Stanford Band at it again...

Also, the leader of the Stanford band gave am explanation about the halftime show on their FB page.

It was written at the intellectual level of about a 6 year old. It didn't need an explanation.

Quality can be a relative term, ranging from the imaginary ISIS All-Mideast Honor Band and the Stanford Marching Band on the low end, to Ohio State and a few others in college on the other end. I don't agree that all college bands are just for credit or just for fun. However, I suspect that many are. And, 'in the grand scheme of things,' I doubt there are many viewers out there who view a Stanford performance and come away thinking that the dreck on display was awesome sauce.

I know several people who arent in the activity that think it's funny as hell

Your argument has morphed from....they are entertaining and harmless fun and sarcasm...to discussing their quality. I'm not saying you need to see them live to see their quality. I'm saying you need to see them live to appreciate their real vulgarity, and that what do significantly departs from good clean fun and teasing. Until you do get the "full experience" live, I can understand how you would tend to think...."what's the big deal"?

i never said i found them truly entertaining. some people feel that way, some don't. To be honest, I don't really follow them, and most of my exposure is the cal game from 82 and that poor trombone player.

if i were to see it live, to be honest, I wouldn't care about quality. It's a college band. I don't pay to go see them like I do drum corps, if I am at a college football game, i';m there for the game. I'll watch the bands, but I'm not expecting DCI top 5 or even top 25. I see all these youtube videos of college lines throwing out their #### like they are SCv jr, and too often it's a clearly over written bag of notes they can't possibly get clean on their schedule. Therefore, I don't go in looking for quality. i watch it, i applaud, and then I get back with the game.

and hell, if I was a quality snob, when I go to drum corps shows, i wouldn't watch just every corps there that night, but I'd hang in the lot til the top dawgs came on....like many people on here do

• Like 1

Obviously, the Alumni don't care. If the right well-heeled ones did, this would have been put down like what happened at the University of Virginia. There, the College President obviously had it in for them, and my guess is that important Alumni with money helped him along with the decision. I do believe that in that case, some Alumni offered serious money to equip the band and pay for the director of a "Real" Marching Band at UVA as well.

Follow the money. :satisfied:

It was $1M+ specifically for a marching band, as part of a larger donation.

I have laughed hard over the years at some of the Stanford band skits. But, then they ruin it all by playing almost as well as your average 6th grade band...for me, they are a double edge sword.

Does anyone know what that "mascot" that appears with the Standord band is supposed to be? I think it's a tree trunk with branches.

It's a Tree. The Stanford mascot is the color "cardinal," so they came up with the mascot (maybe as voted by students?) of a Tree.

Yeah, I know probably as many people who find them entertaining as those who find them annoying (Or whatever adjective one wants to characterize them as).

Remember, they play rock charts almost exclusively, so they play popular music that fans/casual observers can get into (as opposed to even popular classical music like Copland or something that large swaths of a football crowd might find boring).