2016 Programs and Playlist:

Probably.

I don't see why they can't do any music they want, and do it all for free, and just have the money they do get classified as "donations".

It would be great if Corps could arrange & perform any piece of music for free... like they did back in the old days.

Back in the day my Corps played stuff like Carmina Burana (Orf), Yesterday (Beatles) etc... how much would it cost to get those tunes on the Blu-Ray these days???

Sadly we live in a different world where everyone wants a piece of the pie including whoever owns the rights to a piece of music.

It would be great if Corps could arrange & perform any piece of music for free... like they did back in the old days.

Back in the day my Corps played stuff like Carmina Burana (Orf), Yesterday (Beatles) etc... how much would it cost to get those tunes on the Blu-Ray these days???

Sadly we live in a different world where everyone wants a piece of the pie including whoever owns the rights to a piece of music.

It would be great, but unfortunately will NEVER happen. Corps did it back in the day because there was no internet, no streaming, and not a lot of ways to look into these things, as they weren't as public and worldwide as they are now.

At the same time, those people that write, produce, etc. the music should not be made to feel bad or criticized for wanting to protect their property.

• Like 1

Rumor has it that bluecoats won't announce until June 23rd

I understand creators should be paid for use of their work - but in the case of non profit orgs especially for youth education, it shouldn't be so complicated. Do high school wond ensembles have to get permission to perform a piece of music specifically written for schools? Or does purchasing it from say JW Pepper already include that, if performing for donations or even a paid gig? Or is it that public schools have immunity from that and drum corps dont?

I understand creators should be paid for use of their work - but in the case of non profit orgs especially for youth education, it shouldn't be so complicated. Do high school wond ensembles have to get permission to perform a piece of music specifically written for schools? Or does purchasing it from say JW Pepper already include that, if performing for donations or even a paid gig? Or is it that public schools have immunity from that and drum corps dont?

One big difference - in a lot of cases back in the day, drum corps would arrange and perform any piece of music they wanted to and pay no one for it. That is not the case when a high school wind ensemble purchases a piece for the band to play. There are the occasions when the band director from one school "borrows" a piece of music from another band director friend of theirs at another school, but that's a whole separate can of worms.

Just because an organization is a non-profit doesn't give it a license to take whatever it wants from others without paying for it. Where would the line be drawn - should a non-profit be able to run its business in a facility rent free, or not have to pay for utilities in that facility, or not have to pay salaries (as small as they may be) to their employees, etc., etc., etc.?

Yes, purchasing a band composition includes performance rights. If you record it, however, you still have to pay to secure the appropriate rights.

Edited by Kamarag

Rumor has it that bluecoats won't announce until June 23rd

Here's my thoughts on if that's true.

First of all, I might wanna know what a corps is doing but if they wanna hold it back and surprise us they can do what the hell they want. I'm sick of people saying that corps need to do this this this and be completely open and blah blah. Not directed at anyone on this topic, just the general sentiment.

There are two sides to that coin. One is that it's pretty cool to watch a show develop, change, and grow all the way from winter camps to finals ala Cadets. I think it's really cool and admirable. HOWEVER, the other is I got really sick of their show for a few weeks in early July because I felt like I had been watching it for 6 months...........because I had. There were no surprises, no huge wows at the first show because we knew what was coming.

If a corps doesn't announce, yeah it kinda sucks not being able to listen to and get familiar with the music and get an idea of how things are going, how they are doing. The upside at least for me is that when you see the first show without any preconceived knowledge and insight, everything is new all at once and when it's good it amplifies it times 10,000. That happened with Bluecoats in the theatre in 2015 and I'll tell you what, that was the most fun I've ever had seeing a show for this first time ever because I had no idea what to look for and there was so much going on I was overloaded in the best way possible. I was able to dig through and find new things as late as San Antonio, and then they changed some things and I kept feeling like I was seeing a new show in late July. I was engaged the whole summer.

I'm not saying one show was better than they other, just two extremes of exposure, and to be honest while I LOVE getting my off season fix, in the end I kinda prefer the latter just because it's so exciting to get it all at once.

So if you're not kidding and they do wait THAT late to announce:

1) I think they have something in store that they want to be a big surprise.

2) It better be worth it.

3) I'm going to be biting my nails til that day to find out what the heck is going to happen.

I'm of the complete opposite disposition - we're already looking at an activity that can't show you video, let you listen to audio and deliberately won't tell you what they're playing. Then everyone wonders why, despite booming audition numbers, attendance and revenue stays so flat.

Mike

I'm of the complete opposite disposition - we're already looking at an activity that can't show you video, won't let you listen to audio and deliberately doesn't tell you what they're playing. Then everyone wonders why, despite booming audition numbers, attendance and revenue stays so flat.

Mike