1.5 Billion Dollar Powerball. How many drum corps do you start?

I just bring back Westshore and move the Crossmen back home.

oh and build a stadium

Same here.

I'd build a stadium designed to host DCA championships and other corps and band shows, in any circuit.

And I'd start an all-age corps. A revived Westshoremen would fit that bill.

Heck, even if we never win, our members and staff will travel first class, all the time. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Not a one. Instead, I'd invest a million to two million a year for 10 years in the DCI organization, with the restriction that it be employed to hire a promotions and marketing team who can better capitalize on the product that's already out there.

Once the audience, funders, and corporate sponsors have been cultivated better than is being done now, there'll be enough money in the system that others who are interested in forming corps may find greater community support to start them.

Teach an organization how to fish.....or at least, how to stop sucking at fishing....

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

Not a one. Instead, I'd invest a million to two million a year for 10 years in the DCI organization, with the restriction that it be employed to hire a promotions and marketing team who can better capitalize on the product that's already out there.

Once the audience, funders, and corporate sponsors have been cultivated better than is being done now, there'll be enough money in the system that others who are interested in forming corps may find greater community support to start them.

Teach an organization how to fish.....or at least, how to stop sucking at fishing....

But there are those who want to go deep-sea fishing for killer whales and others who are content with a few goldfish in the bowl. Here on DCP, it's usually the sharks...

Would not start one. Just cover the production costs for Finals Saturday in a non dome stadium with no commercials and it would have to be shown on a major network that anyone without cable/satellite could watch. It would be promoted for at least one month beforehand. The show would allow TV viewers to communicate their top five picks. The director would be instructed to only show mm and the crowd. All staff from corps would be in the first couple of rows outside the 30 yard lines and no one from any corps will be allowed on the area between the pit and stadium.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

I would actually give donations of about $50,000-$100,000 to smaller marching band programs around the country. Many times these programs struggle to cover costs as they are not supported by the local board of education, and fundraising only goes so far when you have a small community and only 30-40 students in the program.

First: don't take the annuity option. The rate of return they give you is crap. You can make 10X more investing in safe mutual funds AND have access to $625 million in two weeks. You spend 15% and save 85% and you live off of $25 million in income for life without ever touching the principle.

Second: I'd invest a portion of the money to cover all rights fees for all of DCI and DCA every year. Let anybody play anything they want.

Third: I'd set aside the same percentage for my favorite DCI and DCA corps as I do for other charitable entities. That would mean $9 million up front and $500,000 per year forever.

In case you're wondering, I've been a corporate accountant for 20 years and I have a spreadsheet that calculates every amount about winning the lottery. I did it on a dare about 8 years ago and I update it every few months. If you tip the guy who sold you the winning ticket 0.2% of your take home after taxes, that would be over $ 1 million.

• Like 1

First: don't take the annuity option. The rate of return they give you is crap. You can make 10X more investing in safe mutual funds AND have access to $625 million in two weeks. You spend 15% and save 85% and you live off of $25 million in income for life without ever touching the principle.

Mutual Funds investment capital are not... repeat..... NOT guaranteed. There are high risk- high reward Funds and low risk- low reward Funds, and balanced funds that split the difference. Giving financial advice on what to do without knowing ones financial situation, future needs, risk tolerance, current investment portfolios, time horizon for withdrawals of the capital , etc and so forth would be like a physician prescribing what to do on a medical condition without knowing that person's health status, current medications, potential for adverse reactions to medications, and without properly running tests and personally examining the patient. There is a reason why physicians tend not to give individual patients advice on a medical condition without personally meeting the patient and running tests. Trustful and knowledgeable Financial Planners worth their salt don't tell people what to do on ANY investment vehicle, be it an annuity, mutual funds, bonds, stock, real estate, insurance, commodities, collectibles, cash, CD's, etc until they have properly diagnosed " the patient " wants, needs, risk tolerance, financial goals, financial means, and their time horizon for withdrawals, as well as the taxable consequences of each potential investment. There are also potential penalties for early withdrawal of some investment(s) before its maturity period is reached that need to be intelligently considered. As such, there are times when an Annuity makes perfect sense for the individual investor as part of their overall broad investment portfolio, and other times when a Mutual Fund might make better sense instead of an Annuity. And other times when frankly neither would really be all that appropriate.

Edited by BRASSO

Two corps would get a significant donation. One in World class and one in Open class.

I might start one in Baltimore. (but hire people to run it, i have enough on my plate as is)

DCI and DCA get not even $0.01.

After that I'll start an age out corps to compete with the Couchmen... The Golfmen. I may start that anyway.

• Like 1

Mutual Funds investment capital are not... repeat..... NOT guaranteed. There are high risk- high reward Funds and low risk- low reward Funds, and balanced funds that split the difference. Giving financial advice on what to do without knowing ones financial situation, future needs, risk tolerance, current investment portfolios, time horizon for withdrawals of the capital , etc and so forth would be like a physician prescribing what to do on a medical condition without knowing that person's health status, current medications, potential for adverse reactions to medications, and without properly running tests and personally examining the patient. There is a reason why physicians tend not to give individual patients advice on a medical condition without personally meeting the patient and running tests. Trustful and knowledgeable Financial Planners worth their salt don't tell people what to do on ANY investment vehicle, be it an annuity, mutual funds, bonds, stock, real estate, insurance, commodities, collectibles, cash, CD's, etc until they have properly diagnosed " the patient " wants, needs, risk tolerance, financial goals, financial means, and their time horizon for withdrawals, as well as the taxable consequences of each potential investment. There are also potential penalties for early withdrawal of some investment(s) before its maturity period is reached that need to be intelligently considered. As such, there are times when an Annuity makes perfect sense for the individual investor as part of their overall broad investment portfolio, and other times when a Mutual Fund might make better sense instead of an Annuity. And other times when frankly neither would really be all that appropriate.

Sheesh, chill! I'm not handing out financial advice to a retired couple from Skokie! We're talking about the bleepin' lottery!

I did, however, work for 2 years at a broker/dealer office that handled over $1 billion in assets. I personally worked with their #1 investment advisor who handled over $8 million in new investments every year (that's 1995 dollars btw). I can tell you, without qualification, that the only guaranteed investment instruments are government backed bonds, which currently yield less than 5%. I can find you 25 mutual funds today that have returned 10% over a 5 year, 10 year, 15 year, and 20 year span. The lottery's ROI, based on the time value of money stream, returns less than 5%, which is the equivalent of 8.25% in taxable instruments such as mutual funds. I have managed to invest my own retirement funds to the tune of a 15% annual return. A life insurance salesman, who I know personally through the Knights of Columbus, just did an assessment of our finances and told me we're better off than 99% of his clients. I think I'm covered here.

I can also tell you that buying more than 1 lottery ticket is a waste of money, but that's a post for another thread...

• Like 1