Cadets 2016

Tobias

They need a new drill writer. I was optimistic, now I'm sad. Guess I'll get a beer at finals before retreat.

Cadets? Really, I think Darryl has done a great job. What is so bad?

Thanks. I've tried to keep quiet because I wanted to see how it looked in uniform and with show flags and I do believe that people are entitled to an opinion. I was getting frustrated with some of the comments on the guard but tried to take them in stride. I teach a world class guard so I do have some knowledge (lol). I get why everyone is hesitant with the guard, I do. My daughter was in that show and I loved it but I knew. The kids were great but the design not so much. But this year it's different. My daughter tells me all the time it's "special" and the kids are loving performing it!! You have to try to look past the dirt and look at the intent. Will it be effective? Will is generate moments WHEN it's clean? That is what matters. The dirty will disappear day by day. The key, IMO, to this show is going to be the characterization and performance of the members, especially the guard. They will need to bring it to life, and I have absolutely no doubt they will. Kristy is BRILLIANT when it comes to that. Believe me, I have competed against her for years.......

Thank you and agreed 100%.
  • Like 1

Cadets? Really, I think Darryl has done a great job. What is so bad?

Lord don't encourage them.

Bizarre. Good word.

Was there in the stands tonight. OMG. I have such mixed emotions.

Sloppy as crap. I'm sorry George, I lost count of cracks, pops, blown attacks, missed notes, sloppy drums, sloppy mello runs, weak trombones and low brass... Good points: french horns, though sloppy, were a great touch - better than the bones, IMO, especially bringing them down front onto the stage.

It's an amazing, and amazingly bizarre, show. The statue-dude will score well with Marie, I guess. Is he a statue come to life? Or a human turning back into a statue? Hard to tell. And I didn't get all the emotions that Hop described the guard would go through.

Drums on the cake-zilla were cool. Soloist on the cupcake-zilla was cool. Drums - down to 3 basses. Well THAT didn't work.

I know it's June, and I said to my guests that it will be sparkly by August (I hope.)

I think I'm more in love with the music than the show design.

Crowd was good and receptive. And pretty sizable. Great to see.

I bought a Stoned hat and t-shirt just because.

No rain. Beautiful, cool night actually. Will enjoy them more in the Can on Thursday having seen it already.

Don't hate me - I'm a honk. It was definitely worth the 90 minute drive to see live.

Wasn't there in person so will take your word on just how sloppy it was. I thought there were some great moments, yeah its dirty, but the season hasn't even started. This is how the Cadets used to be in their glory days. Start slow and evolve into champions. I have missed that aspect of the corps in the last 5-10 years, glad to see it back. The problem is that DCI judges may not appreciate this approach anymore. There don't seem to be anywhere near the changes there used to be during the season.

Just watched a video of their performance in Ohio. I'm shocked. They sound like a top tier corps but look like a 6th - 8th place corps. Save a few cool moves this is a poor drill design, guard is a mess, stage doesn't make any sense or add anything to the show. I love the music (although Star did Pines WAY better). If there's a hole for someone to break into the top 5 this year, it's through The Cadets. Disappointed.

Hopkins said in the pre-show that "of course we're filthy dirty". Anyone remember the days when Cadets didn't even have the full show on the field the first two weeks? Seems like they're taking a new approach this year (Hop even talked about it during a livestream) of getting it all on the field dirty, then cleaning, instead of "clean as you go".

Edited by packetslave

Hopkins said in the pre-show that "of course we're filthy dirty". Anyone remember the days when Cadets didn't even have the full show on the field the first two weeks? Seems like they're taking a new approach this year (Hop even talked about it during a livestream) of getting it all on the field dirty, then cleaning, instead of "clean as you go".

Yes he did say that. Kind of spending more time looking at show and changing/adding but would go back later to clean it. Compared to how they came out in 2014 and 2015, they're certainly a mess but I guess they feel those shows peaked early so doing things differently

Bizarre. Good word.

Was there in the stands tonight. OMG. I have such mixed emotions.

Sloppy as crap. I'm sorry George, I lost count of cracks, pops, blown attacks, missed notes, sloppy drums, sloppy mello runs, weak trombones and low brass... Good points: french horns, though sloppy, were a great touch - better than the bones, IMO, especially bringing them down front onto the stage.

It's an amazing, and amazingly bizarre, show. The statue-dude will score well with Marie, I guess. Is he a statue come to life? Or a human turning back into a statue? Hard to tell. And I didn't get all the emotions that Hop described the guard would go through.

Drums on the cake-zilla were cool. Soloist on the cupcake-zilla was cool. Drums - down to 3 basses. Well THAT didn't work.

I know it's June, and I said to my guests that it will be sparkly by August (I hope.)

I think I'm more in love with the music than the show design.

Crowd was good and receptive. And pretty sizable. Great to see.

I bought a Stoned hat and t-shirt just because.

No rain. Beautiful, cool night actually. Will enjoy them more in the Can on Thursday having seen it already.

Don't hate me - I'm a honk. It was definitely worth the 90 minute drive to see live.

garfield,

Re your comment about the statue-dude scoring well with Marie, if by Marie you mean Marie Czapinski it should be noted that Marie accepted a role with Phantom Regiment in December, 2015 as a consultant to the Regiment's new Visual team of Tony Hall, Dwight Emmert and Will Schultz (the new Visual Caption Head.

I presumed at the time that meant that Marie C. would not be judging DCI contests in 2016.

In any event, it is the DCI judging community's loss and the Phantom Regiment's gain in a caption with which the Regiment has recently struggled.

As a Regiment alumni (1956-1960), I certainly hope so.

• Like 1

Just watched a video of their performance in Ohio. I'm shocked. They sound like a top tier corps but look like a 6th - 8th place corps. Save a few cool moves this is a poor drill design, guard is a mess, stage doesn't make any sense or add anything to the show. I love the music (although Star did Pines WAY better). If there's a hole for someone to break into the top 5 this year, it's through The Cadets. Disappointed.

Look, I realize it's the Internet and "everyone gets to have an opinion" but seriously, there is little to zero chance cadets won't be in the top five. Baring an illness or some other catastrophic event. I hope you will return in August when it is time to eat crow... but I highly doubt it.

• Like 1