Cadets 2016

Tobias

With 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, the design team burned through their goodwill with me when it comes to the assumption that they will put together a program that competes. I don't really care about the placements whatsoever. I loved last year's show SO MUCH, but I've just accepted that the new normal over there is a show that doesn't check all the boxes competitively. Just my opinion!

Yea, well I guess I'm just a hopeless optimist that they can renew the 2011 magic! I didn't like last year at all until I got the BluRays and was able to watch all that was happening and actually comprehend all the references to '10', and I now see that it was just too much. Now I can't stop watching it, it's just so packed with tasty bits!

• Like 1

Well they did bring in a new drill guy, new visual folks, a new guard caption head and designer... so maybe the visual side of things will be different?

• Like 1

With 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, the design team burned through their goodwill with me when it comes to the assumption that they will put together a program that competes. I don't really care about the placements whatsoever. I loved last year's show SO MUCH, but I've just accepted that the new normal over there is a show that doesn't check all the boxes competitively. Just my opinion!

Sam,

The Debbie-downer stance may work well as a lawyer nitpicking over real estate contracts, but you, particularly as a Cadet podium alum, have to offer more.

From the gaps on the field in the PoR first drill reveal posted and from the animation drill GH posted from the webinar, I am surmising that those gaps are where some of the props are resident.

That being said, some of the flow around them will need to be re-written as my eye was drawn to the syncopatic movement counter the flow of the rest of the ensemble, particularly where the mellos and high brass move as squads of two to join the baris/euphs/trombones already upfront. Movement on the whole is less flowing than Zingali or Sacktig''s approaches or decades of experience. This dotbook reveals a different emphasis which is more brass triumphalism/impact, engaging the bass part of the audience's auditory senses, and puling everyone in the same way the Fanfares of the 1060's used to announce the corps and engage the viewer. It's an old style which today is new as this generation hasn't experienced it previously. Think herald trumpets except with much bigger bores and power.

Whether the CG members on the front runway will be poised statues, fantasic flags, or sizzling sabres/sabers will also take a variety of approaches over the full season. As the British detective series routinely say, "Early days..."

It's a 1st place corps, just like last year, but corps don't win titles anymore.

We agree. I thought The Cadets ( for example ) had their best combined talent in both Brass and Drums last season in their history. thats right in their HISTORY. Thats how good they sounded in both Brass and Drums to me last season. They were outstanding. But in their perennial pecking order, other corps were stronger a bit in the areas that really matter now on the newly revised scoring sheets from a couple of years ago, and the adults in these other Corps around them gave their Corps a bit more that was needed in the areas that matter.... especially the last 2 weeks of last season. Thus, The Cadets fell out of medaling last season primarily due to that, imo.. However , that was last season, and this season, even if Cadets are not as performer talented in Brass and Drum talent compared to last season, the Cadets still could move up in placements if these non Drums & non Bugles ( Brass ) performance areas in their Corps are improved upon over last season. I'm hearing they HAVE addressed and improved upon these areas ( from Cadet honks however ), so really only time will tell us if The Cadets have what it takes in these critical areas they need to improve upon to position themselves to get back to medaling again.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

The Debbie-downer stance may work well as a lawyer nitpicking over real estate contracts, but you, particularly as a Cadet podium alum, have to offer more.

Why? I don't care what place the corps or any other corps gets. It's literally kids marching in formation while playing music. I loved last year's show and 2013. There is a difference between "show that I enjoy" and "show that the judging community accepts as championship-worthy," and that's OK.

And I don't do real estate deals.

• Like 1

Why? I don't care what place the corps or any other corps gets. It's literally kids marching in formation while playing music. I loved last year's show and 2013. There is a difference between "show that I enjoy" and "show that the judging community accepts as championship-worthy," and that's OK.

But that skill set would be so helpful here for lot assessment and field coverage. :-)

You've been saying and demonstrating this for years and I just am not able to comprehend your viewpoint. While I enjoy almost every corps almost every year and, from that viewpoint, placement is not part of my enjoyment, I still care about placement and, frankly, I can't tell you why. I'm not at all a competitive person in this realm, but the slotting if fun to see even as I think DCI mis-markets the activity as a competition instead of pure entertainment.

Isn't that odd?

It's a 1st place corps, just like last year, but corps don't win titles anymore.

Have to agree with this.

If there's an area of inconsistency with The Cadets over the past decade, it falls to their design. When they hit it, it's out of the park and they take home a ring. When they don't, we get 20 yard paint-by-number portraits and Christmas present slides on the field.

Provided they can stay away from some of the more sophomoric, literal, and obvious design elements with this show, they should remain competitive. But when you are going up against corps like the Blue Devils who consistently fire on all cylinders from a brass, percussing, guard, AND design standpoint, you cannot miss a single step.

• Like 3