Would Anyone Like to See.....

a "Throwback Year?"

Corps playing songs from past years

BD playing Channel One Suite

SCV playing Young Persons Guide.....

Colts going back to the Riverboat theme

Cavies playing Russian Christmas Music

and on and on

While I am one who loves to see some "old school" in shows when it fits, and I do not have a problem with corps repeating music in most cases, there are exceptions which is why I'm not sure a throwback year would be the best entertainment for the buck. Some of the Key of G arrangements may not sound the same with current instrumentation, some are so iconic they are best left as memories, also for many of the great moments, it was due to a combination of creative folks, staff, and members who all gelled at once. That can't be recreated. Also can you imagine the arguments involving whether the original or throwback was better? The DCP moderators will all have ulcers.

What I would love to see, perhaps in Indy or maybe at a regional, is a throwback concert. That could be amazing. It might take precious time away from practice, and that is a serious consideration, but that would be fun if it could happen.

I'd rather see an all Public-Domain season........ at least then I could see it more than once

• Like 4

a "Throwback Year?"

and on and on

DEFINITELY not. I much prefer the activity and its member corps push forward and innovate, not recycle played-out ideas. "throwback" type shows rarely competitively work out for the corps, especially relative to original success. With Legacy DVDs and Essential Blu-rays I'm more than happy revisiting the good ol' days through digital media rather than in some rehashed rerun

a "Throwback Year?"

and on and on

No, not really. Especially as an all-encompassing sort of thing.

In DCA, the Cabs did a throwback of the Muchachos 1975 show a few years back....most of the folks I know who saw it thought as I did...it just did not work.

Plus, how far do the corps "throwback"? Cadets to do Maria and French National Defile' from the 60's? I shudder at the thought that they might trot out the awful "Paint Your Wagon" medley we did in 1970. :tounge2:

• Like 1

a "Throwback Year?"

and on and on

No. I can think of only a few cases where the newer musical version rendition was as good as the original.

Its sort of like Movies remakes, or " Part 2's ", Part 3's," etc. Rarely are they as entertaining as the original.

Plus, in 10-20 years do I want to hear 2012 DCI Titleist BD do Cabaret Voltaire show music again ? No. Once was enough in my lifetime for this as well.

Edited by BRASSO