Cadets 2016

Tobias

Agreed, but I think what he's saying is that the work and time that goes into perfecting a drum corps show is on a whole other level than a marching band show. I mean, marching bands don't practice 8-12 hours a day perfecting a 10 minute show. That's why it's minimizing to us in drum corps to be called a marching band. I have seen a lot of marching band shows I like (and obviously a ton of work goes into the design of these shows these days), but to me they just can't compare to drum corps. The amount of practice the top corps put in takes their programs to a whole different level than marching band shows. Doesn't mean marching bands are bad, or don't have the same level of talent - we all know what it takes to play and move. They are just different activities.

Oh, of course (many) drum corps performances are on an entirely different level than most high school or college marching bands. That's why we like it, right? And obviously there are many other differences between school bands and top drum corps aside from rehearsal time. I disagree that they are different activities, though. An Olympic marathoner and a 10-minute miler are both runners. People who march (or dance or spin, etc.) with others on a football field playing an instrument are part of a band. If you want to call a particular band a "drum corps" instead, feel free. But it's still a band.

I just think it's funny that some people get offended over issues of nomenclature. Especially when they call someone else out as "high and mighty".

Oh, of course (many) drum corps performances are on an entirely different level than most high school or college marching bands. That's why we like it, right? And obviously there are many other differences between school bands and top drum corps aside from rehearsal time. I disagree that they are different activities, though. An Olympic marathoner and a 10-minute miler are both runners. People who march (or dance or spin, etc.) with others on a football field playing an instrument are part of a band. If you want to call a particular band a "drum corps" instead, feel free. But it's still a band.

I just think it's funny that some people get offended over issues of nomenclature. Especially when they call someone else out as "high and mighty".

Fair enough. I don't get offended. When describing the activity to those who don't know what drum corps is I said, "It's like a marching band, but with no woodwinds." I won't be able to say that for long, probably, LOL.

• Like 1

How about: DCI=Marching Band on steroids

• Like 3

Except that I didn't "rehash" anything.

Actually nevermind, if you want an explanation, just PM me.

Edited by Cappybara

How about: DCI=Marching Band on steroids

That's how I always describe it when I talk to my non-band friends about it! It's the best way to tell them about it without putting them to sleep! :tounge2:

Actually nevermind, if you want an explanation, just PM me.

I don't, but thanks for the offer (seriously - not sarcasm). It's not a big deal.

Anyway, how 'bout them Cadets?!?

(That is what this thread is supposed to be about, right? I know I got off topic a bit... my apologies.)

Edited by Yossarian Sam

So...

Gap between Cadets and Crown tomorrow night? Any guess on the over or under? I'd also include Bluecoats but we've seen nothing...

Any predictions?