2015 - Best Top Six Ever?

Best Top Six Ever? 2015?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Best topic six ever?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I don't see how comparing drum corps across, say, DCI's 43-year history is supposed to be any different than comparing movies across cinema's 130-year history.

My goodness, we are comparing movies with movies here... for " the best ever". The better analogy would be asking us to compare the best ever movies with the best ever TV shows. It shouldn't be done, despite the fact both have actors, and we watch a screen. The fact that TV's came in after the movies and is a different idiom altogether means we don't lump the two ( movies, TV ) in together when deciding which was the 6 " best ever " on a screen that we watch.

Edited by BRASSO

Are you asking quality of shows or excitement of competition?

If you look at the intensity of the competition, this year's top 4 were amazing, I would not put SCV and Blue Knights in the category of best 5th and 6th place corps. We did not see the best BD show this year, and it could be argued we did not see the best 2nd place show ever with Crown. Yes they were top notch and the season was exciting, but exciting competition does not mean best ever.

I don't say this with any disrespect to the corps. You gave us perhaps the most exciting season ever, and one that was unpredictable. I stayed up past my bedtime on more than one occasion waiting for scores.

• Like 1

My goodness, we are comparing movies with movies here . . . for " the best ever". The better analogy would be asking us to compare the best-ever movies with the best-ever TV shows. It shouldn't be done, despite the fact both have actors, and we watch a screen. The fact that TV's came in after the movies and is a different idiom altogether means we don't lump the two (movies, TV) in together when deciding which was the six "best ever" on a screen that we watch.

So movies without sound are more like movies with sound than 1972 and 2014 drum corps are like each other? That's an interesting opinion. Lots of film experts in the 1930s-40s, after the silent film was gone but well remembered, held that the two things were completely different art forms: the silent cinema was poetic while the "talkies" were lowbrow, mundane, pedestrian fare. "Give us back our beauty" is an actual quote from a history of silent film, regretful of the lost past.

The Jazz Singer came along in 1927, some 88 years ago. It's quite possible, that 88 years from now, someone stumbling across your comments here will shake her head in disbelief that you could think there was any real difference between the 1972 Blue Stars and the 2015 Bluecoats.

Of course, the reader of 2103 may agree with every word you write. In which case, I hope you live to see that day!

A better analogy to the silent versus sound movies might be silent drill platoon versus drum corps.

By the way, movies and television are frequently treated as two sides of the same coin (though not genrally by Sight & Sound). For instance, in New York there is the Museum of the Moving Image. And not only are movies viewed frequently on television, but lots of works made for television have also been shown in theaters.

Best Top 6 goes to 2013

1. Crown

2. BD

3. Cadets

4. SCV

5. Bluecoats

6. Phantom Regiment

Now, if you're talking best top FOUR, I would give the nod to this year. We had 4 Championship shows this year. Any one of the top 4 would be a gold medal contender any year in the history of drum corps - no doubt. But, as the OP questions, if you go to the top 6, the 2013 group would be overall superior - no disrepect to Blue Knights this year. But, I would take Phantom's "Triumphant Journey" over BK for the 6 spot, and I would take Bluecoats "To Look For America" at the 5 spot over SCV this year.

Best Top 6 goes to 2013

1. Crown

2. BD

3. Cadets

4. SCV

5. Bluecoats

6. Phantom Regiment

Now, if you're talking best top FOUR, I would give the nod to this year. We had 4 Championship shows this year. Any one of the top 4 would be a gold medal contender any year in the history of drum corps - no doubt. But, as the OP questions, if you go to the top 6, the 2013 group would be overall superior - no disrepect to Blue Knights this year. But, I would take Phantom's "Triumphant Journey" over BK for the 6 spot, and I would take Bluecoats "To Look For America" at the 5 spot over SCV this year.

Phantom 2013 in the best top 6 ever? Please no. I love Phantom, but that show was not top 6 caliber. Atleast not compared to Cavies last year and BK this year.

While it is hard to really say "ever", my vote was yes with the criteria I put on it since following DCI closely since 1980,

Most entertaining top 6 ever for me

Most creative top 6 ever for me

Most DIVERSE top 6 ever for me

My favorite show may be the sixth place one

• Like 3

Just stumbled across an interesting quote from a 1920 essay by the great poet and literary critic, T.S. Eliot (perhaps best known to many people today because one of his minor works was the source of for the very popular stage musical, Cats). Discussing the responsibilities of the poet (and by extension, all artists), Eliot wrote:

"He must be quite aware of the obvious fact that art never improves, but that the material of art is never quite the same."

2000 and 2001 come real close in this discussion. 2001 was a great year.

Cavs won with Four Corners

Cadets (Juxtaperformance) and BD (Awayday Blue) tied for silver

SCV got 4th with New Era Metropolis and (I assume) a bronze medal

Glassmen had their best show ever with IMAGO

Phantom in 6th though with Virtuoso...never have seen it...not sure about it. That could be the deciding factor in a best Top 6...but I'd say best Top 5 ever for sure.