Old Corps Props Never Die - Just Recycled

Someone posted on DCP earlier that Clare was a prop with BD. If so, I wonder where she'll end up?

LOL! (sorry)

A band from El Paso, TX appears to use old Troopers uniforms for their drum majors. (The high school mascot is a cavalry soldier).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=185rrFFhCzg

Cal High from San Ramon, CA used some Feliniesque props for their winter show last year. Andrew Odello is the driving force behind them of course. We miss him at Foothill but my son is still teaching there.

Speaking of Feliniesque, the drums from that year found their way to Wren High School, all the way in Piedmont, SC.

Screenshot_2015-10-27-01-10-59_zpsckf1xn

Do we think this is new? In Massachusetts, 27th Lancers was probably the most innovative corps in my youth, more so than BAC and North Star, which is not to say they were not influential. BAC's fierce determination was always respected and North Star's entertainment qualities were always loved, but these would have been the George Zingali, Peggy Twiggs, Jim Wedge days, and 27th was a trend setter and given their placements in DCI finals, a standard bearer. 27th had the two flags on one pole, four or five Corps or bands that competed in the CYO or Eastern Mass circuits followed. 27th spinned rifles while flat on their back, copy cats followed.,27th flag toss, others followed suit. Drum line does not follow elevator style matching and the rifle line breaks through, others do the same. Apart from 27th, I can remember exact duplications of arrangements, sometimes a corps using the same piece to prove they could do it better, one umpmanship. How many chorus line kicks did we see after the Bridgemen?

Now props are being borrowed, recycled, or perhaps giving nod to intellectual copyright, stolen, by bands. No surprise, and since some claim bands do many of the things corps do first, and others believe bands are where designers experiment, some of what is not bring borrowed, stolen, or recycled is what we'll see next summer. If it's done well, we forget it has been recycled.

Have you spotted any DCI 2015 props in High School or College band shows?

I've known about this one for a while, but didn't have any photos until the last competition of the season. Rome (GA) High School Marching Band acquired the gold Carolina Crown banner to use in their finale to their "Salvation Lies Within" show. This is from this year's Peach State competition. Rome HS was the host band, so they performed in exhibition along with the JSU Marching Southerners.

DSC_0179.JPG

Are there any other Corps props living out their retirement with appreciative bands? Please let us know, with pictures if you have them.

Two of the bands at the show we attended in South Jersey this past weekend did that same move, though with different color sheets over the top of the band.

Do we think this is new? In Massachusetts, 27th Lancers was probably the most innovative corps in my youth, more so than BAC and North Star, which is not to say they were not influential. BAC's fierce determination was always respected and North Star's entertainment qualities were always loved, but these would have been the George Zingali, Peggy Twiggs, Jim Wedge days, and 27th was a trend setter and given their placements in DCI finals, a standard bearer. 27th had the two flags on one pole, four or five Corps or bands that competed in the CYO or Eastern Mass circuits followed. 27th spinned rifles while flat on their back, copy cats followed.,27th flag toss, others followed suit. Drum line does not follow elevator style matching and the rifle line breaks through, others do the same. Apart from 27th, I can remember exact duplications of arrangements, sometimes a corps using the same piece to prove they could do it better, one umpmanship. How many chorus line kicks did we see after the Bridgemen?

Now props are being borrowed, recycled, or perhaps giving nod to intellectual copyright, stolen, by bands. No surprise, and since some claim bands do many of the things corps do first, and others believe bands are where designers experiment, some of what is not bring borrowed, stolen, or recycled is what we'll see next summer. If it's done well, we forget it has been recycled.

I know of a St. Patrick's Day parade that actually gave a faux trophy for any musical unit which played something other than Garyowen or Jim Wedge's arrangement of Danny Boy (both which were heard a zillion times up the Avenue.)

Edited by xandandl

Do we think this is new? In Massachusetts, 27th Lancers was probably the most innovative corps in my youth, more so than BAC .

Zingalli's Drill & Guard work with 27th, perhaps Yes. Its all a matter of opinion of course, but in Percussion for example, Boston was not only the most innovative Drum Corps in the Northeast, a compelling case can be made( that in bygone days), the Boston Crusaders were one of the most innovative and creative Percussion lines in the entire Country ( and maybe in History too ) ie... 1st Drum Corps to march double tenors.... 1st Drum Corps to march a Timpani..... 1st Drum Corps ever to use " electronics ", ( a syntheziser) in DCI competition ( willing to take a DCI penalty in competition for the freedom to use it too, as it was prohibited at the time ).. among other innovation " firsts " by BAC in Percussion. Just sayin', you know ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Zingalli's Drill & Guard work with 27th, perhaps Yes. Its all a matter of opinion of course, but in Percussion for example, Boston was not only the most innovative Drum Corps in the Northeast, a compelling case can be made( that in bygone days), the Boston Crusaders were one of the most innovative and creative Percussion lines in the entire Country ( and maybe in History too ) ie... 1st Drum Corps to march double tenors.... 1st Drum Corps to march a Timpani..... 1st Drum Corps ever to use " electronics ", ( a syntheziser) in DCI competition ( willing to take a DCI penalty in competition for the freedom to use it too, as it was prohibited at the time ).. among other innovation " firsts " by BAC in Percussion. Just sayin', you know ?

Thanks for the historical perspective and information, BRASSO. It's always welcomed with these particular open arms.

• Like 1

Two of the bands at the show we attended in South Jersey this past weekend did that same move, though with different color sheets over the top of the band.

Which was (I think) first used by the Union HS Winter Guard in about 1985 and the Center Grove HS Marching Band in 1987.