DCI Audio/Video

It's time for corps to explore shows featuring either public domain works OR finding creative ways to incorporate fair use. I'd love to see a corps come up with a show concept based on fair use, LOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJn_jC4FNDo

But the real questions is do corps really care? It seems to me, they care about their Final score of the season, and if they think a specific piece, sample, etc. will help them score better I honestly think they couldn't care less about syncing rights after-the-fact. If the industry has gotten so expensive DCI and other non-profit arts groups have been priced-out, then there's not much anyone can do about it. I honestly don't know what DVD revenue or FN revenue are/were but if their profit margin doesn't match legal rights appropriation then they can't pursue that.

Oddly enough, in this regard it seems like DCI has gone back to what some old-timers wanted, going back to the way things used to be: no digital archive, the activity being live performance-driven, etc

Oddly enough, in this regard it seems like DCI has gone back to what some old-timers wanted, going back to the way things used to be: no digital archive, the activity being live performance-driven, etc

It will be hard, if not impossible, to grow drum corps in this context.

• Like 5

It's time for corps to explore shows featuring either public domain works OR finding creative ways to incorporate fair use. I'd love to see a corps come up with a show concept based on fair use, LOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJn_jC4FNDo

I'll wait for the set that spells out MPAA then marvel at all the people who didn't notice it until Allentown and therefore missed the subtext of the theme.

• Like 1

To me,the issue is what does DCI consider the driving force to offer the shows digitally (DVD,CD).

If they wish to use them strictly as a means to bolster the activity,then demonstrate to the "powers that be" that they are being sold "at cost".

If, however ,DCI uses them as a revenue source,I can see why they would be subject to the same fees as anyone else.

To me,the issue is what does DCI consider the driving force to offer the shows digitally (DVD,CD).

If they wish to use them strictly as a means to bolster the activity,then demonstrate to the "powers that be" that they are being sold "at cost".

If, however ,DCI uses them as a revenue source,I can see why they would be subject to the same fees as anyone else.

My understanding is it doesn't matter if a profit is being made or not for at least some of the rights.

My understanding is it doesn't matter if a profit is being made or not for at least some of the rights.

You are correct.

I would think that many corps administrations would appreciate not having to go through the hassle and expense in terms of obtaining publishing/arrangement copyright clearance. Maybe not?

Does anyone know why the DCI website is not available. Been trying the last two days with no luck.