2015 DCI DVD/Blu-Ray to be Top-12 Only

I would think so, because prelims is the Theater broadcast (including clips of each corps from 16 and under, and Semis is broadcast online. They will be broadcasting both live, so I don't think they would NOT record while broadcasting

Oh, that's true; I had forgotten about that. Good point.

This isn't "everyone gets a trophy", it's how can DCI #GrowDrumCorps better. 12 corps is probably the best number for Finals night due to time constraints, but there's nothing that says it's a requirement for the video release. Shows like Troop and Colts are going to expand the potential audience more than Generic Finalists 1 and 2 and should have been included.

If we're in a new world then so be it, but at least all options should be on the table.

Now this is just my opinion, and purely my opinion, Troops show was ok. I thought it was awesome at the preview, but it didn't get better through the season. It got cleaner, but it didn't get more interesting or visually stimulating. It was good, for a corps that's been stuck in the back of the pack, but it wasn't amazing. As for the Colts, I feel bad for those kids who marched around on a field, only to be upstaged by a stage, and a story, and a few characters acting in Pantomime. That show, was not good. Again, it may have been clean, but that show felt like it took years off my life. And I'm actually angry, that kids busted their butts to march around on a field and clean drill and music, that no one watched. They were 145 backup singers.

As for growing drum corps, they can't grow it if they don't exist. They can't exist if they don't break even, and knowing what I know of licensing and costs nowadays, they wouldn't be breaking even. They'd be sending the organization skyrocketing to the red to make a few hundred people happy. It's just not good business sense.

• Like 6

maybe the right compromise is 'full show from the top 12 and Selections from some/all of the Semi-finalists.'

the corps director can choose the piece from their show they want to include, DCI has a 'we will pay the first $X to acquire that piece, but if the piece you want from your show costs more than that then it's on you' policy.

not ideal, but maybe the most appealing and cost-friendly option?

Edited by 31rabbit

In this GoPro, selfie world, in which nothing exists unless it has been recorded and uploaded, would a potential marching member even consider auditioning for a corps that stood even the slightest chance of not making finals and thus not having his/her summer of blood/sweat/tears preserved on DVD?

Does a 21st-Century millennial want any part of a corps whose final and best performance of the year is not preserved? And if not, what implications does this business decision have for the general health of the activity?

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

In this GoPro, selfie world, in which nothing exists unless it has been recorded and uploaded, would a potential marching member even consider auditioning for a corps that stood even the slightest chance of not making finals and thus not having his/her summer of blood/sweat/tears preserved on DVD?

Does a 21st-Century millennial want any part of a corps whose final and best performance of the year is not preserved? And if not, what implications does this business decision have for the general health of the activity?

People have been auditioning for corps in 13---->Whatever and open class for years. I don't think that's going to stop them. I also don't think it will drive away the "regional" participants. Those who march in the Academy for example. This is a great corps that I would guess gets lots of their members from driving distance to camps. Or Legends, who get more regional members, than they do from areas where members have to fly to attend camps. I think it will drive more business to the top 12, however, those who don't make the top 12 will continue to audition for places that will help them get into the top 12. What I think needs to happen, at the very least, is that Tresona/DCI find a way to make a agreement like we have in the theatre for the recording of performances for "Archival Purposes Only". Which means the corps, and the kids who march in the corps can get a copy of their last performance for themselves from their corps. But they can't purchase it from anyone, nor can DCI sell it to anyone. The members also can't copy and sell it or redistribute it.

Edited by C.Holland

I'm pretty sure DCI is willing to do what makes sense to make all happy. The key words are makes sense

Time for everyone to do all-original shows? No licensing to deal with then.

Sorry for being so late in response to this. While the all-original aspect would most certainly be helpful in alleviating the various licensing and rights costs which come with arranging music not in the public domain, it conversely also opens up the question as to whether or not this would be helpful from the standpoint of fan interest. I would guess that there is a segment of DCI's current fandom who attend partially based on familiarity with a given corps' repertoire being performed that season, whether it be from that corps' own traditions or a different take on music made memorable by a different corps. I'm not certain that in totality, the wider-based fandom would continue to support performance shows which consist solely of music never before heard or created. It is much the same with any city's Symphony Orchestra, which more than likely still find their strongest concerts (from an attendance perspective) being those which feature one or two chestnuts on the program (Beethoven 5th or 9th, Shostakovich 5th, Mahler 3rd, Brahms 4th, etc.). When the occasional 20th (or 21st) Century "World Premier" concert comes along (and yes, I've attended those as well), it is very often met with a diminished attendance figure -- sometimes markedly so. And I'm not sure as to whether this would be something that DCI would venture to gamble on in this day and age of an ultra financially-sensitive society.

Sorry for being so late in response to this. While the all-original aspect would most certainly be helpful in alleviating the various licensing and rights costs which come with arranging music not in the public domain, it conversely also opens up the question as to whether or not this would be helpful from the standpoint of fan interest. I would guess that there is a segment of DCI's current fandom who attend partially based on familiarity with a given corps' repertoire being performed that season, whether it be from that corps' own traditions or a different take on music made memorable by a different corps. I'm not certain that in totality, the wider-based fandom would continue to support performance shows which consist solely of music never before heard or created. It is much the same with any city's Symphony Orchestra, which more than likely still find their strongest concerts (from an attendance perspective) being those which feature one or two chestnuts on the program (Beethoven 5th or 9th, Shostakovich 5th, Mahler 3rd, Brahms 4th, etc.). When the occasional 20th (or 21st) Century "World Premier" concert comes along (and yes, I've attended those as well), it is very often met with a diminished attendance figure -- sometimes markedly so. And I'm not sure as to whether this would be something that DCI would venture to gamble on in this day and age of an ultra financially-sensitive society.

Not just this but what would make anyone think that those composing for a corps wouldn't copyright their works for current or future use?

If DCI is making money off someones work , why wouldn't someone want a piece of that pie. Just a thought.

I politely beg to differ. In the orchestra world, aside from season subscribers and die-hard fans, people will attend concerts based on the programming choices. In the drum corps world, I'd venture to say that a good portion of the audience has no idea what selection each corps is playing, let alone if they are actually familiar with or heard of any of the selections a given corps is using. So what would be the difference with original music?

Again, I would venture to say that aside from the die-hard fans who know everything there is to know about corps repertoires before they see a given show, a good portion of the rest of the audience goes to a given show because of the excellence aspect, regardless of what a corps is playing. They are either in marching band, were in marching band, know someone who was in marching band, or like marching band, and they know that this is the top of the marching arts activity, and they will buy tickets to go see a show regardless of what each corps is playing (IMHO).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

2015 World Championship DVDs & Blu-rays

We’re writing to provide a quick update on the status of our production of the DVDs and Blu-ray discs recorded live at the 2015 Drum Corps International World Championship Finals.

We continue to make progress in securing all of the permissions necessary to produce and release the video recordings of the outstanding finalist performances from last summer, but we're still awaiting the final few licenses to complete the process.

We're optimistic that we will be wrapped up and on our way within the next few weeks, but we do not have a confirmed production deadline at this time. We'll be sure to keep you updated as additional information becomes available.

We thank you once again for your patience and for your continued support of the remarkable young people who take the field each summer in the pursuit of excellence on the Drum Corps International Tour.