in your state.
Like us on FB at - https://www.facebook.com/StanburyUniforms/?fref=ts

That's fine. The only reason I commented on your post was that unlike most "honking" here (with things like " I hope" "I predict" ect.) your post struck me as a opinion cloaked in the guise of fact. I thought it worthwhile to point out that predictions are just predictions and that last year turned out a little differently than many "expert" prognosticators predicted. No harm done and good luck to your team. As I said -- I don't think Bloo will be falling out the medals this season. The show's GE is tenacious -- grabs and doesn't let go!

You're absolutely right. I was way more emphatic about their design and what I think their placement will be, even arrogantly so. Not normally my nature on this board. I think it's just how I responded to a somewhat negative post that seemed to be reaching. Doesn't make me look good, and I tried my best to be practical, but I know I came off arrogant and matter-of-fact. It happens once in a while. I'll have a beer tonight and finish some drill for a band program and the world will be right again -- except in Dallas that is. Sheesh. :(