Stanford Band at it again...

Joking against the opposing school is one thing. Insults towards people not connected to the team you're playing against is another. Just get that "I'm so superior to you peasants" nose in the air crap vibe.

Trying to remember the "Salute to West Virginia" years back which had dumb jokes towards inbreeding, chemical leaks, etc. If such things were of a racial/religious matter doubt if the band would be around.

Oh come on: if we're talking about "Iowa farmer/hick jokes," ANYONE who has marched a midwest tour has likely made the same jokes while traveling the "cornfield" tour (which I believe Colts officially call their localish part of the tour).

I personally think anyone who takes themselves so seriously that a marching band offends their sensibilities by making fun of farmers or cow tipping has FAR more legit issues with themselves to work through

Check the band's Wiki page - they've done a *lot* of tasteless religious "jokes" at Notre Dame games, including their DM dressing like a nun and conducting with a wooden cross.

Mike

Yeah the Notre Dame stuff over the years is pretty funny IMO (I like the one that teased the "fighting" Irish stereotype myself). Or the OJ Simpson/white Bronco chase show they did vs USC in the 90s.

The band is goofy, silly college-age level fun, nothing more. People take things WAY more serious than they should. I love tOSU Marching Band, and am always proud when I see a video of one of their shows go super viral (note: I never marched in the band, just went to the University). But at the end of the day, it's just a silly college marching band halftime show and nothing more: tOSU has their more serious approach, and Stanford has their far less serious approach.

It's a Tree. The Stanford mascot is the color "cardinal," so they came up with the mascot (maybe as voted by students?) of a Tree.

The original Stanfurd mascot was the indian. They later became the "cardinal" (the color, not the bird). I don't know why they use a tree as a mascot, though there is one on the college seal. They have often been referred to as the "Stanfurd Farm" which is kinda funny thinking of their Rose Bowl show.

Personally, I think of them as the Leland Stanford...Junior University. The best "Junior University" in the Bay Area.

The Stanford band performing at the Rose Bowl was way bigger than they usually are. The actual band is about half that size. So I'm assuming that they got others to "perform" just for the Rose Bowl. They have always been this way from at least the early 80's. Remember the trombone player and the "PLAY" in the Big Game btw Cal. and Stanford in 1982? I call them the anti-traditional marching band as they don't actually march like a college band.

The original Stanfurd mascot was the indian. They later became the "cardinal" (the color, not the bird). I don't know why they use a tree as a mascot, though there is one on the college seal. They have often been referred to as the "Stanfurd Farm" which is kinda funny thinking of their Rose Bowl show.

Personally, I think of them as the Leland Stanford...Junior University. The best "Junior University" in the Bay Area.

According to what I could (quickly) find, the tree is representative of the City of Palo Alto, in which the University resides. The tree is also present on the seal of the City of Palo Alto, and one would suspect that it is emblematic of the prolific California Redwood. I would also guess that some would say that it also represents "The Tree of Knowledge" -- and not exactly out of line with what some consider Stanford's self-aggrandizing ideals. (This commercial message brought to you by the CCSWT -- the Cliff Claven Society for Worthless Trivia.)

I'm surprised that this hasn't led to another school's Marching Band performing a "Dumb as a Bump on a Log" halftime show when they happen to play against Stanford. All in good fun, of course. :ninja::peek::ninja:

Edited by HornTeacher

Disagree that farmer/hick jokes = jokes about chemical leaks..... at least I never heard about 2000 deaths (Bhopal) from being a hick....

And disagree that jokes being told In private on a tour are the same as having them told over the loudspeaker to a captive audience at a football game. In private you have the option to leave or tell them to knock it off. But Stanfords above it all so shut up and listen you knuckle draggers.

The Stanford band performing at the Rose Bowl was way bigger than they usually are. The actual band is about half that size. So I'm assuming that they got others to "perform" just for the Rose Bowl. They have always been this way from at least the early 80's. Remember the trombone player and the "PLAY" in the Big Game btw Cal. and Stanford in 1982? I call them the anti-traditional marching band as they don't actually march like a college band.

I think they'd call themselves this as well

Let me share a couple of nuggets of "non-traditional" (read as Corps style) College bands folks might enjoy since we've been talking about the equivalent of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Marching Band. I sense some of you need and would enjoy some of these:

No links, I don't want to get in trouble, and we're all smart enough to do searches...

On YouTube:

search "TCU Adventures in Time" for a 2005 performance/Brass-cam run of the show. In your face/no apologies/take no prisoners upper brass, nice bone soloist in "Quintile".. this coulda been a nice show for Westshore, the Brigs, or Empire. The arrangement of "Aspect", pretty decent, nice upper brass gunner line at the end, DCA/Scouts worthy.

Next, search "2015 WCU Golden Rams Marching Band", choose the "CMBF Allentown" one, I think the sound is a lot better. Yeah- I'm an Alumni, Ex-FOC instructor, KK-Psi brother/Eta Rho..., but I think this is pretty daggone good stuff. Andy's arrangements of Debussy are really scintillating. The question that's been on my mind, there are at least 2 DCA corps that could use Andy's arranging talents. Why haven't they begged him to write for them? :satisfied:

Hopefully this will take the bad taste out of some folks' mouths that they seem to have gotten while reading this thread. Hope you enjoy these. :satisfied:

• Like 5

Aren't WCU the folks with that drumline? If so, they're friggin awesome.

Mike

That's the other WCU - Western Carolina University. The band BigW is referring to is West Chester University. Edited by Cadevilina Crown