The Cavaliers' Recent Fall in the Standings

I aged out with the Cavaliers last year. The brass staff were consistently telling us that we were miles better than previous years. I can't understand how that horn line got 10th place with such a difficult brass book in an extremely physical show. I thought we played it very well considering its difficulty and the recordings agree with me.

Obviously I'm biased, but it just doesn't make sense to me. In Chester, PA, the night before Allentown, we beat Phantom with 20 holes. Then the following night in Allentown with the full corps on the field and with what many of us (and our staff) considered our best show to date, our brass score dropped .8(!!) and Phantom beat us by 2 points. That's a crazy variation. And after that huge drop, our scores never recovered.

I understand that our show design was a major issue. It was difficulty without effectiveness. But our brass book blew Phantom's and Madison's away. And BK's for that matter. I don't understand how their "content" scores could possibly have been higher than ours.

I still have high hopes for 2016. Koter is gone, McGrath is VERY good (and Michael Gaines writes for his high school hint hint), Saucedo and others from the "glory days" are returning...it looks very promising.

And when did this thread become a BD thread?

You answered your own statement about difficulty/content scores. Iirc, the sheets are setup so that design and content are intertwined.

As for beating corps one day and not the next...the "Any Given Sunday" construct works here. Plus, adding more players in an ensemble increases the probability of error.

Edited by phd-student-TTU

Winner receives a trip to Niagara Falls.

My Kind of Town.

Bottom line.... Cavaliers will get back to medaling only until such time as they are 1st and or 2nd with the Blue Devils in Guard. Otherwise, Cavs will be in the 5th-8th spot most years in the coming future, imo. Madison Scouts, another All Male Corps, havn't won a DCI Title now in 27 years... long before any of todays's MM's ( and young staffers ) were even born.. When the Madison Scouts were on top ( 1988 ) they won Guard. Their Guards arn't anything close to what they used to be anymore, however. Can either of these 2 All Male Corps medal ( or win ) in the coming years by excluding women, particularly in the all important Guard section of their Corps ? I highly doubt it. But thats just my opinion here too, of course. Themes these days are driven home principally by the Guards. More so than even a decade or so ago. The newly revised GE Captions are skewed more now to Show Design now than ever before. Both Madison and Cavs show of late both had moments in the show where a female was more required in the role depicted in the show. For just one example of this, we probably all recall Madison's All Male Guard last season dancing with Female cardboard cutouts, right ?. That particular part of the show would have been far better served with Females incorporated there, imo... real Females.. real Co-Ed dancing there in that segment of the show. Can Cavs ( or Madison ) ever get back to their former glory days of 10-30 years ago, by excluding Women in their ranks ? Particularly in the all important Guard sections ? I don't believe so. The 1980's, and even as much as just decade or so back, is a far different society than today. Drum Corps reflects the changes in society. It always has. Cavs and Scouts can probably easily remain highly entertaining Drum Corps as they have been of late despite both falling out of the Top 5-6. But can they get back to medaling..... beat the Blue Devils, and the other stellar Co- Ed Guards.... by excluding half the available talent available to themselves by virtue of gender alone ? No, I don't believe so. Thus, I don't see Cavs nor Madison winning ( nor even medaling ) again anytime soon under their current exclusionary policies.....especially in the critical Guard sections of their Corps, and under the recently revised scoring sheets. Not in a day and age also when the US just might be positioned to elect its first Women US President and Commander in Chief, an unthinkable thing not that long ago.. Time change. All Drum Corps need to as well..... or be left behind in the competitive arena.

Edited by BRASSO

Bottom line.... Cavaliers will get back to medaling only until such time as they are 1st and or 2nd with the Blue Devils in Guard. Otherwise, Cavs will be in the 5th-8th spot most years in the coming future, imo. Madison Scouts, another All Male Corps, havn't won a DCI Title now in 27 years... long before any of todays's MM's ( and young staffers ) were even born.. When the Madison Scouts were on top ( 1988 ) they won Guard. Their Guards arn't anything close to what they used to be anymore, however. Can either of these 2 All Male Corps medal ( or win ) in the coming years by excluding women, particularly in the all important Guard section of their Corps ? I highly doubt it. But thats just my opinion here too, of course. Themes these days are driven home principally by the Guards. More so than even a decade or so ago. The newly revised GE Captions are skewed more now to Show Design now than ever before. Both Madison and Cavs show of late both had moments in the show where a female was more required in the role depicted in the show. For just one example of this, we probably all recall Madison's All Male Guard last season dancing with Female cardboard cutouts, right ?. That particular part of the show would have been far better served with Females incorporated there, imo... real Females.. real Co-Ed dancing there in that segment of the show. Can Cavs ( or Madison ) ever get back to their former glory days of 10-30 years ago, by excluding Women in their ranks ? Particularly in the all important Guard sections ? I don't believe so. The 1980's, and even as much as just decade or so back, is a far different society than today. Drum Corps reflects the changes in society. It always has. Cavs and Scouts can probably easily remain highly entertaining Drum Corps as they have been of late despite both falling out of the Top 5-6. But can they get back to medaling..... beat the Blue Devils, and the other stellar Co- Ed Guards.... by excluding half the available talent available to themselves by virtue of gender alone ? No, I don't believe so. Thus, I don't see Cavs nor Madison winning ( nor even medaling ) again anytime soon under their current exclusionary policies.....especially in the critical Guard sections of their Corps, and under the recently revised scoring sheets. Not in a day and age also when the US just might be positioned to elect its first Women US President and Commander in Chief, an unthinkable thing not that long ago.. Time change. All Drum Corps need to as well..... or be left behind in the competitive arena.

And yet in the past you have been all for PR all female guards . This is more than ok as a preference because either way Gender has nothing to do with a guard being good or not or any judge being willing to reward an all female guard or an all male guard. Produce the goods and one will be rewarded.

Never, have i ever heard anyone talking about how any corps is excluding a certain gender nor judged in the box or the spectator seats by that criteria. Actually quite the opposite, many loving the difference's .

Edited by GUARDLING

Cavaliers will get back to medaling only until such time as they are 1st and or 2nd with the Blue Devils in Guard. Otherwise, Cavs will be in the 5th-8th spot most years in the coming future, imo. Madison Scouts, another All Male Corps, havn't won a DCI Title now in 27 years... long before any of todays's MM's ( and young staffers ) were even born.. When the Madison Scouts were on top ( 1988 ) they won Guard. Their Guards arn't anything close to what they used to be anymore, however. Can either of these 2 All Male Corps medal ( or win ) in the coming years by excluding women, particularly in the all important Guard section of their Corps ? I highly doubt it. But thats just my opinion here too, of course. Themes these days are driven home principally by the Guards. More so than even a decade or so ago. The newly revised GE Captions are skewed more now to Show Design now than ever before. Both Madison and Cavs show of late both had moments in the show where a female was more required in the role depicted in the show. For just one example of this, we probably all recall Madison's All Male Guard last season dancing with Female cardboard cutouts, right ?. That particular part of the show would have been far better served with Females incorporated there, imo... real Females.. real Co-Ed dancing there in that segment of the show. Can Cavs ( or Madison ) ever get back to their former glory days of 10-30 years ago, by excluding Women in their ranks ? Particularly in the all important Guard sections ? I don't believe so. The 1980's, and even as much as just decade or so back, is a far different society than today. Drum Corps reflects the changes in society. It always has. Cavs and Scouts can probably easily remain highly entertaining Drum Corps as they have been of late despite both falling out of the Top 5-6. But can they get back to medaling..... beat the Blue Devils, and the other stellar Co- Ed Guards.... by excluding half the available talent available to themselves by virtue of gender alone ? No, I don't believe so. Thus, I don't see Cavs nor Madison winning ( nor even medaling ) again anytime soon under their current exclusionary policies.....especially in the critical Guard sections of their Corps, and under the recently revised scoring sheets. Not in a day and age also when the US just might be positioned to elect its first Women US President and Commander in Chief, an unthinkable thing not that long ago.. Time change. All Drum Corps need to as well..... or be left behind in the competitive arena.

Please B, read this over a couple of times and you will see where you've repeated certain thoughts more than once. You haven't been ghost writing homilies for any Catholic priests recently have you? Possibly bullet point type comments might work well.

My Kind of Town.

And So It Goes...

• Like 1

Oddly enough, the Cavaliers were the last corps to win the Zingali before BD's 8-year streak.

You haven't been ghost writing homilies for any Catholic priests recently have you?

I don't know anything about ghosts, nor ghost writing. I'll leave that silliness up to you to be concerned with. ( hows that for " a bullet ' reply ? )

Edited by BRASSO

Oddly enough, the Cavaliers were the last corps to win the Zingali before BD's 8-year streak.

BD used to be known primarily for their great Brass lines in the 70's, 80's. That could win them Titles.Then the late 80's, 90's came in, and the Visuals took over the scoring sheets where increasingly the most points could be had for a Corps. BD temporarily lost out to Cadets, and a Cavaliers Corps in that emerging environment. The Cavs best era was the late 90's,early 2000's where their Visuals were trend setting in the activity. But BD, ever the adaptive Corps, retooled, and began to put together great visuals as their lead card. Today, nobody does visual staging better than BD, and their Guards are usually quite phenomenal now these days. Thus, its no surprise ( to me anyway ) that they are back on top. As for the Cavaliers, they have fallen off the pace of late principally because they lost Michael Gaines, their great Visuals Writer. Also, their Guards talent of late are a shadow of what they used to be. Put these 2 factors together and the Cavs placements since 2006 are easily understandable, imo.

Edited by BRASSO