Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

Their tshirt design actually explains it better than that whole official Bluecoats explanation thing does.

I feel like I've been enlightened

Right there with you. I bet I looked like a complete idiot when I realized the line connecting the words shows the ramp.

So I really love this show musically, probably my 3rd favorite of the season. But I really haven't understood the show concept and how they connect visually. When I saw the title downside up in the pre-season, I imagined that they would be doing similar things to what was seen in Cavies 2011. However, instead what we got were some very well sized and colored slides that add a nice pop to the field, but I'm left scratching my head at their purpose. I've seen a lot of sliding down, I've seen some going back and forth between slides (similar to Cadets' ballad last year), but I am yet to see anything that suggests "Downside Up."

Can someone explain this to me? Because currently I feel like everyone is geting it and I'm simply too stupid to understand it

I'll try... IMO, "Downside Up" (or Diwn Side Up) is a brief catchy phrase (all theme titles seem to be limited to 1 or 2 words only these days) that is intended to have both a literal and metaphoric meaning. First, it is a reference meant to draw attention to the Z axis of the visual production which is at the core of the design. Things don't just go front and back, but up and down. They are also using the same surround sound design that was integral to Kinetic Noise - so the sound is coming from up and down the field (side to side too - besides the split trombone octet, the pit is spread wide across the front and have many stereo splits and panning effects).

There are several other things that are literally downside up (or upside down) throughout such as handstands, bending over backwards, brass playing to the back stands from backfield, pitch bending, the reverse section where the descending brass runs reverse into an ascending backwards run and much more.

I think there is an intended metaphoric interpretation of the theme as well. My interpretation is that Down Side Up implies a brightness, lightness and uplift (reinforced by bright outfits and a "hot" book music book filled with lots of high notes) and experiential states like joy, passion, love, feeling "high" (metaphorically), suspension, maybe a bit if vertigo as things swirl around in the finale, and of course, they intend to get the crowds downsides up out of their seat as often as possible with a crowd pleaser! I think it's brilliant in it's seemingly breezy simplicity yet with so many layers of of depth and sophistication for those interested in looking for them.

Edited by 3PoC
  • Like 8

I'll try... IMO, "Downside Up" (or Diwn Side Up) is a brief catchy phrase (all theme titles seem to be limited to 1 or 2 words only these days) that is intended to have both a literal and metaphoric meaning. First, it is a reference meant to draw attention to the Z axis of the visual production which is at the core of the design. Things don't just go front and back, but up and down. They are also using the same surround sound design that was integral to Kinetic Noise - so the sound is coming from up and down the field (side to side too - besides the split trombone octet, the pit is spread wide across the front and have many stereo splits and panning effects).

There are several other things that are literally downside up (or upside down) throughout such as handstands, bending over backwards, brass playing to the back stands from backfield, pitch bending, the reverse section where the descending brass runs reverse into an ascending backwards run and much more.

I think there is an intended metaphoric interpretation of the theme as well. My interpretation is that Down Side Up implies a brightness, lightness and uplift (reinforced by bright outfits and a "hot" book music book filled with lots of high notes) and experiential states like joy, passion, love, feeling "high" (metaphorically), suspension, maybe a bit if vertigo as things swirl around in the finale, and of course, they intend to get the crowds downsides up out of their seat as often as possible with a crowd pleaser! I think it's brilliant in it's seemingly breezy simplicity yet with so many layers of of depth and sophistication for those interested in looking for them.

Thank you! I FINALLY get it! Someone took the time to explain it instead of posting what has already been posted. Much appreciated!

• Like 3

I don't remember a single drum corps show I've ever seen where the theme overshadowed the show itself. I didn't watch "1930" trying to figure out what each different combination of people sitting on chairs represented.

So BC called their production "Down Side Up" this year. That means nothing and I think that was intentional. There's no story to follow, just some cool music with fast drill, tight guard work and people occasionally going up and down slides.

Maybe for the more literal-minded, we can refer to the show as "Down Slide Up".

I was trying......he put what I was crappily attempting to say into words.

I was trying! I promise.

Actually, I thought you were doing a pretty good job.

I don't remember a single drum corps show I've ever seen where the theme overshadowed the show itself. I didn't watch "1930" trying to figure out what each different combination of people sitting on chairs represented.

So BC called their production "Down Side Up" this year. That means nothing and I think that was intentional. There's no story to follow, just some cool music with fast drill, tight guard work and people occasionally going up and down slides.

Really? Not a single one? There are plenty of shows where the theme has been very prevalent and important to the show. Inferno, Spartacus, Felliniesque, Angels and Demons, I could go on.

This is an excellent explanation! Other examples illustrating the concept include brass members being tossed into the air, the sudden decelerando going into "Great Gig" and the sudden tempo change coming out of it.

Something that oldbandguy also touched upon is that the show concept for Down Side Up was much more organic that what we are used to from other corps. Instead of deciding on the concept and then superimposing music, drill and staging upon it, the concept of Down Side Up grew out of what was being designed. In other words, the music and visual program were already in their embryonic or even larval stages (or even a later stage) before the concept was named and finalized.

Interestingly enough, as a side note and from what I have been given to understand, there were two other ballads written and considered for the middle part of the show before the design staff landed on "Great Gig" which the staff decided better fit their concept/vision.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1